S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 for a commuter?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DD mine. Wouldn't mind having a different DD to DD in, though. But I think I'd rather pay for some DD's than for another DD, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

About my only complaint about the car is the lack of space (but I think everyone is aware of this going in). I've always had coupes or 4 doors before this, so had more room to squeeze shit in on trips/etc. Going to the beach w/ the wife and the s2k doesn't leave you with a whole lot of room to pack stuff. Other than that, there's nothing to not like about the car. I daily drive the car now, but plan on driving my 4 door civic come December when it gets cold.

Personally, I can't stand automatics, and while traffic can be pretty damn annoying at times w/ having to shift constantly, the pains are long forgotten when traffic opens up.

The s2k is definitely less of a "cruiser" than the 350z, which has a bit more comfy ride. Regarding the stereo in the s2k, a good headunit/amp/component set will do the trick just fine.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCs2ooo,Jul 12 2010, 10:24 AM
I do an hour of stop and go every day, each way (only 17 miles, ugh). While the constant clutch-in, clutch-out gets old, it sure is nice when you break free from traffic with 9k rpm shifts with the top down. As others have said on here, it really helps you leave the stress of work behind you.

Go for it!
I just started driving stick recently but what I've found works is if you drive like big trucks do...
Maintain a distance between the person in front of you and let the clutch out slowly and once you get moving take your feet off both the clutch and gas. This works great in my Miata (but maybe its cuz of the low power?)

Also, top down after a long stressful day at work ftw.
(I drive to work maybe once a week so I'm sure the road noise would get old fast if I were to do it daily)
Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 AM

I drive mine daily to work about 20 miles each way. It is a lot of fun! This is my first Manual I have owned and it is so much fun to drive. The weather is so nice now so it is really enjoyable at the end of the day to drop the top. My attitude might change when winter rolls around and its too cold to drop the top every day.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

I dd mine 60 miles a day. I also carry a ton of art supplies in both the trunk and the passengers seat. Space is limited so on occasions when I need to carry more I take out the passengers seat. With that I can fit anything. I really don't drive my car hard nor do I baby it. My one and only complaint is the rattling when the top is up but the fix is to drive topdown My weekend car is the wife's Toyota Venza.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Haha, I bought a 350z to be my DD...My s2k is weekend use only.

Reason: 350z offers heated leather seats (nice in the NE), the weight and lower rpms make interstate travel a little more tolerable, the Z seems better in the rain (probably my tires).

But if I could only keep one car...I'd keep the S.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Jul 11 2010, 05:22 PM
I commute 104 miles a day in mine. My main complaint is the cabin noise. Not an issue on short jaunts, but wears thin on an hour commute. For me, it's worth it to drive a decently light (or at least not obscenely overweight) responsive sports car.
Fuel mileage is pretty good, I get between 27 and 29mpg for my commute (which includes some stop/go a few times a week), so that's a plus.
Same for me in L.A. traffic. Always top down. 12 months of the year.
27-29 mpg........Iphone for tunes/traffic.........doesn't get any better !!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 PM

I drive 30 mins each way. I have no complains for that distance, well other than it's a straight highway (read: boring).

Oh, I'm getting a clear bra for the car as 101 seems to love my car in the wrong way.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2,Jul 12 2010, 11:17 AM
Cabin noise is high
It's stick
Ride is firm
Radio is iffy
soft top
This is all true. I DD mine ~50 miles round trip and am happy doing it.

I would add that I go through tires quickly too--the highway just burns them up with the factory camber. And I'm not willing to drop it to nil just to get more life out of them. OTOH, I love the car, and when the weather is nice, you can put the top down and feel your whole disposition improve.

I upgraded the radio and sometimes wish I had a hardtop for the winter. The ride is uncomfortable for my wife for long distances just because it's stiff. I don't have issues with the car being too small--the trunk is decent sized, so if the ergonomics work for you, I wouldn't expect any issues there. I'm very happy with it.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like most of you find the car suitable for longer commutes. As one poster recommended, I've had comfy, quiet, more practical cars, but find them too boring. I'm looking for a convertible to use as a commuter, I already have a Corvette that I use as a week-end car. I think the S will work, now I need to see if I can find one at a reasonable price. The one I test drove was very nice with 65k, original owner, but he wants $13,500, which is over private party blue book. If he won't come down, the search begins. There aren't very many for sale in my area.

Quick Reply: S2000 for a commuter?