S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s02 tread wear

Old 10-23-2001, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fronts wore very quickly on the track with a bigger sway bar installed. Instead of driving slow enough to keep the rear tucked in, sometimes I have to drive to keep from scrubbing the fronts, too.

Tanq
Old 10-23-2001, 08:15 AM

20k fronts
15k rears

I didn't realize that the inside part wore out faster than the outside, otherwise I'd have replaced the fronts earlier. Basically I turned the wheels to the stops with the steering wheel and my jaw almost hit the floor when I saw how bald the inside part of the tires were.

Mostly freeway driving, no clutch drops.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by tokyo_james

I am pretty sure you are the only person I have heard of who has worn the fronts down quicker than the rears..... do you drive in reverse a lot???
Its the great road system in Dallas that makes keeping the wheels alligned a treat. As an aside went to the dealer and had them check the allignment as I thought there was excessive toe in. They checked the allignment and said it was in spec but that they had to "recenter" the steering. Did not ask a lot of questions as it was covered under warrantee.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:10 PM

Like I said , 20K on the rears, but the inside of the left rear was down to solid rubber. That part snuck up on me .... (you can drive in the rain on worn SO2s , just pretend your on ice)
Like others have pointed put in this thread, the new rubber (OEM) made the car grip a lot better and feel better.
I paid $439 for the rear set on the car, out the door at Performance Tire in Silver Springs,MD
Dealer wants $480 plus mount and balance!
The tire guy said his experience is that they last about 15K miles.

If all 4 of your tires are worn out on the outside, I believe that's either from hard cornering (getting your money's worth) or spinning the car out at high speed (and not hitting anything to slow you down).
Old 10-23-2001, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Goldtrom
How do you determine the tires are worn out?

Do you:

A) Feel the wear bars to see if they are flush with the tread

B) Wait for the tires to be bald (i.e., wear bars are gone or going)

Cause if some one says "Hey I got 20K miles out of mine" and they meant B that is a heck of a lot different from 20K miles using A.

I've been using the A method... but wondering if I should use some other method... anyone?
At $180/tire and 6000 mile replacement all around, with no track time, definitely B. Actually, I wait for: C) the steel "wear stripes" before replacement.

I am pretty sure you are the only person I have heard of who has worn the fronts down quicker than the rears..... do you drive in reverse a lot???
My fronts also wear out a bit faster, but not by much.

Must be a close encounter with the mythical "understeer" beast
I can vouch for understeer under heavy cornering.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:50 AM

I replaced rears at 20k miles cause they were hydro planing badly.
Fronts still looking good at 29k but I haven't pushed car much in the rain.
I won't run SO2's again
Old 10-24-2001, 10:48 AM

At 9000 miles, I started noticing some sliding, but only when it rained. Yes, I do slow down and am a cautious driver when it rains. Here in central Florida, it rains often. I replaced them at 10K with S03s. It is too early for me to tell if I like them better or not. I still had a lot of tread on my tires, but didn't feel comfortable driving in the rain. Most of my driving is open road at 75mph and I drive a minimum of 86 miles per day. I just wasn't going to take that chance.

Personally, I would never wait until the tires are bald, nor would I recommend anyone else to do so. Good luck!
Deborah
Old 10-24-2001, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This mileage debate is fascinating.
What we would also know in a perfect world, would be the average outside temperature and the tire pressure.
As someone who has thousands and thousands of miles on soft rubber compound tires, pressure makes a huge difference in tread life. When a tire runs hotter than normal because it is low in pressure the wear rate is going to be much faster. A "normal" compound tire is more forgiving to being under pressurized because the rubber is harder and more durable, and yes a whole lot less sticky. If you have not spent most of your time doing burn-outs and you only got 8,000 to 10,000 miles out of the rear tires, you might want to bring the pressure up a few pounds on the next set and see if they last longer. A swing of 5 psi or less will have a very dramatic effect over 10,000 miles.
Although many of you realize I have yet to welcome my ordered Spa '02 S2 into my garage, I have been driving a CRX-Si with R-compound tires for 10+ years and have replaced tires on the motorcycle so many times over the past 15 years I could not even begin to count them.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:20 AM

What kind of miles are you getting with the R-compound tires? Most have pretty low tread wear ratings (40? 50?).
Old 10-24-2001, 11:27 AM

First set of rears replaced at 13k, wear bars showing on inside, started feeling "squirrelly" at about 11.5k though so I slowed down my turns a bit.

Second Set of Rears replaced at 22k but still have about 2k left on them. (Blew out a rear driverside rear so...)

First set of fronts worn blad on the insides replaced with a set of used fronts from DavePK at 22k but swapped right to left directionally correct. Ran funny at first, but now evening up and looks to have another few thousand miles on them (3-6k at least)

My standard driving is commutes and weekend twisties at 50-80% in moderate Bay Area weather. My car was tracked at Searspoint once on the second set of rears only.

I will continue replacing with S-02's as they last long enough and perform well enough for my driving. (My car does not come out in the rain so wet traction is less of an issue for me)

Quick Reply: s02 tread wear