S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?

Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?

Recently my04 subaru STi was stolen out of my apartment complex, and I have been on the hunt for a new car and a new apartment with a garage .

I was planning on getting rid of the STi anyways because it just did not suit me. It was fast, but not a very challenging car to drive. It was easy to go fast and I felt disconnected from the road. For some background info, 3 years ago I sold my 95 BPU+ Supra TT for an S52 1999 BMW M coupe. I made the mistake of getting rid of the M coupe for the STi. The Supra was badass...just crazy power, but was a one dimensional car.

To this day, the M coupe was the most raw badass, fun sports car I have ever driven. I am looking for a balanced sports car that is just a blast to drive. The M coupe gave this to me, but unfortunately the value of those cars are beginning to appreciate and is slightly out of my price range. Which leads me to the s2000.

As owners, do you feel like the s2000 gives you that driving satisfaction, fun factor? After doing intense research on this car, I feel like it is a true driver's car. It has taken me a long time to figure out what exactly I want in a car, and it is not just blistering speed. I guess I will have to test drive one very soon But I have a feeling it will be right for me.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 AM

It is definately fun to drive. You will definately feel connected to the road...I can guarantee that.

The only thing you may miss or feel lacking given your previous car history is a lack of torque...assuming you stay NA.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Leo,Nov 27 2007, 08:26 AM
It is definately fun to drive. You will definately feel connected to the road...I can guarantee that.

The only thing you may miss or feel lacking given your previous car history is a lack of torque...assuming you stay NA.
Yeah that is what I keep hearing. Hopefully it won't be a problem if I stay in the powerband when I need to get on it.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Everything you described is what the S2000 is. Fun, light, well balanced, its a fantastic sports car. I highly suggest you go test drive a few (AP1 and AP2) to get a feel for what the car is all about. Also, the owners community is fantastic. You'll be hard pressed to find everything this car has to offer for under 50K elsewhere.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 AM

For the price it can't be beat. It's hard to move on to another car after owning the S2000. The only other car I've driven that provided the fun factor of the S was the Elise.

Definitely take on a long test drive with some twisty roads
Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One test drive had me sold. Never driven anything that just felt like this car
Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

just do a test drive, it will reveal what you wish to know.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Wow I really want an STi.... strange lol The S is very nice but lacks the Touque and the Confort of a longer wheelbase 4dr sport sedan though..As for the "feeling connected" part yes it's the type of car that must "be drivin" with careful attention to the road
Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the 104 cars i've now driven (I have a list...), the S2000 continues to be my overall favorite. It's just incredibly raw and well-rounded as being a good driving toy. Having a convertible roof really seals the deal.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the S is the car you're looking for. You'll probably get a steal on one because I hear they're a pain through the winter. VSA is a great feature if you plan to DD through winter, and snow tires are a must.

After you've had it for a while and learned the car, look at turbo or a supercharger if you still miss the performance of the M. But as is, it's a great car.

At lower RPM (below 5k), the S2000 is not exciting, IMO. The 04+ 2.2L cars got a small bump in TQ and HP. But the car doesn't ever strike me as slow; it's just much better if I rev it up a bit.

Quick Reply: s2000 "fun" factor - driver's car?