S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 problems in the heat

Old 09-24-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 problems in the heat

I have been excited about maybe getting an S sometime in the next few months, but then in the past couple of days I have started reading a lot of posts complaining about it in the heat. Apparently alot of people experience rough idle, stumbles, and poor performance when it's hot.

Living in central Texas, obviously this is a concern. Are these things I should expect as part of S ownership, or just a few isolated cases? One of the selling points for the S2000 is Honda quality, but if it can't run well in my climate I'll probably look elsewhere for my next car.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:22 AM

It's mainly related to "heat bog" - the intake sucking in hot air from directly over the radiator. This can be resolved by using a snorkel on the intake or purchasing an aftermarket intake that tries to remedy this. I drove my S in New Mexico for a month before moving up to the northwest and it was fine in the heat; sitting in traffic in the heat is what'll kill you.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:30 AM

Yeah, there really is no solution for this in traffic, but when moving, a Cold Air intake will help a TON. Make sure you investigate hydrolocking risks prior to getting one of these. I think K&N and Comptech CAI's are pretty much hydrolock-proof because of the positioning higher in the chassis and teh built in umbrella.

John
Old 09-24-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

All cars are subject to heat bog.!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the input. I did read posts about a CAI helping, as well as as a throttle body coolant bypass mod. But for a brand new $30+k car, you wouldn't think you'd have to mod it just to run well in the heat. And sitting in traffic with A/C blasting is as much of a part of living in Austin as the heat itself!

I've never had noticeable problems with heat bog in the other cars I've owned including 4cyl Hondas.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by LuckyDay,Sep 24 2005, 12:29 PM

I've never had noticeable problems with heat bog in the other cars I've owned including 4cyl Hondas.
Then you won't have any problems with the S.

But as said above, this isn't an S2000 only issue. I think most people notice it more because they come from larger motors/torque. Every Honda I've owned or driven I've noticed a "bog," the S is no worse. If anything, a little better.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyDay,Sep 24 2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the input. I did read posts about a CAI helping, as well as as a throttle body coolant bypass mod. But for a brand new $30+k car, you wouldn't think you'd have to mod it just to run well in the heat. And sitting in traffic with A/C blasting is as much of a part of living in Austin as the heat itself!

This is a fairly common and naive belief.
Have any of your other cars, including your other Hondas had such high output? 120 HP per liter? Has any of them exhibited this kind of high state of tune to be able to perform the way the S2000 does. This thing is tweaked in the same way that most other cars get modded AFTER the owner buys it. The operating parameters of this engine can more easily be affected by the slightest thing such as sucking in hot air.
If you will continually compare this car with "other" cars you have owned, then I would suggest you get something else. You'll soon wonder why this car has such a peculiarly rough ride, why the car's back end suddenly comes around with no warning, why there are noises and sounds that no other car has ever made. This car will not be like most other cars you've owned because it is not built like most other cars you've owned. You may be better suited to buy a Hemi powered Baracalounger.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:30 PM

I realize Honda is wringing everything that they can out of the engine, but that's a small consolation if it's no fun to drive in my day to day environment. I'm willing to make many trade offs for performance, but there are plenty of posts on this board of saying it's sucks in the heat. There's one recent thread of a guy looking to buy an NSX because of it and saying a Civic more fun to drive.

I don't find the ride rough and when I have autoxed the the S I thought the rear end was pretty much planted.

I didn't mean to sound like I was dogging the car, but I think it's a legit concern.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 24 2005, 09:53 PM
This is a fairly common and naive belief.
Have any of your other cars, including your other Hondas had such high output? 120 HP per liter? Has any of them exhibited this kind of high state of tune to be able to perform the way the S2000 does. This thing is tweaked in the same way that most other cars get modded AFTER the owner buys it. The operating parameters of this engine can more easily be affected by the slightest thing such as sucking in hot air.
If you will continually compare this car with "other" cars you have owned, then I would suggest you get something else. You'll soon wonder why this car has such a peculiarly rough ride, why the car's back end suddenly comes around with no warning, why there are noises and sounds that no other car has ever made. This car will not be like most other cars you've owned because it is not built like most other cars you've owned. You may be better suited to buy a Hemi powered Baracalounger.
Well said
Old 09-24-2005, 01:45 PM

i think there are other things about texas that should keep you from getting an S!!!

jk

heat isn't a problem for me...snorkel and water wetter and i've never had an issue

you probably don't need either though

Quick Reply: S2000 problems in the heat