S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is The S Your Only Car?

Old 03-26-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is The S Your Only Car?

I've been debating whether or not to get the S2000. However, if I did get it, it would be my only car. Is the S too impractical to have as my only car?

Please consider that I am in my early 30's, single, live in sunny Los Angeles, and love to play golf.

If the S is your only car, I'd love to know your opinions on this matter!

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:27 PM

Two cars in my family,the S2 is mine and my wife drives a 2001 Subaru Forester.We use her car most of the time on weekends for running around to the market,cleaners etc...If I only owned one car I'm not so sure the S would be my choice,only because of it's lack of cargo area.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:28 PM

Maveric-

While the S is not my only car (we use it as our weekend/date car and rely on the better half's IS300 as the commuter), I think I can help you here.

The S makes a fine only car for someone with your lifestyle. Granted, it requires some compromises, but what doesn't. You live in one of the few places in the world that allows year round top down driving, and you should take advantage of that. Plus, the ladies dig the car (sorry ladies for being sexist but it's true) and this can't hurt a single guy in LA.

My sister owned and loves a 1990 Miata base package for 11 years. The little bugger saw her through the end of high school, junior college, college, a few jobs, and quite a few moves. Keep in mind that her car was even smaller than ours, had a smaller trunk, and for a very long time, had a crappy plastic window (until she replaced the entire top 8 years in with a fantastic Robbins Top). She managed to maintain a very active lifestly (snowboarding, biking, running) with little to no problem. You learn how to pack the car, and learn the beauty of having friends with trucks and SUV's (hell, damn near everyone has one). She coped just fine. In fact, when it came time for her to finally replace her original Miata, I gave her my 1996 Miata. (I bought mine used after seeing how much fun she had with her car and my Miata was the jumping point for me to get my first S). My long winded point is that it's entirely doable. Moreover, it's a fun only car especially here in S. CA.

If you can afford it, then go for it. Much like my Miata (even more so in fact) it puts a smile on my face every time I see it, let alone drive it. Few "practical" only car choices will do that for you, IMO.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:56 PM

I like having the S as my only car... It's works well for me b/c I usually commute alone and don't carry much with me. My daily commute consists of winding, surprisingly well-paved, side roads. I also have access to my girlfriends Jetta 1.8t, so I'm never strapped for passenger/cargo room. I'm happy with my decision. One thing I noticed about your post is that you like to golf. Depending on the size of your bag, the S may not lend itself well to this sport. And if you are planning on golfing with a friend, you'll have to make the choice b/w bringing him or just his clubs. When I have a passenger I usually put my CD case in the trunk to make room. It's usually a tight fit under any circumstance, and any bit of room is welcome. Also, what kind of driving do you do regularly? Is it mainly highway? Do you drive a lot or a little? I'm sure that there are people on this board that use their S for highway use and enjoy it, but IMHO this is not a highway/cruising car. It is really a great car for cruising long strips through the twisties. If you're constantly stuck in LA traffic, you may want to take it into consideration. I remember living in LA, and it was the only time in my life wherein I enjoyed having an automatic. Just my $0.02.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:17 PM

It's my only car Even manged this whole winter in Minnesota with out bothering to put my Blizzacks on The secret is, don't drive on roads that have snow on them

Shrubba
Old 03-26-2002, 05:24 PM

Go for it. Life's too short.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:32 PM

I use my S2000 year around. My wife has a car but it is pretty much her car, my car (she can't drive manual). I do not have any problems dealing with the "Honey do" list. I do not carry the spare tire (you shouldn't use it anyway) which gives me plenty of room.

If you can afford the car - go for it!
Old 03-26-2002, 05:33 PM

I agree...GO FOR IT

I use it as my only car as I refuse to drive my wife's car and am a terrible passenger. Golf clubs fit nicely, so does an overnight bags for weekend trips as does our local shopping for food etc....

Waited 2 years to get this whilst working in NY/London but following the obvious recent events, am now living for today and not tommorrow.

Enjoy....you will wonder why you were guessing yourself.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The S2k is my only car. This is my 3rd roadster as an only vehicle. I've never had problems with a roadster as my only car during the times of my life where I was single. I mean it has plenty of room for groceries or luggage for one person.

Now, if you get married and have kids, then taking the family out for ice cream in the S2k might get crowded.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:40 PM

It's my everyday car. I've put 13K miles on in 8 months and I don't have a single complaint. I really don't think the car was intended to be an everyday driver due to it's: rear wheel drive, stiff suspension, high performance tires, 2 seats, lack of storage room, and more. However, I worked hard to get this car and I make it work. And if you're going golfing, your clubs will ride shotgun with the top down! DO IT!

Quick Reply: Is The S Your Only Car?