S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 "beats" 350z roadster in Road and Track

Old 06-27-2003, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 "beats" 350z roadster in Road and Track

Got the new August issue in the mail yesterday.

Sales may be slow and discounts available, but it is a good time for the S2000 in the magazines!

They did a head to head vs the new 350z drop-top. The S (a red one, of course) won every category in the "performance" section for a perfect score of 200 (vs 194.3). It won the subjective ratings 188.0 to 185.8, the price as tested, and overall 588.0 to 576.1 .

That said, one editor (a "big boy") would pick the Z - since he fit better.

On styling:

"I feel it (S2000) is one of the best-looking cars on the market today".

"The Honda's exterior styling is conservative, but clean and unified. The 350z roadster is obviously more styled and riskier. Ten years from now, I'd bet the Honda will still look good. The Z's styling might age."

Value:

"The Honda S2000 remains one of the best bang-for-the-buck deals in the roadster market today."

Handling:

"The Honda, on the other hand is an absolute thrill to drive on real-world twisties."

In any case, the Z was FASTER on the track than the S - the "tail-happy" nature of the S at the limit was a problem - plus the Z has that big motor with lots of torque.

All in all a good read, the Z is newer, roomier, and more comfortable - and a very nice car. The Z's built-in boot cover is a big plus - as is the low-end grunt of a big V-6. They did say the Z was more of a grand tourer than a pure sports car. I must say, a guy at the office has a new Z (coupe) in an ugly color and I am really tired of seeing it. The Z roadster (in pictures) looks a LOT better.

Real world, now that it is easy for find an S2000 at a DEEP discount and a lot of Z buyers are paying full price (or more, and it will be worse with the convertible arrives) the S2000 is looking good !

But of course, we all knew that

Dennis
Old 06-27-2003, 07:15 AM

I seriously thought about waiting for the roadster, but I figured at about 41,000.00 I might be stretching my money for a roadster. Then I test drove my 02 Suzuka Blue and I was sold from the get go. No regrets, I truly love this car and for the money you can't beat it!!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:26 AM

It's just another magazine test that really doesn't mean that much for the people already sold either on the Nissan or the Honda...that being said - YEAAAA!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:32 AM

Wow all this good coverage lately is surprising.

Something else to look forward to: Future issue of C&D will feature a SC'd S2000 that brings out the whoopin stick on tuner cars.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:36 AM

Isn't it funny though that usually when one of these comparos comes out and a Honda/Acura is beaten by the new hot thing we say "Ack, stupid POS magazine (C&D, R&T, MT, etc.) must be sponsored by (BMW/Audi/Nissan/etc) cause they always put the newest car in first place and that's why I cancelled my subscription to them cause all their editors smoke crack and are in the back pockets of said sponsoring manufacturer" ????

Having said that, it really is pretty impressive if and when an "older" car wins, especially when it's a Honda product! WOOHOO!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-27-2003, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is no surprise. The Z is an abomination.

(hyuk yuk. There goes THIS thread).
Old 06-27-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa whoa....the Z roadster was faster on the track then the S2000?? wtf? those guys can't drive. the Z coupe is barely faster at best and in some cases slower on a track then the S2000. How could the roadster be faster? tail-happy? man these mag dudes can't drive to save their collective A-holes!!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:13 AM

True... It's like that Eagle wax ad with the Form. red S2k, and the ad with another form. red with a mugen hood... people are starting to notice the car isn't a reincarnation of the del sol.... I ran a 350 coupe, and I thought the guy was going to kill himself trying to beat me... I haven't seen a car break lose like that in a while...
Old 06-27-2003, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait for this mag. to hit the shelves. I test drove a 350z last week. It was your basic-bland test drive around the block that this salesman had for a routine test drive. I was able to open it up a bit. Low end torque is nice. It really didn't feel any faster than my S. Maybe cause it was the Touring model (heaviest trim).

The roadster has got to be even heavier and slower.

Quick Reply: S2000 "beats" 350z roadster in Road and Track