S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 only push button start ?

Old 11-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Nov 1 2005, 04:23 PM
You sure about that, Jimbo? Ya ever heard of those eye-talians, drive them Fezzas? 'Parently they pretty good in that Formula One thing....And they still race! Unlike Porsche, which took a few years off to [ahem] make an SUV....

Signed, a bitter Porsche fan.....I agree with everything else you wrote though...
To be the best you need to beat the best. I dont think porsche has ever won a F1 title. Ferrari racked in 5 in a row in the past few years. Heck even our lowly Hondas use to dominate in the early 80's and early 90's. Porsche might have the richest GT racing heritage but i could be wrong.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:01 PM

Opposite.keyless entry codes are Not that hard to crack.(maybe to you and I).but I watched some programs on it and some dudes got what they need to catch the code,then hit the Start button.im not saying its as common as a regular slim-Jim jacker,much more rare..but does happen.
(oh,and a friend found someone who gets real pricey 'tools' to take almost any high end luxury car..Has a ferrari/bmw/porsche starter,and plenty of other things..charges from 5,000-15,000 for this stuff.Im serious)I used to think those scenes in 'gone in 60secs' were bs,but this stuff really sells on the underground.Its crazy
Old 11-01-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ronin2k,Nov 1 2005, 09:51 PM
To be the best you need to beat the best. I dont think porsche has ever won a F1 title. Ferrari racked in 5 in a row in the past few years. Heck even our lowly Hondas use to dominate in the early 80's and early 90's. Porsche might have the richest GT racing heritage but i could be wrong.
Porsche has been involved in quite a few Formula One successes over the years although that is certainly not their calling card. Formula One is one form of racing, and in recent years it might be hard to argue that it is the "highest form of racing". Certainly the highest technically speaking.

Porsche has won Le Mans 16 times since 1970. Ferrari has won it 9 times since 1949. Ferrari's F1 dominance in the last half decade pales in comparison to the what the 917s and 956s did in the '70s and '80s. The 911 has more or less dominated GT racing since 1964. Including all forms of racing, Porsche has the most of just about everything.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nice-Face,Nov 1 2005, 11:01 PM
Opposite.keyless entry codes are Not that hard to crack.(maybe to you and I).but I watched some programs on it and some dudes got what they need to catch the code,then hit the Start button.im not saying its as common as a regular slim-Jim jacker,much more rare..but does happen.
(oh,and a friend found someone who gets real pricey 'tools' to take almost any high end luxury car..Has a ferrari/bmw/porsche starter,and plenty of other things..charges from 5,000-15,000 for this stuff.Im serious)I used to think those scenes in 'gone in 60secs' were bs,but this stuff really sells on the underground.Its crazy
Let's say this type of theft exists, even if it does...you said so yourself, the chances of it happening are extremely rare. And just to start the car once they somehow get in, the thieves need to have equally rare resources. It seems that the new keyless technology does its job: it deters theft quite well. In terms of security, I'm going to have to say that the new keyless entry is a lot more secure than one with a key.

By the way, have you ever seen this kind of theft take place personally? I'm a little skeptical. High-end luxury vehicles are infinitely easier to track down as well, I'm sure that alone will prevent most car thieves from even thinking about it.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:36 PM

The button would rule with no ignition key.

Regardless, the ignition keyhole needs to be moved or at least illuminated.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by EmuMessenger,Nov 6 2005, 06:36 PM
Regardless, the ignition keyhole needs to be moved or at least illuminated.
For me, I'm not sure illuminating the ignition keyhole would make much difference. The way I sit the car and where my leg winds up near the steering wheel, I've got to bend way over to the right to see the keyhole anyway. I've gotten familiar enough with the car by now that I find the keyhole automatically. Illuminating it would only light up the inside of my leg when it's dark enough to see it.

FWIW!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Nov 6 2005, 06:54 PM
For me, I'm not sure illuminating the ignition keyhole would make much difference. The way I sit the car and where my leg winds up near the steering wheel, I've got to bend way over to the right to see the keyhole anyway. I've gotten familiar enough with the car by now that I find the keyhole automatically. Illuminating it would only light up the inside of my leg when it's dark enough to see it.

FWIW!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Makes sense. It is cramped there.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:55 PM

I've read (from s2ki actually) that the button is on the left so that when you actually stall the car, you can start the car and put it into first all in one fell swoop and be on your way quicker. I guess it's not much use on the street, but i'm guessing you'd want to get moving as fast as you could if you're on a track where other cars could run into you.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Nov 1 2005, 12:14 AM
gee let's not buy the car because it has a push button start. do people seriously have nothing better to complain about? sheesh. lol
Don't worry. The "I hate my cupholder" threads start next week.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by crono,Nov 7 2005, 05:55 PM
I've read (from s2ki actually) that the button is on the left so that when you actually stall the car, you can start the car and put it into first all in one fell swoop and be on your way quicker. I guess it's not much use on the street, but i'm guessing you'd want to get moving as fast as you could if you're on a track where other cars could run into you.
That is along the lines of why Porsche has the ignition on the left. Quick-in the car, then start while getting seated.

Quick Reply: S2000 only push button start ?