S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 is ranked last out of 5 sports cars tested

Old 04-20-2003 | 03:57 AM

http://www.smartmoneymag.com/autos/newcars...cfm?story=may03

So many people have no clue what this car is about.
Old 04-20-2003 | 04:39 AM

When it comes to the S2000 most people don't "get it". Our car exists for a very small percentage of the population. Unlike most cars that compromise on this, that and the other to appease the largest percentage of potential buyers, Honda knew from the get go that the S2000 was truly unique. If it wasn't they probably would have geared up for 20,000 plus yearly production run. There are only a select few of us out there that are willing to put up with a buzzing hyper active 4 banger that makes F1 sounds all the way to 9k rpms. When I say "put up with" I mean that in a positive way. Most people, when they go shopping for a "sports car" are really shopping for a comfy G.T. not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's ignorant to criticize the S2000 for being what it is. It's exactly what Honda designed it to be. A no frills roadster in the same mold as the Lotus Elise. Ask a T.T. owner or a G35 owner what a Lotus Elise is see if they have any idea what you're talking about. To appreciate a Honda S2000 you have to "get it". Very few do, even in the automotive press. Just be grateful you do. If you didn't you too would be driving a vehicle designed for the masses instead of your "S".
Old 04-20-2003 | 05:12 AM

"Smart Money" magazine? LOL

Considering the S2000 is a convertible, and the Nissan products aren't, the S should be the "best buy".
Old 04-20-2003 | 05:14 AM

The most humorous part of their ranking is the low rating for ride and handling. The S2000 actually got the lowest score due to what they call "a choppy ride and a rough suspension". I interpret that as meaning that a stiff, responsive suspension is a disadvantage. And low marks for room and comfort suggests that the guy doing the ranking is fat.

I'm guessing that some overweight low-tech journalist that is used to a cushy-riding sedan got this assignment for dating the editor's homely sister.
Old 04-20-2003 | 05:28 AM

These guys have to be kidding...

They mentioned the weight on 3 out of the 5 cars... but the S2000 (lightest of the pack) wasn't one of them.

They mention the 0-60 time of the Audi (6.3 seconds), and state that it isn't as fast as the Z4 or 350Z.... how 'bout mentioning the S2000 there, too?

They say that the lower power output and slow 0-60 time of the Audi is compensated for by "all wheel drive" and "greater luggage capacity"... get real! Are they testing sports cars or SUVs?

And they give the S2000 only 1 star for "Interior Design and Comfort"? C'mon! The seats are some of the most comfortable and supportive I've ever sat in, and (unless you have nubs for fingers) you can reach all of the major controls without taking your hands off of the steering wheel! How much better can an interior design be?

My "smart money" says buy an automotive enthusiast magazine if you want car reviews. Buy this magazine if you want to learn how to fit in with your pretentious neighbors.
Old 04-20-2003 | 05:28 AM

smart money?

maybe car & driver or motor trend should start giving investment advice.

or sean penn can start advising colin powell on iraqi affairs!
Old 04-20-2003 | 05:40 AM

Here is the email I just sent to their editor...

You might as well have thrown in a few suvs into the mix - you are comparing apples to oranges.

And, just a hunch, but was your test driver fat?

Disseminating such worthless, baseless and clueless information should be considered criminal. If this is a reflection of the overall quality of research and review provided by "SmartMoney," I fear for those who take what you write seriously.

Kent
Old 04-20-2003 | 05:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Porsche951
[B]It's exactly what Honda designed it to be. A no frills
Old 04-20-2003 | 06:17 AM

Originally posted by s2kskibum
Here is the email I just sent to their editor...

I think e-mailing the editor is a waste of time. Most likely, the author wrote an appropriate review for the intended audience. I'm pretty sure that a group of S2000 enthusiasts (or any other true automotive enthusiasts) weren't supposed to happen across this article. We aren't the intended audience. I mean.... how many people here have a subscription to "Smart Money"?
No offense, but e-mailing the editor with insults and negative comments isn't really going to do much (other than make S2000 owners/enthusiasts look bad). If you want to disagree with him/her, that's fine. But do it in a positive way.
Old 04-20-2003 | 06:22 AM

Originally posted by 2kturkey
Not sure about that. Having driven an Elise on a number of occasions I can assure you that the Elise is to the S2000 as the S2000 is to the other named vahicles. In other words, the Elise is a much more single purpose "raw" vehicle than the S2000 ever will be. Not that it worries me though - after all I did end up buying the S2k.
I can't disagree with you, as I've never driven an Elise. However, I'm pretty sure the Elise isn't street legal in the states. So, the Elise isn't really an option for most of us over here. And, as far as I can tell, the S2000 is the next best choice.

Quick Reply: S2000 is ranked last out of 5 sports cars tested