S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 vibrations

Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Dec 9 2010, 11:43 PM
Looks like those replying and saying they have lots of vibrations all have AP1's. One more reason AP2 > AP1 I guess.

My 2002 doesn't shake or rattle any more than any other S2000 I've been in. These are pure, rugged sport cars, no balance shafts, stiff engine mounts, stiff suspension, solid shifter....there will be vibrations....especially at low rpms.

EDIT: also an aftermarket exhaust is going to complicate things by producing high frequency resonance vibrations. Due to the stiff suspension on these cars...they are very unforgiving about bad tires or brakes and will transfer those vibrations directly to the chassis.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

break = present tense verb; ex: "I'll break your face"
brake = noun; ex: "The brakes on my car make it slow down"
Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JLUDE,Dec 10 2010, 06:44 AM
My 2002 doesn't shake or rattle any more than any other S2000 I've been in. These are pure, rugged sport cars, no balance shafts, stiff engine mounts, stiff suspension, solid shifter....there will be vibrations....especially at low rpms.
Do we really have no balance shafts?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Dec 10 2010, 02:43 AM
Toyota Avalon, Infiniti G35, Nissan Xterra, Honda Insight (the original), Volkswagen Touareg. There really aren't any rattles or vibrations in my car.

Looks like those replying and saying they have lots of vibrations all have AP1's. One more reason AP2 > AP1 I guess.
Most vibrations and noises come from modding. Firmer suspension, exhaust etc. If yours is all stock shouldn't have many especially since ap2 has softer suspension for more comfort.
Also mileage plays a big role in rattles.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by So_Tits,Dec 9 2010, 09:24 PM
What did you own before? A tractor trailer? Mine vibrates all the time, the ride sucks, the engine vibrates pretty horribly when idling down, wind noise, road noise, whistling noises, etc. Answer: Crank up the radio, and grab some RPMs.

Try this: if your seats are all the way back, they WILL rattle. Move them up one click. Being 6' and having big friends, I had to do this with both seats.
good tip! took away some noise and vibrations
lol but theres a lot left but ill learn to live with it (:
Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by hrpfg2,Dec 9 2010, 11:15 PM
my friends are always asking if my mounts bad bc my shifter vibrate so much..
MY FRIENDS TOO >.< THEY
THINK I BOUGHT A CRAP CAR LOL
pisses me off
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Motor mounts do go bad in this car. People who have autocrossed and tracked their cars have noticed failures. Easy enough to check from underneath with a flashlight. The oil in the mount is reddish-orange and will be coming from the torn rubber.

2. We have an AP1 and an AP2. There shouldn't be much shift knob vibration at idle.

3. The vibration that "goes away" when you rev could be engine. It's just masked at higher rpms. If idle isn't "even" and you hear missing and stumbling, it could be plugs or injectors. Try some good fuel injector cleaner and check your plugs.

Post vids if you want more opinions. Descriptions are pretty worthless.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And this other thread you posted makes me think there's something wrong with your combustion.

Originally Posted by s2cho,Dec 9 2010, 02:32 PM
i try that and my car starts and shakes as its on 2 cylinders
and when it turns on it seems like a belt screeches.
but a little rev to 3-4 makes the sound go away
Old 12-10-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Dec 10 2010, 09:49 PM
1. Motor mounts do go bad in this car. People who have autocrossed and tracked their cars have noticed failures. Easy enough to check from underneath with a flashlight. The oil in the mount is reddish-orange and will be coming from the torn rubber.

2. We have an AP1 and an AP2. There shouldn't be much shift knob vibration at idle.

3. The vibration that "goes away" when you rev could be engine. It's just masked at higher rpms. If idle isn't "even" and you hear missing and stumbling, it could be plugs or injectors. Try some good fuel injector cleaner and check your plugs.

Post vids if you want more opinions. Descriptions are pretty worthless.
i shall try and make a video before i go to work (:
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM

I would say motor mounts are shot. I just had mine replaced yesterday after it was in an accident. When I first got it back the vibes were terrible and there was a squeaking when I would hit bumps. Took a flashlight and looked at the mounts and both were toast, one of which had been bad before the accident. Night and day difference.

I bought this car used and it had some vibes at start up but nothing serious, now this thing has never driven better. No vibrations, shifting gears is absolutely perfection and even took out some clutch noise it had during gear shifts. Hell, the soft top latches don't even rattle as bad either.

You can easily see the driver side mount, passenger is a little trickier but can still be seen. Just pop the hood and grab a bright flashlight to see if that's the issue.

Quick Reply: s2000 vibrations