S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Test Drive

Old 06-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a S2000 owner take you for a ride....
Old 06-27-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by s2kvolfan,Jun 27 2005, 06:15 PM
This is why if I ever buy a new S2000, I will make sure that it was never demoed... VTEC before breakin is hell on these cars.... means problems like more oil consumption later.

If you are ever in my neck of the woods and you still have that old Prelude, we will head out to the track and I will show you slow.....

Haha....
I could not agree more..when I was in the subaru club, guys would wait at the dealer to watch there car came off the transporter, wait for the dealer prep and drive it home.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:07 PM

The car could use a lot more power, go from 400+ ft lbs to 150ish and see if its adequate. To each their own but its a fun car nevertheless....
Old 06-27-2005, 08:12 PM

If you demo'd it, was the sales guy in the car? Was he heavy?

There's a huge diff w/ some added weight in there, not saying that this
car would push you back in your seat or anything...
Old 06-27-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by danjanoop,Jun 27 2005, 05:28 PM
Hello, I have been interested in the S for a long time now and I went out and test drove a new 05 on Sunday. The car is great, super smooth, solid chassis, so easy to shift, fit me like a glove and it is beautiful.

But, I was a bit underwhelmed with the power. It did not feel any faster than my old 01 Prelude. And the vtec push was less than I expected. ( I had to do it.)

However, it was 95 degrees and humid and I didn't go all the way to redline.

Should I test drive it again on a cooler day?

Should I try an 02 or 03?

I really liked it otherwise.

Thank you for any responses...Good or bad...
Your prelude is a low 15 second car.

the S can crack high 13s.

that is a world of difference.

It doesn't feel fast due to the torque. 150lb-ft at 1500rpm feels the same as 150lb-ft at 7500rpm. they are worlds apart in their power output.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's not a torque monster down low, hence the reason some other cars "feel" faster.

however, as stated, with a capable driver, the car can do high 13's in the 1/4 mile. it would be an ass whupping on a prelude that's for sure.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:20 PM

I think the real fun is at around 8k ->RL

downlow it is like a grandma
Old 06-27-2005, 09:49 PM

haha First post! Anyway...

I've been interested in an S2000 for a while now also, and also test drove one on Sunday (06/26). I sure didn't think it was underwhelming power-wise. This is considering that I only came near the edge of where VTEC would hit.

And also keep in mind that the same day, before I test drove the S2000, I test drove a 350Z. And I'm sure that most everyone knows that the 350Z is a torque monster compared to the S2000.

As for which one I'm leaning toward? That S2000 would sure look good in my driveway right now.....
Old 06-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by oakfloor,Jun 28 2005, 06:06 AM
I could not agree more..when I was in the subaru club, guys would wait at the dealer to watch there car came off the transporter, wait for the dealer prep and drive it home.
That was exactly what I did I stated in the contract that on arriving of the car on the truck they would call me right away and take pictures of it, not moving it an inch. They did, I went up there and saw a very new S2000 with all the white plastic on it, the roof protection on it, the wheel spacers etc... I checked the S/N of the car also! So I was sure nobody test drove mine hitting VTEC after only a few miles I stayed with the car until I could drive it home, and now it's getting babied

When I first tested a used MY03, my reaction was that it was not that fast below 6000rpm comparing to my 2.0 GTi (pretty normal IMO), and I was wondering why all the magazines were so crazy about the power. But once I got from 0 to 100 mph with VTEC, i fell in love and got a smile on my face that has never gone away since

You just have to get used to the fact that 6k is not the end of the line as it is in most other cars and that the real power is only a split second away! The F20C2 and I presume the F22C1 also is faster in the low revs then the F20C1 I tested, but that could also have something to do with the gearing...
Old 06-28-2005, 03:01 AM

First of all, thank you for all the responses.

Second, perhaps I should be more clear. I did not think that the car was slow. I just felt that it was not as fast as I expected. I know the numbers of the S and the Prelude and I expected more of a difference.

Also, I think I know how to drive a vtec car after 2 years with the Prelude. I guess that I should have tested a used one so that I could really open it up. And I think that the heat did make a difference. Oh, and the salesman was a skinny dude.

I do love the car. It is so easy to drive, I cannot say that enough. The connected to the road feeling, the being one with the car is the best I ever felt. I think that I will probably buy a used one and put in gears.

And I promise that I won't vtec before break-in ever again (I only did it a little bit), it was the Silverstone/Black one at the dealer in Tysons Corner, VA, by the way.

Thanks alot.

Quick Reply: S2000 Test Drive