S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Marketing - the biggest lie in the auto world since...

Old 03-05-2002, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats arrogance with accords?
Old 03-05-2002, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by carik
From www.Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/096...4674839-1512907

Ed Wallace - Car and Driver magazine, February 1998

For all of the things right about Honda in the 1970s and 80s, there was something terribly wrong inside the house of Honda. Evidence suggests that high-ranking U.S. executives were shaking down their own dealers for cash or, in some cases, were forcing dealers to make the executives literal partners in their franchises. In return, dealers were allotted more cars - there were never enough to go around - or better yet, additional dealerships.

Former Honda marketing executive Steve Lynch covers it all, from a unique insider's perspective, in Arrogance and Accords: The Inside Story of the Honda Scandal. Commendably, Lynch handles the story with balance, never tearing into personalities for their transgressions, but simply reporting the story.

Arrogance and Accords is often fascinating, always compelling. It should be required reading in business-ethics courses. Maybe some of Honda's former executives could teach the classes as part of their work-release program.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:24 AM

Well, I was told 5,000/year for 2 years by a Honda rep at an auto show. Seems to me Honda is lying, not the dealers.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by carik
Carik,

It is a book that will explain why Lexus is kicking Acura's butt in the luxury space.

Having worked at Honda for a while, the book really hit home and is accurate.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:25 AM

I agree with all the comments on supply/demand. I shopped for mine for nearly a year. There are so many factors driving pricing, locale, weather, market size etc. MSRP is very doable. Finding MSRP in most of FL or southern CA will be near impossible unless you have a high level connection at a dealer. I envy the fact that you guy's up north can find them for much less than down here but you can't drive yours as much let alone with the top down. As long as there are customers willing to pay the prices on "addendum" stickers it will continue. I myself will shop a dealer but the minute I see an addendum of any kind I walk. No matter what anyone says this is a limited production car. In comparison to the numbers that Honda's other products are produced. This is not the only Honda's dealing with markups, try finding an Odyessy or MDX for below MSRP if not more. Those two have been on the market for 3 & 2 years respectively. I expect the same for the 03 Pilot. Good luck to the Attorney with his class action suit.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]I just add to the list of people who were told "5,000 / year for 2 years" by the dealership.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:29 AM

Fraud? Can anyone say fraud.... I guess car dealers are exempt.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:14 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda NEVER said that the car would only be made for 2 years or that it would only be imported for just two years. American Honda only agreed to import the car for a minimum of two years. AHM was worried the car wouldn't sell and they didn't want to get stuck with importing a car, year after year after year, that wasn't a good seller. Anyone who did their homework before buying the car would have known this, and furthermore anyone with a lick of sense know not to trust anything a car salesman says! Honda never claimed, in advertising or otherwise, that the car would only imported for two years!! So there is NO marketing lie...except for some lying car salesman (but they lie about all cars to make sales so that's nothing new). The fact is the S2000 is still a limited production car made alongside with the NSX at a low volume plant in Japan. Looking at the sales number for last month, there were only 694 S2000s were sold but during that same time frame 26,735 Accords and 21,239 Civics were sold. Overall for that month almost 74,000 Honda were sold. So (on average) you will only see 1 (2002) S2000 for every 100+ (2002) Hondas seen on the road!
Old 03-07-2002, 07:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wantone
[B]Before you sue Honda, sue Rolex first.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:45 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wc_one
[B]Well, I was told 5,000/year for 2 years by a Honda rep at an auto show.

Quick Reply: S2000 Marketing - the biggest lie in the auto world since...