S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Discussion over on Miata.net

Old 11-14-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I like Miatas but they are just too damn small. I'm not that tall (6ft)and the car was still tiny for me, not to mention the lack of storage space. The S2000 is like a Cadillac compared to a Miata when it comes to storage space imo, not that an S has much, but if you're creative you can get a lot in one top up.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:49 AM

They do really remind me of Euro roadsters from the 60s and 70s though.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no universal answer as to what car is best.

I initially bought my S2000 because no other car appealed to me the way the S did. I bought it mainly because of appearance. To me, nothing you do to a Miata will make it satisfy me. No amount of paint, body kits, engine upgrades, sound upgrades. Oh, sure, I'll admit that a well-built Miata is a fantastic car. It just won't be one I'll want to give up an S for. Even if the resulting Miata is faster and lighter and more nimble.

And, quite obviously, for any possible car out there, there will be owners that are just as fanatic about the car and why they bought it. No doubt there are Miata owners who are fanatical about their car enough that nothing you can do to an S2000 will satisfy them. What they want is a Miata, regardless.

Every model car has owners who can point out what they bought the car for and why no other car comes anywhere close in that regard.

Going to another car club's forums and trying to tell them that they're mistaken is in bad taste. If an S2000 is what they really wanted, they'd already be on S2000 forums.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I <3 my Honda!

I have a driven a few miatas and while I enjoy thier low weight I would much rather grab the Elise, I know its not in the same price bracket but its about the same distance price wise as the Miata to the S. 28-34-40

BTW, I would not trade my Turbo s for an Elise.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:19 AM

One of the first proper roadsters that I drove back in the day was a 1999 Miata. The shifter was great, the engine, while somewhat torqueless revved freely and smoothly, the car was nimble and tossable, and had a sense of genuineness and simplicity that won me over. It was a "fun" car that I would have liked to own at the time.

But the S instills excitment. You sit low slung in the interior. The engine isn't just another 4 banger, but a high revving, shrieking powerhouse. The chassis feels like its made out of granite with no wiggles, or cowl shake over the worst of bumps, unlike the Miata. The steering is quicker, the brakes are better, the stability at speed superior. The interior has a quality feel to it as does the entire car, unlike the piss poor quality of the Mazda. The S makes you want to just sit down, grab the shifter, and do the job of driving.

The Miata is a fantastic car - but comparing it to the S2000 is ridiculous. The fact that the Miata has already been redesigned once over the life of the S2000 just so it could stay competitive whereas the S2000 still hands many other "sports" cars their asses on a silver platter speaks volumes about the engineering that went into the S2000.

At the end of the day though, we should all thank the Miata for reviving the roadster segment. Zoom zoom indeed.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi,Nov 12 2006, 09:08 PM
When the hell will people wake up and realize that no car is the best, but each person may chose the car the best meets his/her needs/interests?
While I agree with 99% of what you have to say, I have to step in here and remind you that a Ferrari is always the best
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mackeywatson,Nov 12 2006, 08:13 PM
I don't see any bashing going on. Although one guy said a S2000 is "more money" while a Miata is "more fun." I wonder if he actually drove an S2K?
having owned both i would say the miata is more fun for daily driving but the s2000 is much better looking and faster at the limit.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 14 2006, 03:48 PM
I like Miatas but they are just too damn small. I'm not that tall (6ft)and the car was still tiny for me, not to mention the lack of storage space. The S2000 is like a Cadillac compared to a Miata when it comes to storage space imo, not that an S has much, but if you're creative you can get a lot in one top up.
Huh? What space are you referring too? The MX-5 has the same sized trunk and has a real glove box and center storage compartment. What car are you talking about? They are dead even on interior space.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr,Nov 15 2006, 12:28 PM
Huh? What space are you referring too? The MX-5 has the same sized trunk and has a real glove box and center storage compartment. What car are you talking about? They are dead even on interior space.
I'm referring to the space around the passengers like shoulder room and leg room where the S just feels roomier, and the space you can use in the roof well when the top is up so you get more volume than just the trunk. I know the dimensions are very similar, but sit in both cars back to back and the S feels like the bigger car. The seat doesn't go back far enough for me in the Miata, so it makes me feel cramped.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 15 2006, 09:43 AM
I'm referring to... the space you can use in the roof well when the top is up so you get more volume than just the trunk.
That's allowed? ( I mean keeping the top up, not using the space)

Nonetheless, I agree -- the cubic feet numbers may say it's the same size, but everything about the S feels larger. More relevantly, I believe, the S's feel is more solid and purposeful (to me, anyway).

I'll never regret going the way I did, instead of with a supercharged Miata.

Quick Reply: S2000 Discussion over on Miata.net