S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Type V ????

Old 09-09-2002, 01:26 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts
Default S2000 Type V ????

Saw an article on S2000 Type V in a magazine the other day. I think it was Honda Tuning or something like that. Claims they changed the rollbar hoops to stiffen the car up even more as well as added Variable Gear Ratio Steering. Anybody heard of this? I did a quick search on the web and came up with these two hits:

1st Link

2nd Link
Old 09-09-2002, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is old news...
Old 09-09-2002, 01:30 PM

Alex,

Since you seem to remember the topic so well, inform everyone so we don't get a mayhem of posts like the S2000 Type R ... hehe
Old 09-09-2002, 01:34 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Sorry it is old news I did a better search and found a lot more hits. It is actually from July 2000. I had never seen anything on it before I saw it the magazine this weekend. I tried doing a search using the search engine here and all I got was type R crap. Here is a clip from another web site on the Type V.

Summary of New S2000 TypeV

Submitted by TOV News on July 10, 2000 at 01:17:18:

A huge thanks to Glenn S. for summarizing the Japanese web site announcing the debut of the JDM S2000 TypeV. You can discuss this new car on the vtec.net BBS at the link below.

-------

Starting with quick-handling response, cockpit design centered around a digital meter (gauge cluster), and VGS, world's first "formula car style" variable gear ratio steering system based on vehicle speed, S2000 Type V, a "real sports car," is born.

That is kind of what I got out of the first paragraph. Japanese car enthusiasts like to use the term "real sports car." That term often describes cars like NSX Type S, ITR, Lancer Evo, etc. The S2000 Type V page stresses that this car is inspired by formula race cars. The Type V can be distinguished from the exterior by a VGS emblem. BBS forged 6-spoke wheels are still a factory option.

VGS (Variable Gear ratio Steering)

What VGS does is varying steering gear ratio depending on vehicle speed and body roll (sway). It will reduce steering gear ratio at higher speeds. At first this sounds odd to me, I thought it would provide quicker steering for high speed cornering, but it seems a lower ratio for high speeds will allow the car to be more stable, especially in long, high speed straight-aways. More body-sway angle will be countered by VGS with quicker steering, no doubt because body roll means that the car is in cornering duty. This is all done for the sake of "high-response handling" for the formula racer feel.

How VGS Functions

The variable ratio is provided where the steering column meets the steering pinion gear by a VGS motor. For low steering gear ratio (high speeds, little body roll), the VGS motor shifts the column closer to the steering rack to simulate a smaller pinion diameter. When vehicle speed is down and more body roll is detected, the column is moved away from the steering rack, giving a longer throw on the pinion, which means more leverage, quicker ratio.

S2000 Type V Chassis Setting

For high-response handling, the dampers of the Type V are equipped with "rebound springs" and the beefier anti-sway bars. Its limited slip diff is also more sports-tuned.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:38 PM

the type-v is a japan-only limited-edition s2000 with VGS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering), which electronically alters the steering ratio according to speed, lateral acceleration, etc. the rollbar hoops are NOT changed, everything except the steering box is the same. of course, there are new badges, a new steering wheel; but there's nothing to enhance the car's dynamics.
as for performance, i myself have no first-hand experience, but from what i hear, the VGS makes the car even more twitchy; they say it's way over-boosted, there's no feel (it's numb) and insanely unpredictable.
in my opinion, the s2000 type-v is just another one-off limited-run trim level to help raise the appeal for the car (as if it doesn't have enough already ), and to add a "collector model," if you will. it's not for me, though.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:39 PM

well, my post was utterly pointless then; i should learn to type faster...
Old 09-09-2002, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the summary and details. I know a lot more about the Type V now then just that it was a special edition.

Thanks Alex.