S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 driving in the winter?

Old 09-21-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I mean with S02's...
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I drive the car in the winter with S03's
[QUOTE=mosesbotbol] A 2nd set of wheels with snow tires should be all you need.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:10 AM

I have driven my car everyday since sept of 03 when i picked it up. l live in the northesast so 4 snow tires in the winter are 100% necessary. Even a light dusting will make your car useless with stock tires. But with the extra rubber you will be fine in most situations. Any serious accumulations will stop you from driving obviously.

And the car is just as fun in the winter as the summer
Old 09-21-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol,Sep 21 2005, 12:22 PM
I mean with S02's...
Nobody in their right mind would drive this car with summer performance tires in snow/ice. Just as you would not drive this car on the track in the summer with dedicated snow tires, why would you drive this car in snow/ice with summer tires?

Paul, what "moses" was trying to say was:
1. This car is no fun in snow/ice with the OEM tires. My point is that this is no surprise and is a somewhat redundant statement.

2. Driving the car even with SO3s is still not fun. SO3s are still NOT meant for snow/ice. This too, is a given and a somewhat redundant statement.

3. He at least does concede that snow tires are a MUST. IMO, this car WITHOUT snow tires does NOT qualify as even basic transportation in winter conditions.

4. He's saying you can easily do "donuts" in winter with summer tires and not wear out the tires. It's pretty easy to do donuts when you have almost ZERO traction.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Any serious accumulations will stop you from driving obviously.
Ummmm ..................................

Oh, and the day this photo was taken, I went out driving in the S. ............................
Old 09-21-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by blastr17,Sep 21 2005, 03:10 PM
I have driven my car everyday since sept of 03 when i picked it up. l live in the northesast so 4 snow tires in the winter are 100% necessary. Even a light dusting will make your car useless with stock tires. But with the extra rubber you will be fine in most situations. Any serious accumulations will stop you from driving obviously.

And the car is just as fun in the winter as the summer

If you want to drive in winter, I suggest winter tires. I bought a set of OEM wheels from EBAY last year and ordered Blizzaks from Tirerack so I was able to drive it throughout the winter. I will probably switch out my summer tires for winter tires in November. Obviously, winter tires are not going to feel the same as the summer tires but it is a small compromise for traction on snow. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 21 2005, 02:20 PM
Nobody in their right mind would drive this car with summer performance tires in snow/ice. Just as you would not drive this car on the track in the summer with dedicated snow tires, why would you drive this car in snow/ice with summer tires?

Paul, what "moses" was trying to say was:
1. This car is no fun in snow/ice with the OEM tires. My point is that this is no surprise and is a somewhat redundant statement.

2. Driving the car even with SO3s is still not fun. SO3s are still NOT meant for snow/ice. This too, is a given and a somewhat redundant statement.

3. He at least does concede that snow tires are a MUST. IMO, this car WITHOUT snow tires does NOT qualify as even basic transportation in winter conditions.

4. He's saying you can easily do "donuts" in winter with summer tires and not wear out the tires. It's pretty easy to do donuts when you have almost ZERO traction.

Yes, my name is "Moses"
Old 09-21-2005, 01:52 PM

Not as hardcore as xviper's, but...

Studded Nokians! I was rolling by Jeeps!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 PM

Any serious accumulations will stop you from driving obviously.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:59 PM

awesome, thanks for the help! never drove a rear wheel drive car before as a daily driver, so was just curious. thanks. if i get a RWD car, ill definatly get snow tiers for the winter, thanks! i appreciate it!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

haroman,

Yup, the car can be driven in winter. If you go for Blizzaks, stay away from the LM series and go for WS series (I have not been impressed with the traction of my LMs, but the WSs we have on our Volvo are terrific).

I think the fact that this would be your only car in winter is a bigger issue ... I'd ask you to consider the following with respect to winter:

1. Are you the kind of person that's anal about the way your car looks? If so, road dirt and salt will make you hate yourself. I don't like to feel like I have to go to a self-wash every few days in the middle of freezing winter.

2. Are other drivers sloppy about clearing their cars near you? Here, Massholes are notorious for turning the key and driving away with inches of snow/sleet sitting on their roofs... That tends to harden and fly off -- thus risking your car getting smashed by flying ice.

3. Do you do a lot of highway driving? I wouldn't want to have to pass next to a highway sander in my S.

Best of luck in your decision.

Quick Reply: s2000 driving in the winter?