S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kart,Nov 27 2007, 12:31 PM
Prediction: coming from more powerful cars, you will soon become discontent and will want back the torque curve. FI is the way to go.

ps - Miatas are nowhere near as fun as an S
Its ok... he only reason he said that was because he MUST have only driven an AP2...

I have to admit the Mazdaspeed Miata is really, really fun (and the rear whips around really, really quickly) but MX-5 vs S2000... S2000 All freaking day long!

I also agree about coming from more powerful cars but whenever I start feeling sorry for myself, I just take out one of those fast cars or take the s2k to the canyons (when its not snowing like right now)
Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 AM

When I went from my BPU+ Supra to the M coupe, it was a huge decrease in power. First time i drove the little coupe I nearly shat my pants, it was so fun. It made the supra feel like a bath tub. So I definetly understand that I will be taking a step down in straight line speed....which does not bother me at all, so long as I love the way the S drives.

The STi was just not a very fun car to drive. Period.

I have arranged to test drive an AP2 this weekend (family friend) - and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I would really like to drive an AP1 also, so hopefully I can get that done as well. Thanks for the response guys, it has cleared a lot up for me !
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Nov 29 2007, 11:12 AM
Oh, Mr. E-thug flexs his big muscles. There was a completely civil discussion in here until you stomped in and started name calling. Reading comprehension is something you should consider working on since you apparently forgot that as well.
Waaaahhh
Old 11-29-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jacky Treehorn,Nov 29 2007, 11:51 AM
When I went from my BPU+ Supra to the M coupe, it was a huge decrease in power. First time i drove the little coupe I nearly shat my pants, it was so fun. It made the supra feel like a bath tub. So I definetly understand that I will be taking a step down in straight line speed....which does not bother me at all, so long as I love the way the S drives.

I have arranged to test drive an AP2 this weekend (family friend) - and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I would really like to drive an AP1 also, so hopefully I can get that done as well. Thanks for the response guys, it has cleared a lot up for me !
I'm guessing you already know the main differences between an AP1 and AP2?

AP1 has stiffer suspension --------------------------------------> AP2 is more comfortable and forgiving
AP1 has tighter steering ratio -----------------------------------> AP2
AP1 with throttle oversteers like a biatch (fun as hell) -------> AP2 is easier to control
AP1 has higher redline and higher top speed -----------> AP2 has more torque & tighter gearing
AP1 has better front bumper (imo) -----------> AP2 has better headlights, taillights, rear bumper
AP1 has a nice feeling clutch -----------------> AP2 has clutch delay valve (MUST remove it if you buy one)
AP1 has more of a go-cart feeling to it

I probably forgot some subtle differences... if you do go for an AP1 get a 2002 or 2003... I didnt do my research and got a 2001 (carpeted center console and plastic rear window
Old 11-29-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR,Nov 29 2007, 11:20 AM
Speed isn't everything, and the OP has realized this, you haven't. It's clear that you wouldn't be happy in a very fun to drive car simply because it's not "fast". I like power too, but it's not everything.
? In the world of sports cars, power isn't everything but its very important to most. With this discussion being centered on sporty cars, a Miata is considered a weakling.

I've got a slow fun car - a '32 Model A truck. Yes it is very "fun", no it is not fast.
A Miata loses much of its fun factor because of its lack of power , plain and simple. Even the S2000 is "fun" limited by its limited power. A powerful car that does not have the world's greatest handling is also fun. A great handling powerful car (aka FI S2000) is the best.
Coming from a background of more powerful cars, thats just the way it is.

ITBL
Old 11-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jacky Treehorn,Nov 29 2007, 01:51 PM

I had an 03 AP1 and currently have an 05 AP2. The main differences are pretty well known, I sort of favored the more direct feel of the AP1 over the AP2 even though the AP2 is probably a bit faster overall (certainly easier to drive).

The AP1 was able to do over 60 mph in 2nd gear while my AP2 (even with tall 275/40-17 Hoosier A6s) tops out around ~58 which makes a difference for autoX.

Both AP-1/AP-2 are pretty undertired in front, wider front tires and a front swaybar allow the S2000 to almost have the turn in of a Miata (and still allow you to remain in AS).

Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kart,Nov 29 2007, 03:18 PM
A great handling powerful car (aka FI S2000) is the best.

ITBL
You talk as if no one here has ever owned a 400 whp S2000.

And if the thread gets locked, it'll be because of your posts and no one else's. Unless one is on a track, speed limits are imposed. Exceeding them is done everyday. Exceeding them excessively/repeatedly on the street/freeway is juvenile.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 29 2007, 12:26 PM
You talk as if no one here has ever owned a 400 whp S2000.

And if the thread gets locked, it'll be because of your posts and no one else's. Unless one is on a track, speed limits are imposed. Exceeding them is done everyday. Exceeding them excessively/repeatedly on the street/freeway is juvenile.
Whoa - you are making big assumptions now, for no good reason.

Its my opinion that an S2000 is more fun than a Miata. You can get nasty about it if you need to, or you can accept the fact that not everyone will share your opinion.

Wow some of the people in this forum, sheesh so sensitive . . .
Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 29 2007, 12:26 PM
And if the thread gets locked, it'll be because of your posts and no one else's.
A bit too harsh....?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Yep some people get so upset if you dare insult their ride. Whatever

Quick Reply: s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?