S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 makes Forbes Top 20.......

Old 07-28-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't really about the cars per say as much as the drivers of these cars. People that drive sporty cars get in more accidents than those that drive Studebaker's. duh. A car like ours and the 350z under 30k will attract a younger enthusiast that enjoys testing the limits of the car as well as their own skill. result is higher number of accidents and deaths. Side Airbags, and 5 star ratings wont save you when you enter turns at high speeds and fall off the cliff.

The car is dangerous, most are to inexperienced drivers, but unlike a Ferrari, at least my04 is likely to randomly erupt into flames on the freeway.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:54 AM

a lot of other cars people that wanna go fast in this price range are drawn to have stuff like 4wd, fwd and maybe electronics to keep you out of the hedges

s2000's aren't about that stuff so if you take the piss you migth well end up in a hedge

people shouldn't buy them without knowing that!
Old 07-28-2007, 07:56 AM

It gets a 5 star side impact rating, but is unsafe because it doesn't have side airbags

If it had side airbags would it get a 10 star rating? Obviously these guys aren't car experts, or even mildly intelligent. I rank this article near the top of the list!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 PM

the ambulance I drive don't have airbags at all, if that make you guys feel any better...
Old 07-28-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I stumbled upon an eBay auction for a damaged S and was wondering how this happened. Guy claimed it was in a multi-car accident and hit a pole, but other pics showed a windshield frame bent down.

I always thought the roll hoops were incredibly strong but the pic leaves me to think otherwise. Ouch!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:25 PM

FWIW - I got rear ended pretty hard a couple weeks ago and the other car (4-door Kia) was in a LOT worse shape than my S...
Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dan H,Jul 28 2007, 05:11 PM
I stumbled upon an eBay auction for a damaged S and was wondering how this happened. Guy claimed it was in a multi-car accident and hit a pole, but other pics showed a windshield frame bent down.

I always thought the roll hoops were incredibly strong but the pic leaves me to think otherwise. Ouch!
Interesting . . . I wonder if that car was rolled over or rammed from behind?

For what its worth, I've been rear ended twice and both were pretty insignificant. Required new bumper and one time a trunk and rear body panel, but it was all cosmetic. The car was driveable each time and I never got so much as a headache. I was not moving in either situation, just got rammed from behind both times.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 PM

I think the S2000 is pretty safe because of the high ratings, the only reason why it's on the list is because of the side airbags. Does 350Z's have side airbags?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H,Jul 28 2007, 02:11 PM

That car was definitely upside-down. Just look at the flat spot on top of the driver's side roll hoop.

The passenger side roll hoop most likely hit something like a curb while the car was upside-down, bending it forward.

It's difficult to believe the number of S2000 crashes that happen and get posted. (I posted one, too. )

There's more to the S2000 than it's high performance. There's something in it's character that is constantly begging (me) to drive it faster. It's very difficult to maintain control sometimes- however, the Glendale Police Department is working overtime to keep me in check. They hate me and my S2000.

-Pete

PS - Here's a new crash where both inside were ejected:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=510323
Old 07-31-2007, 02:17 PM

Those of you that think the S2000 are that safe are forgetting something.

If the S2000 was T-boned on the driver door by an SUV or Pick up truck, consider yourself dead.

What happens is that the tall hood line on these vehicles winds up striking the occupant

Quick Reply: S2000 makes Forbes Top 20.......