S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

?s - Snell or DOT approved Helmets

Old 10-18-2001, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?s - Snell or DOT approved Helmets

I ran a search and couldn't find what I am looking for.

I found a couple helmets, each is a little different but my main concern is if I would pass the tech inspection.

Here is the safety spec on Arai and Bell:
Snell 2000 and DOT approved.

Here is the safety spec on other brands:
Exceeds Snell standard and DOT approved.

Exceeds Snell standard? what da heck is that? is that suppose to be something better than the Snell 95 or 2000?

And those good looking Arai helmets are actually motorcycle helmets, but are Snell 2000 approved. not sure about Bell, can anyone shed me some light please
Old 10-18-2001, 03:09 PM

The SA approved helmits are for sanctioned auto racing, the motorcylce helmits have a M rating. Most of the literature is very clear with a SA or M rating. Be cautious of SA helmits on sale now, they could be SA1995 rated instead of SA2000 rated. This means they will not be able to be used as long. Most sanctioned auto racing organizations (SCCA, NASA, IMSA) will require a SA1995 or SA2000 for 2002.
Old 10-18-2001, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A SNELL Rating is far superior to a DOT Rating!

As you indicated this line is a useless combination of words "Exceeds SNELL standard" because it does not quantify what year they are referring to. A SNELL Rating is always dated and as mentioned, a specific series or driving school/autocross organizer will specify what year rating they deem acceptable. The SNELL Rating is always on a label in the helmet and be careful of ordering on-line or catalog shopping because you really need to verify what the SNELL Rating is.

In general terms you will find SA helmets are more money because their protection standard is much higher. The SA helmet not only has to endure a specific impact but it has to endure several specific impacts after the first big one without breaking down. The M class for motorcycles has to endure basically one major impact but not several. There is a lot of info about SNELL standards on the web. SNELL is a man's last name who was killed and his wife is the one who has made it into an industry standard. I tip my hat to Mrs. Snell!

You might give these two a try:
Motorcycle Warehouse
http://www.accwhse.com
I love my Shoei and as an avid motorcyclist and high-speed driving school instructor I think they are the best. IMHO.
Racer Wholesale
http://www.racerwholesale.com

Things to be aware of.
Go for a SNELL rating of the most recent year possible, that way you will get more use out of it.
Once you have found a helmet you want and can get a good deal ordering on-line or over the phone, go to you local motorcycle shop who handles that brand and try it on. Nobody seems to have the same size standard and trust me on this - you do not want a helmet that does not fit perfect!!! You can also see how much more the motorcycle shop wants to charge for the same item and walk away with a big because of how much you are going to save.
The correct size is rather tight, but not so tight that your head feels squashed and you are developing a headache. Once the helmet is on, if you try to move the helmet on your head it should not really move you should be fighting against your neck muscles. A loose helmet is dangerous, that is all there is to it.

Good luck shopping, hope this helped.
Old 10-18-2001, 04:37 PM

Thanks man ! Now I know what to do
Old 10-18-2001, 04:42 PM

(I'm working to get to into second gear!)
Old 10-18-2001, 04:54 PM

I hear ya ... been there
Old 10-18-2001, 06:01 PM

mstw-
The reason I like the Shoei is the quick release on the visor shield. With the pulling of just two tabs the face shield is completely removed. Other helmets I've owned over the last 10+ years were a lot more screwing (literally) around. I have always believed in a full-face helmet for the motorcycle but I just don't like the extra plastic in front of my face while in the car.
Plus there is one modern feature I do not like and that is the quick release on the chinstrap. I really prefer the traditional strap through two loops because it is easier to adjust when you have cold weather cloths on, like a turtleneck. The wind at 100mph with the window or top down can get a bit nasty. And one more thing - seriously consider a neck support. If you are ever in an accident the support greatly reduces the movement of your neck by reducing the distance the helmet can move. Trust me on this, I know several instructors who would never consider getting into a car without one because they have had a hard shunt into the wall and their neck hurt for weeks.

http://www.racerwholesale.com/Merchant/mer...ct_Code=MAT4122

Good luck, have fun, and keep it safe!