S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 vs . Expedition

Old 11-21-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 vs . Expedition

Like an idiot, I bump into the back of a 99 Expedition going 15 mph. My car is lowered so I actually collide with his tow hitch. There is no suspension or frame damage to my car but the tow hitch did put a gash in my front bumper. The driver of the Expedition is claiming I may have caused frame damage to his car. Is that at all possible considering the nature of the accident? Hell, is it possible I caused any damage at all? After the collision his car looked completely fine and everyone was okay - thats why we didn't call any cops to the scene. Now he may be claiming otherwise? Any thoughts are welcome are much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

If he claimes otherwise, state that he backed into your S. Its plausible, and there's no proof either way.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:02 PM

Tell him to get the frame checked at a body shop (they have machines to measure it with a laser). If there is frame damage, then you pay for him getting it checked and you pay for the repair, as you should. If there is no damage, he pays for getting his car checked.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:07 PM

The only possible damage that you could have cause his vehicle was put a scratch on his shiny tow hitch. He's probably deducing that anybody who drives a car like that must be loaded, and he probibly thinks he's going to clean up. Like Saki GT said, if there are no witnesses then he backed into you
Old 11-21-2005, 01:11 PM

That is what we are in the process of doing but this guy is not the most trustworthy individual. Hence my question as to whether or not that type of damage is even possible on a car that size at that speed. As soon as he got out of the car he stated he was hurt, while every other passenger said they were fine. He actually just called and said there was $450 in frame damage but he can't provide me a copy of the estimate. Since when is $450 enough to cover frame damage? I may just pay him off and be done with him.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:15 PM
VAD

I would bet that the Expedouche sustained ZERO damage.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:17 PM

becareful with paying him off...i would have an attorney draft up some document that precludes him from going after you or your insurance company after you pay him...if he's a deceitful weasel he'll try to extract as much as he can.

and honestly i higly doubt you did anything to his expo...it may have been pre-existing as well.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:17 PM

That's what insurance is for. You pay them so that they will deal with guys like this.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Notfullflip,Nov 21 2005, 02:11 PM
That is what we are in the process of doing but this guy is not the most trustworthy individual. Hence my question as to whether or not that type of damage is even possible on a car that size at that speed. As soon as he got out of the car he stated he was hurt, while every other passenger said they were fine. He actually just called and said there was $450 in frame damage but he can't provide me a copy of the estimate. Since when is $450 enough to cover frame damage? I may just pay him off and be done with him.
Don't you dare! And why aren't you getting an estimate for your car's damage and making him pay for that? Ever heard of zero liabilty?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

DON'T pay him off - that sets a precedent for culpability. If all you have is a crumpled bumper, he has no frame damage on a body-on-frame trunk that can tow 8,000 pounds. If your engine was in your passenger seat, an Expedition might get frame damage.

Fact is, he was an idiot for not calling the police and reporting it, but that's to your benefit. If he wants to push, tell him to call his insurance company and put a claim in. Just don't admit fault, especially now that its after the fact.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs . Expedition