S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 or 370z......?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

get the s2000,

I drove a 370z in manual sport trim, gearbox was nothing like the s2k if I had to compare the two the Z is like churning cream and the S is like a high precision j-dam. Yea the 370z has the power, but if you are looking for power there are far cheaper and better choices out there. IF you are looking for a unique instant classic car with an outstanding mechanical feel go for the S, the aftermarket for the S is there... just don't expect gobbs of torque and power from bolt ons, any true power is made with F/I, and quiet honestly the stock power level is plenty to enjoy
Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
9k!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a hard decision lol! I would really consider your personality, how you'd drive the car, what you want out of the car, what you'll be using the car for, stuff like that. That's really the only way to decided why or why not. For me an s2k just fits me man. I love the rev limit, the close gear ratios, the weight ratio, the way it feels inside it, how everything was postioned, the design, the throttle responsivness...so many things just stuck out to me like wow. I remember the first time I ever sat in an s2k and I just felt like I was one with it ya know? lol It's not you that chooses the car, the car chooses you. Which one do you feel you conect with most? It's like having to choose between 2 hot chicks, you go with the one that is most like you...both hot but 1 stands out and connects with you better. Tough decision cuz I like 370z for sure. So I'm not going to say get the s2k or get the 370z. Get the one that grabs you. :-D
Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 PM

370z is a better all around car, more matured looking, better interior, v6 with more torque. so this is probably better choice if you want some level of luxury. dun forget they got the 7speed auto tranny.

S on the other side is not an good all around car, compare to 370 it is more focused on drivers, it feels way more "raw" as a sports car, it is bumpy, and more of a young people DD to me, also probably cheaper to maintenance.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Here's my opinion:

I've driven a friend's 350z track model through the state of Louisiana, and found it very fun but somewhat tiring.

I've owned my s2000 for almost 2 years now, and I love this car to death. I'm definitely a 'purist' when it comes to cars and the earlier ap1 was particularly what I was looking for. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I've never driven a 370z and have only sat in one to judge the interior, and fit/finish. Overall, compared to the 350z, it's a much nicer car in all aspects.

If I were looking for a new sports car around 30k, I'd choose a hardtop 370z since I'm not fond of the convertible lines for that model. At certain times, the 370z has sex appeal.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Yes, but I find the s2k much sexier,lol
Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM

If all you care about is going fast, 370z is probably definitely faster stock and probably cheaper to mod to make go faster. The S2000's engine, which I should say is a masterpiece, is much harder to get power out of, especially if you don't go FI.

Now it all depends on what you want. If you want a convertible, S2000's the only option. Sure, the 370z comes as a convertible too, but don't get it because it's almost certainly going to be crap. I say that because it wasn't designed as a convertible, so if you take off the roof you have to add more structural beams to restore the structural rigidity you lost, and that adds more weight and all that.

The 370z is surely easier to live with everyday because it is newer and has more torque, but you don't get to put the top down if that's your thing. As for the engines, the 370z is more powerful for sure, being bigger, but the S2000's, although weaker, is just more racey. If you read some reviews you'll see that by upping the displacement to 3.7L, they made the engine less refined, by making it noisier. And don't be tricked into thinking that the 370z has a nice sounding engine from the exhaust, because the exhaust is artificially tuned to make the noise it does, although it's not too bad, but inside the cabin apparently the engine doesn't sound so great. Those same reviewers will tell you that the S2000's engine is a masterpiece though, and it just sounds absolutely wonderful, not to mention it revs really high like an F1 engine.

I think it really is a matter of what you want to do with the car. Because I wanted to go track/autocross, I would get the S2000. The 370z is faster, yes, but the S2000 is much better to drive because it's way lighter. If you just want something sporty for everyday, then the 370z is probably the better choice, unless you enjoy having a convertible. Note though, that by having a convertible there's going to be more interior noise when the top is up. There's also a little bit more maintenance in having a convertible I might add. The S2000 is also harder to drive, but by being so it's also more rewarding. The transmission on the S2000 is really like nothing else too. It's kind of like a Miata. Sure, it's slow and on paper it's not even that interesting, but when you drive it, all those little things come together and somehow it is awesome. I guess it's the same for an iPhone or something too, the specs don't make it seem impressive, but when you use it, it's just so well thought out and refined. The S2000 to me is like a Miata, but as raw as the first gen one and way more exciting.

I sat in my friend's 350z, and it just feels like a normal car, although a sporty one, kind of like my old RX-8. But actually, between the 350z and RX-8 I'd still go with the 8. I assume the 370z hasn't changed that much on the inside, and in that case the S2000 is just so much more special I feel. It's all about personal preference and what you want to do with the car. I prefer a lightweight slower car, than a heavier faster car, because even though I won't go around a track as fast, I will enjoy it more. Somehow, the S2000 would just excite me more than the 370z.

This isn't the exact comparison, but it should give you an idea or summary of what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r91FJApOBw8

Either way, you're definitely going to get a nice car. For me though, I don't really see what the 370z offers that a Mustang GT doesn't. They are priced around the same right? If you didn't know already, the new Mustang GT is a serious performer for the money. It actually lapped Laguna Seca in an identical time as an M3 with the same (racing) driver. If I wanted something that was more comfortable, heavier, but faster, I'd get that if I had the money. If anything, it's better looking(personal), more practical, and still faster than the 370z. It also sounds way better. If you can go a little higher, Boss 302!!! Probably going to get a lot of hate cheering for domestics, but I've never really seen the point in comparing nationalities or even companies for cars. It's best to just compare the individual car regardless of the name or heritage. Unless of course, you're saying something like how the S2000 has loads of F1 technology packed in it from Honda's experience in F1
Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Found a 08 s2000 with 25k miles CPO..$ 23,000... good deal?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 PM

After my '95 Porsche 993 was stolen almost 2 years ago I was in a very similar situation. I was the one who drove my friend's 350z home from the dealer because he was just learning stick and was scared to crash it. I always liked that car a lot. He still have it, I think it was the 2nd year of it? So I was looking at the 370z and S2000 as both cars seem like they would be similar. I only made it to the S2000 test drive before I knew this was the car I was going to get.

I think if you go test drive the cars you should be able to tell. Also I had driven an S2000 hard on a test drive a few years before when I was thinking about getting rid of my RSX. I still will remember when I took a corner and the dealer guy was holding onto the door haha.

Also I don't know what everyone is talking about, as the S2000 stock seems to be a pretty fast car. I know I floored the car for a few friends and they were very surprised.

Oh as an added bonus, females really like the convertible. Well everyone loves driving with the top always down.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though this is an s2000 board, I'd tell you to get the 370. The s2000 is kinda like the NSX if you pay 25k or more for it. Its nice but overpriced especially considering that newer, better performing cars can be had for the same price. For the <20k range I'd say get an s2000 but if you're looking to spend more money and want a faster stock car the 370 is the way to go. Another thing to consider is that the 370 is new so there will be more aftermarket support for it compared to the s2k which I'm not sure anyone will make anything new for it, although there is quite a lot already out there
Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 AM

I'd like to have a 370Z, but in addition to the S. Use the 370 as more the GT weekend car, and the S as my personal therapist.

Quick Reply: S2000 or 370z......?