S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Review

Old 04-27-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That review is almost comical.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm Robert Farago. My last boyfriend drove an S2000 so I hate his guts and yours. I think my Kia is the best. I have lots of room and it's not so confusing. Plus I think 17" wheels are overboard anyway. I like my 13" just fine. When I drove the S, I was scared to take it past 5k rpms so I just shifted between the 3 and 4 like you're suppose to. High RPM's are stupid anyway, just like the manual transmission.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:09 AM

Just seems like the S2k is not the car for him.

Read other reviews. Good M5 review, praised it a lot but definitely cut it down where he felt it needed it... FX45 (my father just bought one), he was dead on. FX45 is an incredible SUV, but he noticed the same crab-walk from mid-corner bumps that I did... anyway just brows around, try different makes and models before you form an opinion about the guy.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:15 AM

Just seems like the S2k is not the car for him.

Read other reviews. Good M5 review, praised it a lot but definitely cut it down where he felt it needed it... FX45 (my father just bought one), he was dead on. FX45 is an incredible SUV, but he noticed the same crab-walk from mid-corner bumps that I did... anyway just brows around, try different makes and models before you form an opinion about the guy.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 PM

The review was pretty funny. As in the style of reviewers that have to pan everything. The interesting thing was that he gave the car 5 stars for design, and 4 for the ride?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:16 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

that picture of hyori gets me hot and bothered....
Old 04-27-2005, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chatted with the guy through e-mail for a bit... here is the conversation, starting with my first e-mail to him.

-------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how the S2000 review could be any more ignorant. Obviously the folks at Car & Driver actually have a hint of knowledge.\

Troy

--------------------------------------------------------

Troy,

I don't know what forum my review has suddenly appeared on, but enough! Stop with the insults against my character, tell me exactly what you find objectionable, and then we'll talk.

RF

---------------------------------------------------------

RF,

Well, for starters, criticism of the name is absurd... not that it really matters, but it is a successor to the old Honda S500 and S600... The S2000 actually came out in 1999 in Japan. It is also a 2.0L, so that could have also been some influence on the name.

Second, with the interior criticism... The interior is anything but cheap! Soft leather, seats that hold you, a complete F1 Inspired cockpit. The "cheap" rotary dials are easy to use... although I'm not sure what else you would use other than maybe a slider for temperature selection, something even more cheap. The secondary radio controls... have you ever notice that you can control anything around you without having to take your hands off the wheel? That is exactly what Honda meant to do... it is completely driver focused.

I've never had the top latched rattle on me ever... perhaps you were hearing the loose passenger seatbelt hit against the side of the car? About the starter button, yet another F1 inspired piece... so what if its a four-cyllinder engine? It makes 120HP per liter, naturally aspirated, and it screams up to 9000 RPM! Now, I know the newer 2.2L engines have an 8000RPM redline, but it does have a bit more torque down low... it's a bit more Americanized, which I'll be honest, I am NOT in favor of.

I'll admit, the sound system is not all that great, but only with the top down. So what? It is not a luxury cruiser, it is a pure-bred racer...

Engine note lacks character? This is one of the most praised engine notes ever... I suppose you don't listen to many high strung, high revving engines.

As stated, Car and Driver named it "Pure and Involving" -- exactly what it is... by what means do you get "Old and Aggravating" from?

Not to say there are not any good things you said about the car, but they are just too far and in between for your review to be believed.

Troy

------------------------------------------------------

Troy,

Thanks for that. I appreciate you taking the time to give me a fair fight. So let's do it.

1. I reserve the right to make fun of any name, even my own.

2. Labeling the S2000's switchgear cheap and ugly may be a subjective call, but c'mon, look at that flimsy metal effect lid over the stereo (if memory serves). Yuck! I've got nothing against rotary dials per se; they're an excellent way to adjust and read variable controls. But they WAY they move in the Honda is nasty. For contrast, check out a Volvo. If the secondary radio controls were mounted on the wheel a la BMW, you might have a casefor ergonomics. But the multiple position stalk is awkward (who else uses one?), and the head unit is only a few inches further away. So what's the point?

3. The hood latch in my test car rattled. That's the truth. Starter buttons are a needless affectation. And that's my truth.

4. Sound systems should either be kicking or... optional. A Ferrari salesmen once told me "Ferrari owners don't listen to the radio". If you buy into that kind of bs, there's no debating the point.

5. I know a great engine sound when I hear one. The gold standard for high revving engines is the Ferrari F360 or its pr ogeny. The Honda S2000 gave me a headache. Not to get too testy, but who was it who praised the Honda's engine note? Did he or she happen to own one?

6. Car and Driver is not what I'd call an objective source. They're just as biased as I am, with the important difference being that I don't accept advertising from automobile advertisers.

7. Don't be so snarky. I praised the car's lines and handling to the hilt. Even if you think I'm full of shit, give credit where credit's due. I do.

8. If you think you can write a better review of the Honda S2000, keep it to 800 words (EXACTLY), and I'll print it. I'll even pay you $10. But I'm warning you: I'll edit it for style (subject to your approval) and it's got to be great. Unlike your car.

9. That was a bit nasty. Sorry.

RF
Old 04-27-2005, 07:51 PM

this guy is a F g!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:01 PM

that was cool of you to email him
Old 04-27-2005, 09:55 PM

Folks,

there are people out there who literally hates anything Honda.
Well, it is obvious he finds alot things about S2000 not so perfect.
Although much of his comments about the car is nothing more than a dash stroker level criticisms, I'd say let it be.

There are people out there who hates Enzo Ferrari. Let the haters be haters.

People are certainly entitled to their own opinions. I'd bet yeah this guy would work for major automotive magazine if he ever had a chance. Fact is, just because he is independant doesn't mean his opinions are less biased. Since when opinions on subjects such as cars has to be completely objective? Well, to a certain degree a journalists demands repect through honest objective with hint of subjective opinions.

Numerous publications before him about S2000 is plenty enough reason to be proud about owning the peice of automotive history. The fact that it brings smile to your face evertime you drive pass 6000rpm and around tight corners should be enough reason to say "F#@k You!" to all the haters and enjoy your life with your beautiful machine we call S2000

Quick Reply: S2000 Review