S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 insurance coverage

Old 08-08-2024, 09:42 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,857 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
CAUTION!

That sounds like a Stated Value policy, vs Agreed Value used by Hagerty and all reputable specialty ins.

Most non specialty ins only offer Stated Value, not Agreed Value.

Basically, a Stated Value policy is worst of both worlds. You pay more, but get no extra coverage. Sound like an impossible ripoff? Yup.

Stated Value sets the MAX they'll pay. They'll pay you whichever is LOWER. The default evaluation they'd do with any car, or your Stated $ amount. So you could actually get LESS with a Stated Value.

These things are definitely NOT in any way similar.

Beware.
Yeah, must agree. Stated value is not the same as agreed value.
Old 08-08-2024, 11:32 AM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
CAUTION!

That sounds like a Stated Value policy, vs Agreed Value used by Hagerty and all reputable specialty ins.

Most non specialty ins only offer Stated Value, not Agreed Value.

Basically, a Stated Value policy is worst of both worlds. You pay more, but get no extra coverage. Sound like an impossible ripoff? Yup.

Stated Value sets the MAX they'll pay. They'll pay you whichever is LOWER. The default evaluation they'd do with any car, or your Stated $ amount. So you could actually get LESS with a Stated Value.

These things are definitely NOT in any way similar.

Beware.
Yep and they will most times screw you over on valuating things. Friends had an ITR that they only ever autocrossed in street class. The car was immaculate and had only about 60,000 miles. But they had regular insurance on it. Her car broke down so she drove it to work one day and had to work a bit late, came out and it was gone. Found stripped a week or two later. Insurance told them "we dont believe that car only had 60,000 miles, most at this age would have over twice that" and seriously screwed them on the value. I think they maybe got half of what the car was worth. If it is not agreed up on value on a car like this, do not trust they wont do this to you. The s2k is not actually bringing the stupid prices that it was a couple of years ago, but it is still bringing a lot more than what most insurance is going to give for a 20 year old Honda ( cause to them, it is just a 20 year old honda). So this is a perfect case for Hagerty or similar.
The following 2 users liked this post by engifineer:
GuthNW (08-09-2024), noodels (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 04:15 PM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I got a quote, several times over the years, at Hagerty but never pulled the trigger. I heard nasty rumors the management changed and people were getting screwed. I really don't know for sure but it made me hesitant. I use USAA. I have a good record of every S2000 sold on BAT in the event I have to prove the market value with USAA. Never thought of the milage but in California, that is logged with the biannual smog check. My 2009 has 86K which really is not low considering everything.
Old 08-09-2024, 01:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback I have learned a lot. I have a 2003 with 90,000 miles. Nine out of 10 vin numbers and number 10 I have in my possession because it was just puncture damage to the front bumper from road debris. My wife and I just like to go on occasional cruises and I go to one or two car shows a year, otherwise she is a garage queen. And for the mileage she looks almost showroom. The only mod is a cat back, which is easily swapped back.
Old 08-09-2024, 01:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used NCM Insurance for my last couple collectors cars with an agreed value. It goes through American Modern Insurance I believe. Super easy to deal with and they get quite a few S2000's. I know they offer different mileage tiers and a drive to work option.
Old 08-09-2024, 01:58 PM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I got a quote, several times over the years, at Hagerty but never pulled the trigger. I heard nasty rumors the management changed and people were getting screwed. I really don't know for sure but it made me hesitant. I use USAA. I have a good record of every S2000 sold on BAT in the event I have to prove the market value with USAA. Never thought of the milage but in California, that is logged with the biannual smog check. My 2009 has 86K which really is not low considering everything.
I heard that same story. But the few times it was always the same. Someone heard that someone said…. Never any details or anything But while I have not filed a claim on the regular policy, I did late 2022 on their hpde coverage. Extremely prompt, zero issues. Guy even coaxed me to provide more info so they could try to get me more money. And when I informed them I found a couple thousand more in suspension damage than their adjuster did there were zero questions. Two friends totalled cars on track last year and they had easy claims too.
Old 08-09-2024, 11:01 PM

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

You could choose to talk with a few shops that deal with classic / collectible cars and seek out their recommendations. When I spoke with a couple of shops in town, both places recommended Hagerty as they were always the easiest to deal with whenever a claim was involved. I’ve been with Hagerty ever since (6+ years). But before it is time to renew my policy once again I do plan to take a closer look at Grundy. As others have noted, unless your car is a rat trap then the most important thing is to have an agreed value policy with a reputable company.

Old 08-10-2024, 03:32 AM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been with Hagerty for seven plus years. Never had a claim (knock on wood!). I added their Cherished Value Coverage at renewal time this year. For not much extra you get your car back, as well as your agreed value in the event of a write off. With some parts getting harder to get as time goes on, cars with not that severe damage get written off because it's less hassle for the insurance company. With Cherished Value, you could over time source parts yourself and possibly save your car.