S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 only push button start ?

Old 10-31-2005, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up S2000 only push button start ?

If you think the S2000 was the first to have a push button start, you older guys think back to the early Fords, 1935 to '38 or so. Button was on the left side of the dash. Turn the key on the steering column and push the button. Can anyone remember exactly what years ?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by StarvinMarvin,Oct 31 2005, 08:36 PM
If you think the S2000 was the first to have a push button start, you older guys think back to the early Fords, 1935 to '38 or so. Button was on the left side of the dash. Turn the key on the steering column and push the button. Can anyone remember exactly what years ?
are you joking? There have been plenty of cars with push button starters. No one said the S was the first...
Old 10-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

It was one of the few ever cars...but now the push button start is on alot of cars like the Prius, and new Lexus..
Old 10-31-2005, 04:49 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO the push-button start is retarded unless you do away with the key altogether.

The only thing more retarded than key + push-button is key on floor or key on left side of the steering wheel.

IMO.

One time I thought the S2000 push button was cool, now I'm just asking "why?"
Old 10-31-2005, 05:00 PM

I am well aware there are many modern cars with the push button start and should have worded my initial comment differently, but the intent of the question was does anyone remember the push button start on the early Fords? And there was at least one car, Studerbaker ?, that had the starter under the clutch. I agree with "rai" - why not just have a "turn the key starter". Honda is just trying to be different.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:14 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StarvinMarvin,Oct 31 2005, 06:00 PM
I agree with "rai" - why not just have a "turn the key starter". Honda is just trying to be different.

It was cool 5-6 years ago. Now there are push buttons all over the damn place. However I'll take the F430 push button on the steering wheel. It may be a gimmick but it looks cool.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:24 PM

well guys, i work at the car wash (ya i know but hey im 16 and make straight a's) anyways, ive seen some cars come it with push button starts that you turn the key then you push the buttion (which i think is stupid) but a car came int he other day i don't know what it was but it came in and it was so cool, the remote (to unlock the doors, ect) was blue tooth and all you did was get in the car have the remote any were at all in the car, hell you could have it in the back seat, just as long as it was within like 10 feet and you just push the button and it starts up. now if you ask me thats how a push button start should be.

is there any kits out there that we can buy to set the s2k up like that?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Oct 31 2005, 09:49 PM
IMO the push-button start is retarded unless you do away with the key altogether.

The only thing more retarded than key + push-button is key on floor or key on left side of the steering wheel.

IMO.

One time I thought the S2000 push button was cool, now I'm just asking "why?"
I think it has something to do with doing away with the crank style starter.From what I recall,the change was a technical improvement not just a stylish thing.
(and plus,if you got rid of the whole key thing totally,then smart crooks & people with them scanners could just jack our cars all day n night)
Old 10-31-2005, 07:22 PM

Hi All,

This is my first post. I just picked up my 2005 two days ago and now have a couple of hundred miles on it. The dealer had to make room for the 2006s and I got a pretty good deal. Anyway, I have a question about the push button start. Once the engine is running, what happens if you accidentally hit the button? Is the button locked out at that point? I'm assuming it doesn't engage the starter motor, but I didn't want to press it and find out I was wrong.

I was driving after dark for the first time tonight, and I realized that the start button is close to the radio controls and is easy to hit by mistake.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try never to do that with the clutch pedal depressed!

Quick Reply: S2000 only push button start ?