S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 exhaust

Old Yesterday | 12:48 PM

Default S2000 exhaust

What is this piece and what does it for, i am trying to go to stock s2000 exhaust
Old Yesterday | 12:49 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ILOVEGOD1

What is this piece and what does it for, i am trying to go to stock s2000 exhaust
That is not a separate peice. Its a welded in helmholtz resonator which is used to reduce drone.

Why does your stock exhaust not have it?
The following 2 users liked this post by B serious:
ILOVEGOD1 (Yesterday), windhund116 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
That is not a separate peice. Its a welded in helmholtz resonator which is used to reduce drone.

Why does your stock exhaust not have it?

So i am trying to make my car as quite as possible and i have aftermarket on right now, i tried putting my cat back on but still loud as heck need to figure out what i need to make it quite
Old Yesterday | 01:06 PM

So i am trying to make my car as quite as possible and i have aftermarket on right now, i tried putting my cat back on but still loud as heck need to figure out what i need to make it quite, and no one has been able to tell.me what to do
Old Yesterday | 01:13 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Oh. Well, just source a stock exhaust and bolt it on. Depending on where you're located, Facebook Marketplace or S2KI marketplace usually has a few used stock exhausts for sale.

I would advise fully giving up on trying to make your aftermarket exhaust quiet. Like...don't even daydream about it because its not worth your time.

A stock exhaust is cheaper than the PhD you'd need to get, in order to make the aftermarket exhaust bearable.
The following 4 users liked this post by B serious:
Chuck S (Today), ILOVEGOD1 (Yesterday), larry resnick (Today), thoiboi (Today)
Old Yesterday | 01:15 PM

So you think just adding the stock exhaust will do it?
Old Yesterday | 04:06 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ILOVEGOD1
So you think just adding the stock exhaust will do it?
Yes, the car was not unbearably loud from the factory. So just install a stock exhaust and it will be quiet again.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck S (Today)
Old Yesterday | 06:54 PM
10 Year Member

Just realized there are two threads same title and first post.

Stock exhaust is going to be wisper quiet. One extreme to other. Solution is UK mod.

Welding in a bypass pipe to back of muffler.

uk mod

The diameter of bypass pipe is how loud it'll be. Entirely subjective. My way too loud is someone elses way too quiet.

But bypass pipe sizes are from 25mm to 44mm. 32mm & 38mm are the other typical choices.

S2000 exhaust-gallery_127936_37900_297089.jpg

This is why it works: (blue is normal flow, red is uk mod flow, some of the exhaust goes red, bypassing muffling parts of muffler, so it doesn't get muffled)

S2000 exhaust-uk_mod_right_wrong_caab0a49a913a6d127eeadd43b162ba5dcce4176.jpg

Last edited by Car Analogy; Yesterday at 07:02 PM.
Old Today | 05:37 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Just realized there are two threads same title and first post.

Stock exhaust is going to be wisper quiet. One extreme to other. Solution is UK mod.

Welding in a bypass pipe to back of muffler.

uk mod

The diameter of bypass pipe is how loud it'll be. Entirely subjective. My way too loud is someone elses way too quiet.

But bypass pipe sizes are from 25mm to 44mm. 32mm & 38mm are the other typical choices.

Attachment 204113

This is why it works: (blue is normal flow, red is uk mod flow, some of the exhaust goes red, bypassing muffling parts of muffler, so it doesn't get muffled)

Attachment 204114
Thank you for the diagram, it helps make sense of how this actually works.
Old Today | 05:39 AM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

Best of luck finding an OEM exhaust. After storing mine in my shed for years it finally went on the curb on trash day 'cuz I couldn't even give it away. One piece so it needs a pickup truck to carry and shipping exceeds the value of the exhaust. AP1, AP2, and AP2CR exhausts are all different. They're all "cat back" and are quieter with the cat in place.

"UK exhaust mod" is hit and miss and it may take several cuts, welds, recut, and rewelds to find a sound you like. And i requires that elusive OEM exhaust as a starting point.

"Best exhaust" "best motor oil" and "best tires" threads compete for most-posts-per-day honors. With no consensus.

Just to save time I'll let ya know I've been running the Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust behind a high flow cat, Royal Purple 5W-30 motor oil, and Bridgestone RE-71 RS tires (or earlier equivalents) for 10 years. And recommend all three. "Gentlemanly performance" exhaust.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: S2000 exhaust