S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 during wet weather...

Old 04-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 during wet weather...

Well, my stock tires aren't bald yet, there's still some threads but they're definitely getting there..... Well last saturday it was raining cats n dogs, n this car really scared the shit out of me... it felt like it would break lose and spin, i was going about 60 on the highway...

Definitely need to replace the tires, i didnt expect it to be that close to the edge of losing control, but it really felt like it...

any1 else ever experienced this too? I'v had a lot of cars, but this definitely was the worse during the rain, granted the tires are fairly old, but i thought i would've had a lil more control than that... but oh well.. lol still love the car! haha was just curious if any1 ever noticed this too?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it really depends on how much sun the tires have gotten, and also airborne contaminants I guess. Even if there's tread left your grippy rubber will deteriorate if the tires are not protected, or just old.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:44 PM

When my car spun on me at 50 in the rain, there was still tread left....That whole rule about the head of lincoln on the penny? Well use it, and consider that the drop dead point, do not let your tires get even low.

You can't really see the tread here, but you can see that they aren't completely bald, but it still spun itself at 50...I was on the interstate and really slowing down because it was getting really loose.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

yeah the car hydroplanes easily, which surprised me with the s02's....
Old 04-25-2005, 09:01 PM

mine went out on me turning at an intersection (from a stop!)...driver error on the countersteer landed me into the back of a parked car. this was a little over a week ago...still waiting to hear about the estimate but it looks like it'll be ~$3k or so.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:50 PM

The OEM tires are dangerous in the back with less than half the tread. You've got to get new ones in the back or you'll get not traction and lose it even on the straights.
The frronts aren't that nasty. Remember this is a rear wheel car. If it wheel hops or hydroplanes you've lost temporary control. The traction control won't help if it doesn't touch the ground. There have been mnay posts on this. Replace the rears and you'll be OK.
cruise safely
Old 04-26-2005, 03:53 AM

You shouldn't be driving 60 in the rain with a RWD car on worn out tires. When I was driving an e36 BMW, unless the tires were brand new, I couldn't drive the damn thing over 45 mph in the rain without that unsettling feeling.

FWIW, the '05 s2000 is as good as any RWD I've driven in the rain.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:56 AM

It's the RE050's they have rain channels, big difference IMO.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:33 AM

The SO2's are not designed well for "rain" driving; if you live in a climate where it rains a good amount of the time and you drive your s2k in the rain than I suggest SO3's; I use them and they have been terrific in wet weather even with minimal tread left. My rears are approaching 11,000 miles and they still continue to grip well even in a torrential downpour.

Of course, not driving erractically helps redue the chance of spin out in a rain storm...use some common sense too.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:58 AM

Yup, and I avoid the interstate like the plague when it rains. I will use it if necessary, but I just enjoy a surface street commute in wet weather. Much safer.

Quick Reply: s2000 during wet weather...