S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Losing Favor?

Old 05-01-2005, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Losing Favor?

Is it me or is the attention the sportscar industry once placed on the S2K fading quickly. I own a MY02 and just love it. However, I have noticed that car magazines like Motor Trend and Car and Driver are not writing articles like they once did. I rarely see the car rated, advertised or featured anymore. Is it me or is this noticed by others.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll find that they pay more attention to new cars/models than they do to older models. Our S2000 have been around for a while and are not the interrest generators that they were at first.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:17 AM

Yep, it would get old quite quickly to stay focused on one particular model when nothing newsworthy is happening to it. Would like to constantly read about Mustangs all the time? The "S" is old news.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:28 AM

As others have noted, the S2000 is old news and it's worthwhile to remember that the S2000 was was created to commemorate Honda's 50th Anniversary.

The '04 update was more or less a trip to the plastic surgeon and health club to "freshen" up the car but certainly nothing dramatic for the enthusiast market. In some respects, it probably took a little of the edge that enthusiast's like about the S off to make it more appealing as a daily driver...
Old 05-01-2005, 06:05 AM

There are always gonnna be new flavors of the week so it is to be expected. The thing is to find the right car, the one that is gonna end up a classic - they produce the most satisfaction(and resale value).
Old 05-01-2005, 08:06 AM

It does not receive the "feature" status which it once did, but I find it exists as sort of a benchmark by which many other cars are compared.

It is certainly yesterday's news headline-wise, but it is still a contender in its class.
Craig
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Great replies. I love my car.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:44 AM

theres so many new cars...they sell magazines. The S is an awesome car, but not the media attention getter....
Old 05-01-2005, 08:46 AM

The automobile press has not forgotten about the S2000.

Earlier this year the R&T issue on sports cars comparisons included the S2000 and it did quite well against more expensive competition. During the second half of last year the Lotus Elise was run against the S2000 and others in C&D, etc., and again the S2000 was viewed favorably.

Also, even if the car press has for whatever reason gone a little cool on the S2000, my experience among other car owners since purchasing my MY05 late late year indicates the car-owners in the know respect the S2000.

Recently a colleague who owns a 911 commented on what a great car the S2000 is and another who just bought another in a long line of Corvettes told me I had great taste in cars upon seeing me in my S2000. Another friend who bought a more expensive german-made 2 seater had been turning his nose up at my S2000 bought about the same time until just a few weeks ago when he rode in it for the first time and he said afterwards, that he had "bought the wrong car."
Old 05-01-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by karwath,May 1 2005, 10:46 AM
Earlier this year the R&T issue on sports cars comparisons included the S2000 and it did quite well against more expensive competition.
Yup, that's been one of my favorite articles. For those who haven't see it, it's a comparison of:

This is the final standings:

1st - Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
2nd - Porsche Boxster S
3rd - Porsche Carrere S Coupe
4th - Lotus Elise
5th - Honda S2000
6th - Dodge Viper SRT-10
7th - BMW Z4 3.0i
8th - Nissan 350Z "35th Anniversary" - this is an updated 300hp version!!
9th - Mercedes-Benz SLK350

They start out in the evaluation of the S2000 with:

"Coming into this test, no one gave the S2000 any serious consideration. It was simply a car meant to fill a spot as Honda's sports-car representative. (The Acura NSX was left out because it's likely to be discontinued next year or be replaced by another model.) And since this head turning 2-seater met all the sports-car criteria for this test..... "what the heck," we said"

They also said,

"I had honestly forgotten just how good a sports car the S2000 is. The gearbox is quite simply the best in the world, with wonderfully short, extremely positive throws. This current S2000 is less twitchy than the original, and was the easiest with which to execute beautiful 4-wheel drifts through the Bottonwillow's faster corners. Man, is it fun," said Mike Monticello, Associate Editor.

A mid pack showing isn't bad for a little four banger that costs less than half and almost less than a third (in some cases) the money of it's competition. I know that comparison tests like this need to be taken with a grain of salt but it's nice when our car seems to do so well, and I AM biased!

FWIW!
Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: S2000 Losing Favor?