S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Marketing - the biggest lie in the auto world since...

Old 03-04-2002, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dkhl
[B]I know when i purchased my first s2000, the dealer was trying to sell it as a limited production car, with the 5000 unit being quoted.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:00 AM

Honda publicized its initial year production run for the US at 5000, which was in fact true. What you're dealing with is unethical dealer sales people with whom Honda has limited control. Anyone who would believe Honda would invest the half-billion or so $ to launch an entirely new vehicle, just to discontinue it in two years is gullible enough to believe whatever he typical car salesperson would say.

I dealt only with a dealer who has a policy of never pricing above MSRP on any car he sells including Porsche Turbos, M3's and the s2k.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:01 AM

I agree with Chris. I placed an order for "the upcoming Honda sports car" in 1997. I was later told:
5000/year
2 year production run
we never charge over list

As much as I wanted to believe it, I realized that no manufacturer would produce only 10,000 $32,000 cars.
Two weeks before delivery, I was told about the $2000 markup. I " was getting a good deal" because everyone else was being charged a $5000 markup.

I bought the car on 09/18/99, and have been happy with it since then. I just buy my new cars from another dealer now.

The only problem I have with Honda, is that they stood quietly by while the rumours flew. Class action suit, my as*.

'00, #580
Old 03-04-2002, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You all know that I'm not a fan of AHM, but to set the record straight, Honda and other manufacturers have taken dealers to court to prevent price gouging but have found no support from judges. So it's not true that Honda did not stop to try this kind of dealer behavior.

As for what dealers tell people, I don't have sympathy for anyone who believes what a car salesman tells him. We all know they're born liars.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:09 AM

first can someone define what the word limited is used in reference to?

it could mean limited to 3 years production, or 20,000 total production etc....

is the S still a limited production or not?
Old 03-04-2002, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you sue Honda, sue Rolex first. I challenge anyone on this board to find and be able to buy a Rolex Stainless Steel Daytona chronograph watch with white or black face at listprice. I challenge you. I DOUBLE challenge you... The markup on that is even more ridiculous from dealers...
Old 03-04-2002, 10:22 AM

I thought this would get some interesting response - just a warning...the guy who is putting the suit together contacted me through my profile online, so he may be trying to get your feedback as well...

To those who criticise my right to complain for having been lied to: POSH! I live in the U.S. and have a constitutional right to complain!

Ultimately, I bought the car - it was my 32nd automobile (and I am 33 years old this July), so I know a LIITLE about auto purchasing! I have been lied to more often than I have been dealt with in a completely straighforward manner for certain - but there is a difference between seeing a show on Speedvision or reading an article in Car & Driver implying "limited production" statistics that an entire nation of dealers then adopted as Honda's corporate position and a schmuck selling a car from a grass lot along US 1 telling me the truck with the 6" lift and 36" Mudboggers has been "treated riyut..."

I am totally happy with my S...I have no qualms about the deal I got on the car...but if someone finds a way to hold dealer networks responsible for having collaborated in a scam...

...by the way - this isn't a cheap car...and I have to wonder with all the lawyer bashing out there if we don't have one or two members that might be a tad offended?

Everyone - SMILE! It's Monday!
Old 03-04-2002, 10:23 AM

atleast the S is still holding up in value, most of the used ones are still around 30k dollars.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:40 AM

When I purchased my car last March my dealer sold it to me for MSRP. The dealer explained that many dealers are selling over MSRP even though America Honda asked dealers not to sell over MSRP.

I guess the real question is whether or not Honda is off the hook for requesting dealers to sell at MSRP? Where was it published that the s2000 was a 5000 unit 2 yr limited production run? If Honda did make this statement then is it their responsibility to correct misinformation or issue a production revision?

John
Old 03-04-2002, 11:20 AM

Starting in May of 99 and continuing well into 2000 EVERY article about the S touted the 5000 figure. Check some of the old magazines: C&D R&T Auto etc. They all had the 5000 figure and the dealers had copies. I do not know where that number came from but that is what the investigators are for. I paid a premium because, although I do not believe car salespeople I do feel that the press should check the numbers they are given. When I saw Vin #'s in the mid 3000 range in November 99 I felt that if I waited much longer I would not be able to get the car I had dreamed about since it was the SSM. This is equivalent to a woman being sold an exclusive gown by a famous designer and then seeing 10 other identical garments at the premier. This is called fraud, it was only after 6000 had been sold that Honda adjusted their figures higher but anyone who bought in the fall of 99 was defrauded.

Quick Reply: S2000 Marketing - the biggest lie in the auto world since...