S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2k('02-'03) or ITR('00-'01)

Old 11-18-2002, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2k('02-'03) or ITR('00-'01)

Hello everyone, I've been wanting a different car for a long time, I love both cars, but I always wanted a S2k, but then my budgets will be so narrow if I go with the S2k, also I've never driven an ITR, can somebody please tell me how the handling feels on the ITR, & comparing to S2k's, thanks.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:43 PM

two TOTALLY different cars. Just the FWD and RWD makes all the diffference. If you are looking for a true sports car, it has to be RWD. of course RWD is harder to drive too, so it really depends on what you want. Both are great cars. Here is a quick comp on a few key issues:
S2000 --> Roadster, ITR--> hardtop only
Nothing beast a Roadster with eth top down! S2000

S2000 --> RWD , ITR --> FWD
RWD handles so much better, but its somethig that many FWD drivers need to learn S2000

S2000 --> >$32-33k , ITR --> <$30k
If cost is a major issue, ie you need to borrow a ton of $ for the car, then the ITR may be a better bet.ITR
Old 11-18-2002, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2000 --> >$32-33k , ITR --> <$30k
You can get an ITR for MUCH less than $30K. Check out the Integra Type R section of www.honda-tech.com. Also check out www.itrca.com. I believe they go for about $16-22K, depending on year, mileage, and condition. Personally, if an S2000 was a bit out of my budget, I would definitely go with an ITR - they're awesome cars. Otherwise, if you can comfortably afford the S2000, go for it, I highly doubt you'll regret it.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:56 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

ITR all the way. While I love (and want) the S2000, if the budget is going to be really tight, you'll probably not enjoy it quite as much. With the ITR you could add a few mods without killing your cash flow and you'd have a great car. Get what you can afford, then later on get the S2000 when you can afford it more easily. It might not be the funnest way to do it, but it's definitely easier in the long run. Considering the ITR is $10K less, your payments will be significantly less as well (couple hundred dollars, roughly).
Old 11-19-2002, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I would say the ITR too. Don't over extend yourself on car. The ITR is a great handler and is quick to boot. You can't go wrong with it. Good luck
Old 11-19-2002, 04:08 AM

i had a 2001 ITR...traded it in on an s2000. There are plusses and minuses to both cars. I beleieve the ITR is more "practical" and safe...it is also noisy and ill mannered at times. The s2000 <i own a 2002> is more refined and higher performance...and less 'practical" The ITR is fwd and modified from factory to do what it does, the s2000 RWD and is purpose designed and built to do what it does. So in my opinion...if you can afford the s2000 GET IT!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:50 AM

While I've seen some very young "owners" on this forum, there's nothing like financial responsibility. I wanted a Z3 back when I saw James Bond driving one! And I'd really like a Jaguar now, but I couldn't/can't afford them! If you'd be stretched by buying a $35k car, just put it on the back burner. Get something less expensive, and less exotic than the S2K for now--or you'll worry yourself sick about it getting vandalized or just door-dinged. This automobile is not practical--it is a luxury, an expensive toy, and a tool for some, but there are many other choices for transportation.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:56 AM

I had an 01 Type R #169. I only had for around 8 months before it was stolen and stripped. I loved that car. I didn't really know what to get after the R. I have always driven Hondas, so for me the next step up was the S2k. That is how I see it. I think the cars are comparable. Both are great handlers, I don't know which I like better in the handling department. The S is quicker over all. These cars are not drag cars so don't be confused. I can say that the R will take all the abuse you can throw at it. The S has the weakest clutch I have ever seen in a 200 hp+ car. The Type R tranny is smooth and it shifts like no other. As for Vtec.......I think every one needs to drive a Type R just to hear the cross over. You can't go wrong when choosing between these two cars.

The Integra was the most stolen car last year and insurance rates will reflect this. My insurance dropped when I bought my S.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:03 AM

There are also other nice cars out there to consider, and you wouldn't have to feel like you're compromising...

If you're willing to wait a little while, the 350Z base model will eventually come in well under $30k, though that's not going to happen for some time. Look at the Mini, which may not be hugely fast from the factory, but is a lot of fun and can be modded nicely too. Or, just find a nice used S2000 in the low $20's - pretty easy in the winter. There's nothing at all wrong with the ITR though...it's a great car and can be very fast... You just don't want to spend a lot of money, be it $15k or $30k, and feel like you've compromised.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:11 AM

agreed, stay within limits...just break down your expenses and all that. See how much you can afford without sacrificing your way of living too much. But if you can afford it and still go on with your business...do not pass up on owning an s2000. You will NOT regret it...never...ever.

but if it just doesn't seem practical (funny since the s2000 is anything but a practical car), then there is no shame in owning an ITR. An awesome machine as well.

Good luck in your decision!
PAYCE

Quick Reply: S2k('02-'03) or ITR('00-'01)