S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 as DD

Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a hard question to answer because it depends on the person.

For me, I graduated from high school in 1975, I bought my first car in 1974 and every one of them since then has been a 2-seater convertible. So do I miss a bigger car with more space ? Nope, not one bit.

Now my wife did sell her 2-seater when our daughter was born but she is back in a convertible now.

You are questioning the size already so you might miss/need it.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeyr,Oct 2 2007, 09:10 PM
Its a hard question to answer because it depends on the person.

For me, I graduated from high school in 1975, I bought my first car in 1974 and every one of them since then has been a 2-seater convertible. So do I miss a bigger car with more space ? Nope, not one bit.

Now my wife did sell her 2-seater when our daughter was born but she is back in a convertible now.

You are questioning the size already so you might miss/need it.
The question is, did you have that question when you were shopping for your car in 1974?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 PM

The narrow cockpit did make me think long and hard before I bought mine. The interior space seems fine now that I have driven it for a month. As long as you have access to a bigger car when you need it, the S2000 can be a fine primary vehicle.

People get snippy with combacks since some owners fall for the looks of the car but then complain that it doesn't do what it clearly isn't designed to do. Cars built in the MG/miata tradition were never meant to be big or powerful.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 AM

the S2 is go for me! eff a Fit!
*i Daily Drive.
*ive made it thru the worst night of snow Ohio had (with blizzacks of course)
*drive to and from work
*did a 2hour drive to an AutoX event, drove, and drove back home no prob
*check the oil thinking it was low... amazed the AP1 with engine break in done right barely burns a drop....(wat da heck am i gonna do wif this oil in the trunk?)
*street race and chirp tires
*keep my skateboard in the trunk
*pick up and fit all my few groceries from Sam's Club in the trunk
*store food in containers under the seat during long trips or auto X events
*drift in the rain
*evade cops wif radar detection
*rev to 9k for no reason
*judge hot girls wif the tachometer, im picky so most are just "5k pretty"
*and check under my hood just to make sure everythings right, when i already kno it is

and heck no the S2000 isnt too small!
i love my car! lol
i dun think this really proved anything, but me and my SilverFox have had tons of really cool adventures!

isnt that right, Silver, gal?
*s2 redlines loudly*
whoa... umm, yeah, not here, baby...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 AM

Just my .02,

You can't purchase this car if you're looking for something with lots of space. You simply won't be happy if you want to carry more people or stuff around with you.

This car is a little 2 seater that isn't much different from a Miata, MG, AMG, Elise, SLK or Solstice. It's a car made for you, the driver, the passenger compartment is tacked on like an afterthought.

It's sporty, it loves curves and autoX, it isn't much fun for "normal driving". If you want to put stuff in the trunk you can, but it will be a limited amount. Shifting gears will be a pain in the ass in heavy traffic, you can forget yapping on your cell phone if traffic is heavy enough. It's noisy and the insurance premiums are high. You have to sit up straight up in the seats, they don't handle slouching very well. It's a high performance car and should be treated as such, it doesn't have very many creature comforts.

You're in high school, I remember what that was like too. In HS I wanted the hottest thing on 4 wheels also. Though you won't agree with me, I'd suggest a good beater (4 door sedan or an older miata) because you're going to have one or two accidents until you become a good driver. Also, you can haul around your friends, whereas in the s2k it is one at a time. Consider also that as a young driver your insurance premiums are going to be through the roof, your parents may not like paying mountains of cash for insurance. If you have to pay for it yourself, it may be difficult to pay for it through working as the bag-boy at the local supermarket.

I hate it if I come across as a dick. I'd hate to see you get into a car that won't make a good first daily driver. This car is one heck of a great roadster, you won't find many better. But it has compromises that may not be suited for you at the particular stage of your life. There is no shame in starting out in a less hot car, no matter what your friends say. If you really really wnat to get a roadster, please check out used miatas (awesome cars with great bang for the buck). Good luck!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Js2

Originally Posted by Red Dane,Oct 3 2007, 04:23 AM
You're in high school, I remember what that was like too. In HS I wanted the hottest thing on 4 wheels also. Though you won't agree with me, I'd suggest a good beater (4 door sedan or an older miata) because you're going to have one or two accidents until you become a good driver. Also, you can haul around your friends, whereas in the s2k it is one at a time. Consider also that as a young driver your insurance premiums are going to be through the roof, your parents may not like paying mountains of cash for insurance. If you have to pay for it yourself, it may be difficult to pay for it through working as the bag-boy at the local supermarket.

I hate it if I come across as a dick. I'd hate to see you get into a car that won't make a good first daily driver. This car is one heck of a great roadster, you won't find many better. But it has compromises that may not be suited for you at the particular stage of your life. There is no shame in starting out in a less hot car, no matter what your friends say. If you really really wnat to get a roadster, please check out used miatas (awesome cars with great bang for the buck). Good luck!
when i was in high school i didnt even have a car. when i graduated i got my sister's RaV4. IMO it is more convenient for your age to get something like 4 seater because you probably still wanna hang out around more. S2000 brings alot of attention especially if you buy certain colors, and like he said at this stage of your life i dont think it is a good choice due to the reasons he mentioned above. Civic's are not bad at all, by all means if you can get a Civic hatchback SI.. something along those would be cool too.

Unless your really interested in cars and motoring, it maybe too early for you to get a S. I doubt anyone your age are heavily interested in cars other than exhaust, turbo, wheels, spoiler, hood.. etc...

the main question is what is your purpose of the car you need?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:10 AM

the other day i took my mum out in my new S2000 and we went shopping. $400 later, we had the car PACKED full, her with stuff on her lap and under her legs, the trunk full and stuff everywhere. it was quite funny packing all that stuff up. i didn't mind one bit!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

The wife and I just took a 7 day 1750 mile trip in our S. Plenty of room for that. Plenty of luggage space and comfortable cabin. Just dandy for two.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=SheDrivesIt,Oct 3 2007, 07:13 AM] The wife and I just took a 7 day 1750 mile trip in our S.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM

Look guys, people aren't really being dicks when they say "if you're looking for space, this isn't the car for you". That's just being straight with the guy.

I knew when I decided to buy the S that I wasn't going to have space - I didn't buy it for space, I bought it for the performance (the trunk is definitely only there to make the 50/50 weight distribution and for overall looks). The need for space (from time to time) is why I didn't trade in my truck on the S. Thus, when I need space, I have it. On a daily basis, the S fits everything I need it to fit.

Should a high schooler drive one? That depends on why you want to drive it. If you want to drive it for the performance factor (intelligently, of course), then I say go for it. If you're looking for a good car to impress chicks, this one definitely will. If you're looking to be able to hang with your friends all the time, you can always drive and meet them (I do it all the time, and my friends drive sedans). But if you're looking for something to be able to drive multiple friends around in, it's just not that kind of car.

Quick Reply: s2000 as DD