S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drive one, you'll get it
Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Nov 29 2007, 02:38 PM
A bit too harsh....?
No, cartboy just seems to have a wonderful talent for pissing people off and derailing this thread. Maybe he should just stick to posting in the street encounters where his mindset "I have a Ported Mitsubishi T5-18Z 10cm2 turbo yo and live my life a /4 mile at a time in school zones" will fit right in.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by YoZUpZ,Nov 29 2007, 01:37 PM
Its ok... he only reason he said that was because he MUST have only driven an AP2...

I have to admit the Mazdaspeed Miata is really, really fun (and the rear whips around really, really quickly) but MX-5 vs S2000... S2000 All freaking day long!

I also agree about coming from more powerful cars but whenever I start feeling sorry for myself, I just take out one of those fast cars or take the s2k to the canyons (when its not snowing like right now)
I agree. The MazdaSpeeds are nice but the price comes so very close to nice, lightly used S2000 that the S2000 becomes a no-brainer. One of the reasons I recommend regular old Miatas is that you can pick them up for next to nothing. The Mazaspeed Miatas lose out since they sell for so much.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Nov 29 2007, 04:27 PM
I agree. The MazdaSpeeds are nice but the price comes so very close to nice, lightly used S2000 that the S2000 becomes a no-brainer. One of the reasons I recommend regular old Miatas is that you can pick them up for next to nothing. The Mazaspeed Miatas lose out since they sell for so much.
And have you ever changed the oil on a MSM? I'll never do it again, unless someone is paying about $250 an hour.

The MSM is a decent car, but it loses the playfulness of the normal Miata IMO.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR,Nov 29 2007, 04:19 PM
And have you ever changed the oil on a MSM? I'll never do it again, unless someone is paying about $250 an hour.

The MSM is a decent car, but it loses the playfulness of the normal Miata IMO.
It is not all that great in the base Miata either since there seems to be almost no way to remove the oil filter without making a bit of a mess. But I agree with you, if you need the additional power of the mazdaspeed then the S2000 (which is still faster) becomes a no-brainer especially since the price difference is slim.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:54 PM

I had a '99 Miata (10th Anniversary model with the 6sp) for a year before the S2000. The reason I sold the Miata so quickly was due to "comfort"... it just didn't have enough legroom. The S2000 is a significant upgrade in that area.

As for fun factor, each has strong points. The Miata is so light and small that the sensation of speed is much greater. It felt quick around town, though you never got going too fast. The S2000, to really get the sensation of speed, you have to get into top of the rev range, which is ~60 in second... too fast for "around town" driving.

All that said, the Miata is kind of alone in that size/weight class. The Elise/Exige is much lighter and more powerful. The S2000 is considered a light car by today's standards, so coming from an STI, it will probably seem to be the lightest, niblest car ever. Only in comparison to something like a Miata or even more so Elise, will it seem like a heavy "less fun" car.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kart,Nov 29 2007, 03:31 PM
Whoa - you are making big assumptions now, for no good reason.

Its my opinion that an S2000 is more fun than a Miata. You can get nasty about it if you need to, or you can accept the fact that not everyone will share your opinion.

Wow some of the people in this forum, sheesh so sensitive . . .
FWIW, my S2000 was more fun stock than it ever was(is) modified. That's my opinion. Raw power numbers have so very little to do with how much fun something is. I may have had the highest hp CTSC'd S2000 on this forum- Asura's was up there, too. My car is currently powered by a 2.5L InlinePRO motor.

All that said, it was still more "fun" stock. Sure freeway jockeying and suprising the heck out of C6's was "fun." That lasted two times. Since I've grown up, doing questionable stuff on the street no longer has that "wow" factor. At the track, fast lap times are my goal. Does the extra hp I have from the stroker help? Duh. Is it fun passing folks? Yes. Is it the end-all be-all? No.

I mainly pointed out that you think a FI S2000 was "it." Fact is, power without traction is nothing. So unless you're headed in a straight line, generally considered not to be the S's strong suit, all that turbo power is held on tap.

Btw, I never said the Miata was more fun than the S2000. Find where I did. I've never driven a Miata- only been a passenger. It is you who is making assumptions.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=TubeDriver,Nov 29 2007, 01:12 PM]No, cartboy just seems to have a wonderful talent for pissing people off and derailing this thread.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

OMGoodness! S2Kart, please stop!!! My side hurts from laughing so!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 29 2007, 03:09 PM
FWIW, my S2000 was more fun stock than it ever was(is) modified. That's my opinion. Raw power numbers have so very little to do with how much fun something is. I may have had the highest hp CTSC'd S2000 on this forum- Asura's was up there, too. My car is currently powered by a 2.5L InlinePRO motor.

All that said, it was still more "fun" stock. Sure freeway jockeying and suprising the heck out of C6's was "fun." That lasted two times. Since I've grown up, doing questionable stuff on the street no longer has that "wow" factor. At the track, fast lap times are my goal. Does the extra hp I have from the stroker help? Duh. Is it fun passing folks? Yes. Is it the end-all be-all? No.

I mainly pointed out that you think a FI S2000 was "it." Fact is, power without traction is nothing. So unless you're headed in a straight line, generally considered not to be the S's strong suit, all that turbo power is held on tap.

Btw, I never said the Miata was more fun than the S2000. Find where I did. I've never driven a Miata- only been a passenger. It is you who is making assumptions.
You assume I am a street racer, which is not true.
As far as S2000 FI or NA, it all fine, it's your opinion. You say S2000>Miata; cool, and I take it back if I posted to the contrary.

My opinion is that an S2000 with more power adds more fun. I prefer a car with at least an 8-9 lb./WHP ratio. Of course you want to maintain good traction and drivability, which the car has. Even with the turbo its not like the car has a ton of power or some crazy monster blast of torque either. In fact the torque delivery is very smooth, easy to feather the power. There are so many track cars with more tire-breaking torque on tap, they are not off in the weeds at every turn.

Game over - no value here to the OP.

Quick Reply: s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?