S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 driving in the winter?

Old 09-21-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People have a misconception that RWD cars are bad in the snow. This is not true. It's the tire that's going to make it or break it. You'd be suprised at the night and day handling in the snow after installing a set of snow tires onto a RWD sports car. I've done it with two of them now. The first one a Miata and now the S. I was one of the stupid ones who attempted to drive this car with the OE RE050's in a few inches of snow and wound up eating a center divider, causing nearly $5,000 damage to a not even 1 year old '04 last December. This car is downright frightening with the OE tires in the snow. There was no warning what so ever before it let loose at 50mph and decided to do a few 360's on a two lane interstate.

I have driven the S with my Blizzaks in about 2 inches of snow once so far last March and it was actually quite good. It's very balanced and controllable. Amazing what a car can do when it's actually got traction.

I spent about $1,000 on a set of cheapy 16" wheels and snow tires from Tire Rack. Well worth it, since I am not going to buy a winter beater.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:39 AM

With regards to Chazmo's WS vs LM comment, its not necessarily true. Both tires were designed for different conditions.

The LM series tire was designed for locations where the snow ploughs are quick to do their work. It was designed as a comprimise between snow and dry performance. They give you much better grip on the clear roads, while they aren't the best in deep deep snow, however they'll get you home in a storm.

The WS is the opposite, designed for very snowy conditions, but are very spongy on dry pavement, and they'll wear faster in the dry.

I'm coming up on my 5th season on the same set of LM22's - and they still look ok. I'll probably have to change them after this winter, but I'll definately survive this one. Not sure if a WS series tire would last 5 yrs.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:43 AM

[QUOTE=xviper,Sep 21 2005, 11:23 AM] Ummmm ..................................
Old 09-22-2005, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 03_AP1,Sep 22 2005, 09:39 AM
With regards to Chazmo's WS vs LM comment, its not necessarily true. Both tires were designed for different conditions.

The LM series tire was designed for locations where the snow ploughs are quick to do their work. It was designed as a comprimise between snow and dry performance. They give you much better grip on the clear roads, while they aren't the best in deep deep snow, however they'll get you home in a storm.

The WS is the opposite, designed for very snowy conditions, but are very spongy on dry pavement, and they'll wear faster in the dry.

I'm coming up on my 5th season on the same set of LM22's - and they still look ok. I'll probably have to change them after this winter, but I'll definately survive this one. Not sure if a WS series tire would last 5 yrs.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:55 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Sep 21 2005, 10:00 PM
2. Are other drivers sloppy about clearing their cars near you? Here, Massholes are notorious for turning the key and driving away with inches of snow/sleet sitting on their roofs... That tends to harden and fly off -- thus risking your car getting smashed by flying ice.
Hey, I am Masshole and I do that too!

Less snow I have to shovel off the car the better. I use to leave on the hood to, but it was getting hard to see as it blew off while driving...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Moses, you're the enemy!

Oh, and guys, those are reasonable points about the LM vs. WS tires. I can put the LMs on fairly early and still have a reasonable driving experience on dry pavement, plus they do seem to be wearing pretty well.

Still, if the S were my only car (as the original poster is intending), I would not be satisfied with these tires through a New England winter.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:42 PM

Maybe this will help make sense....
Ive driven in a certified blizzard with blizzaks on an RWD rx7 and with all season on a RWD944 Turbo in 2" of snow.. no problems at all....but, my zrated s02's I put on my FWD 2000 prelude wouldnt go anywhere. Get some winter tires and you'll be fine.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:03 PM

Since it almost never snows here in dallas, when it does I'm all over it. I'm amazed I've never been caught on worlds worst drivers as I usually take up 3 or more lanes on the Hwy in my 1ton dodge laughing histericly
Old 09-23-2005, 10:23 AM

So when do you put your winter tires on? First frost? First snow?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrmophandle,Sep 23 2005, 11:23 AM
So when do you put your winter tires on? First frost? First snow?
Is this a serious question? Just put it on right before it snows or cold enough to get ice on the road. Or, be like me, and put it on when your GF/wife start shopping for winter clothes.

Quick Reply: s2000 driving in the winter?