S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Marketing - the biggest lie in the auto world since...

Old 03-04-2002, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Marketing - the biggest lie in the auto world since...

I wonder when there has been a bigger marketing lie in the automotive world than the S2000?

5,000 per year for only 2 years in the U.S....

They went well beyond 5,000 and are on their way well beyond 2 years - and dealers benefitted from serious instances of price gouging....an attorney who purchased the car in Maryland (name withheld while he works on his case) is preparing a class action suit for anyone who paid a premium over MSRP if the purchase price was "substancially based upon a dealer selling the car as a rare commodity that would no longer be produced after a given date."

Well...rage on!

P.S. I love the car - but Honda is culpably unethical in the marketing of this beaute!
Old 03-04-2002, 08:56 AM

I think it was the loser dealers that were lying. There's too many lawyers out there - no one twisted anybody's arm to pay something they didn't want to. Am I wrong or do consumers not have the option of just walking away?
Old 03-04-2002, 09:00 AM

Honda was aware of the behavior of their dealers, and in fact had representatives interviewed in the media that specifically touted the car as a rarity and soemthing that would command premium prices...now anyone can find one at or below MSRP as they make more...and more...and more...

No, my arm was not twisted - but I was without any doubt whatsoever lied to by the company and the dealer as to ultimate value of my purchase in concert with the limited market availability!

My concern is that a lawsuit, successful or not, puts another shadow on this fine automobile!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show us the marketing communications from Honda that state 5,000/yr. for only 2 years. I understand the 5K/yr. was the initial plan, but it wasn't marketed by AHM as a limited production vehicle...and I've never heard anything from Honda or AHM regarding a 2 yr. production run. Anyone gullible enough to pay a premium based on dealers' BS got what they deserved.

I can already tell you that this case doesn't have a leg to stand on.

As much as I hate markups and dealer lies, pricing is a function of supply and demand, not just MSRP. Markups will end when people start walking away from them and avoid dealers that charge them.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:04 AM

Marketing people know how to handle the truth: "Grab it by both ends and stretch it as far as the law will allow".
Old 03-04-2002, 09:05 AM

Sheesh! Class action suit? What - aren't there enough ambulances to chase? Nobody put a gun to his head and made him buy it.

When I bought my truck a couple of weeks ago people in Kalifornia, Texas, and Florida were paying $2K over MSRP for them. I bought mine for $400 under INVOICE (under X-plan) because I bought it on a cold rainy mid-February day in Chicago. In three months they'll go for MSRP again.

BID != ASK. Adam Smith lives.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by snoopy
[B]Sheesh! Class action suit? What - aren't there enough ambulances to chase?
Old 03-04-2002, 09:20 AM

SteveS2K, I hear you on this potentially tarnishing the car, but I don't think any negative publicity will take away from the S2000's awesomeness (for lack of a better word).

The question to be answered is How much power does AHM exercise over it's network of dealers? Could they stopped the dealer's lying? I agree perhaps the company could have made efforts to communicate to the public that the dealers were full of SH-T. I dreamt about owning this car when it was first introduced but had never heard the 2-year, 5,000 units limit. Anyone can say anything. Was something official supporting or refuting the production limit ever prinited?

Whatever happened to that lawsuit against Nissan Motor Acceptance for unfair price gouging by the dealers of certain minorities?
Old 03-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Banned

Steve, I think the thing that needs to be determined is who was actually promoting the 5,000 number. Was it actually American Honda or was it a network of unscrupulous dealers? I'm betting it was a bunch of greedy dealers with dollar signs in their eyes...

Does anyone recall who was actually publicizing the 5,000 number?

This, however, is a pretty common practice among dealers of all stripes. VW dealers with the Beetle. Chrysler with the PT Cruiser. The list goes on and on. Those cars had giant "market adjustments" when they were released. I tend to think that it's more of an issue with dealers as car companies cannot mandate what a car sells for, thus we have manufacturer's *suggested* retail price...this would seem to me, at least, to undermine the class action suit, but I certainly am no attorney!

Interesting, nonetheless...but I can't imagine that this suit has legs and if there is *any* fraud here, it seems to me that it would be coming from dealers...Honda doesn't exercise price controls over their dealers.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:46 AM

I know when i purchased my first s2000, the dealer was trying to sell it as a limited production car, with the 5000 unit being quoted. They marked the price up and explained it as "because it is rare, and a limited production car" so i am with whatever lawyer that is doing the class action suit. I for one, didn't have my arm twisted to purchase the car, and i paid over invoice for the vehicle because i wanted to have one of the first ones. But if they can punish the dealers for marking the price way up, go for it!!!... class action = i don't have to do anything and i get paid!!!... Maybe i can get some accessories out of it...

Quick Reply: S2000 Marketing - the biggest lie in the auto world since...