S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only alternative would be a 911 convertible, with all the downsides... Not sure I want to go that way.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Nov 27 2007, 12:40 PM
I'll bet $$$ you have not driven both on a track.
I've driven both at PIR in NA and FI versions. I've driven and owned MANY faster cars as well. As for fun factor alone, my '68 Firebird, '69 Vette, and TR-6 were right up there. I've got a '32 Ford Model A truck that is very fun to drive, but for entirely different reasons of course. My '06 Silverado Duramax is fun, all 630 ft lbs of torque Hell you have no idea what my other 3 cars are.

A fully prepped Miata on a track is more fun than a street Miata on the street - no chit genius! BUT a track S2000 is more fun than a track Miata.

We are talking about a mostly street car - S2000 FTW - no question
FUN FACTOR:
It handles as good or better
It feels better, whether it actually handles better or not
It looks WAY better
Its MUCH faster
Its generally much cooler
Way more respectable on the street

Sheesh I drove so many verts when shopping for the S, the mita would have been in last place if I hadn't driven the Audi TT. If the OP was not content in a rex, no chance he will like a mita.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by S2Kart,Nov 29 2007, 07:49 AM
I've driven both at PIR in NA and FI versions. I've driven and owned MANY faster cars as well. As for fun factor alone, my '68 Firebird, '69 Vette, and TR-6 were right up there. I've got a '32 Ford Model A truck that is very fun to drive, but for entirely different reasons of course. My '06 Silverado Duramax is fun, all 630 ft lbs of torque Hell you have no idea what my other 3 cars are.

A fully prepped Miata on a track is more fun than a street Miata on the street - no chit genius! BUT a track S2000 is more fun than a track Miata.

FUN FACTOR:
It looks WAY better
Its MUCH faster

Sheesh I drove so many verts when shopping for the S, the mita would have been in last place if I hadn't driven the Audi TT. If the OP was not content in a rex, no chance he will like a mita.
You are confusing "Fun factor" with other variables.

You have driven at a single track and you did not have fun in the Miata? That makes you about the first person in history to think the Miata is not a super fun car to drive (not super fast or super bling just "fun").

Next time "genius" read the thread carefully before jumping in here like the bad ass, 18 y.o. e-thug you probably are. If you had taken the time to read this thread you would have seen that I recommended the S2000 over a Miata for a street car that will see a few autoXs.

Still does not change the fact that I think the Miata is more fun even if the S2000 is a more capable car. But that is just my opinion.

As for you last statement, I own a 06 STI but like my Miata a LOT better because it is more FUN.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kart,Nov 29 2007, 08:49 AM
FUN FACTOR:
It looks WAY better
Its MUCH faster
Great basis for your side of the debate!

You have insecurity issues. While the S may have more clout, I'm not exactly sure how that translates into any add'l fun, unless of course, you're still in that stage of your life where you worry about what others think.

I have a semi-prepped track S2000. I've ridden in Tubedriver's track Miata on the track. It was fun! You can toss that car about without fear of having to take a second mortgage. That alone can add to the "fun."

Both are "fun." One has more potential for faster lap times(without addinga V-8 to the Miata), but the OP didn't say he'd be tracking it. The S2000 is a great car, but I'm no Honda fanboi.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 AM

I like the S2000, but I have to admit (I guess I should put a flame suit on first eh?) I am completely bored with the car.

Sure, it's a great autocross car, and I'm winning my class without an issue... but that's partly it.. it's too easy to drive, it's way too well behaved IMO. The worst thing is that I need to cut the interior up or remove it to put a roll bar in to run at half the track events around here, including ones I run. i'm just not willing to do this to a 2006 S2K which is why mine is going up for sale.

I like my S2K for road trips (go figure) but hate it around town, it's just too civilized and boring, not raw at all IMO (yes again 99% of you will disagree I'm sure).

As for the Miata vs S2K, I agree with TubeDriver in every point he has made, the Miata is more fun in almost every case, even if it's not as capable stock vs stock. I won't buy a miata because I just feel cramped in them when a rollbar is installed though (at least the street type hard dogs).

My next car to replace the S2K will likely be an oooollllddd MR2 N/A. Yep, it's slow as hell. But it's pretty fun to drive and fairly cheap to maintain and easy to make legal for track use.. plus it's an ITA class SCCA car if I decide to go that route..

OP: If you want to consider a FWD car, consider an Integra Type-R, high theft, but it's a great all around car and very fun to drive.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 AM

^ You have an '06 and live in the land of flat and straight roads. That's all you needed to say.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 29 2007, 10:39 AM
^ You have an '06 and live in the land of flat and straight roads. That's all you needed to say.
LOL I won't deny either, and honestly both related to my recent opinion of the car.

If I lived near/in the mountains I'm sure I'd absolutely regret selling the S2000. However, as you pointed out, I don't I don't drive the car on the street except to get to/from an autocross, or to a track event or road trip. Since I got back from a VIR event back in June I think I've put 1500 miles on the car, at least half of that was driving it for a few weeks to work when letting a friend borrow my Integra.

The 06 is fun though Yes, the 00-03's have more of an edge to them, but they aren't THAT much different

At least I don't regret buying the S2000 in the first place, it really is a great car and I would like to buy one again in the future, which will be a 00 or 01
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR,Nov 29 2007, 10:46 AM
Since I got back from a VIR event back in June...
We were there in June for the Audi/BMW/MB event. Actually stayed at the Lodge for that event instead of in my trailer.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 29 2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah back when I had my BMW M coupe, I lived in Gainesville FL. FLAT ROADS!!! I got pretty bored too until me and a friend found a few 40 minute runs of twisty backroads. Those are my fondest memories We would make it a weekly thing after classes.

With these kinds of cars it's important to drive them in their element, or you will get bored. I just hope that the S2K is not too civilized as the owner of the 06 stated, I do like a little bit of raw roadsterness that keeps you on the edge.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 AM

I'd say that both the S2k and Miata are some of the most fun you'll have on four wheels. Sure an S2k could beat up the Miata pretty well, but that takes nothing away from the Mazda.

My friend has an '99 NB (that he just put a cloth, zipperless glass window Robbins top on......really beautiful top) and that thing is an absolute BLAST! It easily gave me the nudge to turn me into a roadster freak. He's got the 14" wheels (uber cheap tires FTMFW!) and no ABS. There are few words for how the car feels and handles. Half the time I'm tempted to throw the door open in a turn, hang out and drag a knee Moto GP style.

What the S2k loses in the feel that you're in a metal bubble just big enough for you and a buddy and that whole sensory experience, it makes up in a very communicative and responsive chassis, and probably one of the best feeling transmissions that you'll drive off a dealer lot. Can't forget to mention probably one of, if not the best production 4 cylinder engine ever. Basically, the S2k is better than a lot of drivers out there.

As for the durability/overrev thing posted above, I can see the Miata's better tolerance of that. Especially with the F20's redline, an overrev takes you into 5 digit RPM's far more easily than the Miata. Honda really has that engine running on the edge, therefore excursions beyond that can become expensive.

Quick Reply: s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?