S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: S2000 or Sti?
S2000
95.12%
Sti
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

RWD vs AWD

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure you realize this, but:

Most of the time on the street, the "faster" car isn't necessarily determined by the faster driver, or the car that handles better, it's determined by which driver is more willing to risk life and limb and public safety in order to satisfy his or her ego in a moment of poor judgement. A slower car that some idiot pushes to 10/10 on the road will be faster than a more capable car that is being driven more conservatively at 8/10.

This is why racing on public streets is stupid. Because anyone who pushes their car or talent anywhere near the limit in public is a bonafide dumbass, and all it does is encourage lesser minds to follow along. For all you know, the only difference between your S2000 and your friend's Evo is a stronger sense of self preservation.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8

Most of the time on the street, the "faster" car isn't necessarily determined by the faster driver, or the car that handles better, it's determined by which driver is more willing to risk life and limb and public safety in order to satisfy his or her ego in a moment of poor judgement. A slower car that some idiot pushes to 10/10 on the road will be faster than a more capable car that is being driven more conservatively at 8/10.

This is why racing on public streets is stupid. Because anyone who pushes their car or talent anywhere near the limit in public is a bonafide dumbass, and all it does is encourage lesser minds to follow along. For all you know, the only difference between your S2000 and your friend's Evo is a stronger sense of self preservation.

Well said . Street racing is like street fighting. If you fight like this is your last second living on Earth, then your chance of winning is much higher then if someone just fight joking around.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 AM

Keep the S2000.

I've owned both. The Evo was much less enjoyable to drive on a daily basis, and felt like it had way too much electronic nannies to truly enjoy it. It also feels like a heavy car where the s2000 feels much more nimble. The entire time I had the Evo I'd be thinking about the topdown fun I had in my old Mazdaspeed miata which I missed alot until I finally decided to get rid of the evo and pick up the s2000; because not only is it a much more expensive car, but it will also be much more expensive to maintain. I replaced my tires after 10k miles of day to day driving with occasional spirited driving, supposed to change the diff/transfer case fluid every 15-20k miles if you want it to perform well. There is also a shitload of electronics on the damn thing, airbags galore, TPMS(which I hate with a passion), seat sensors to detect if there is a passenger or not, and random other things that really don't interest me but the gov deems necessary. lol END RANT
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You live in LA, there is no snow, screw the STi. The S2k is dual purpose in LA, going fast and being seen.

Get some proper brakes and wider tires on your S and take it to the track with your pal.

PS: I drove an awd Talon for 10 years as my main transportation. I loved that car, I still love that car, but I wouldn't trade my S for it
Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are people still talking about the OP getting a Evo? He wants an STi.

Go test drive the STi, then after drive the S again. And see what reaction your pants have (both front and rear).

STi is a more practical car, more seats, more room.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by yb4u
[attachment=15543:5502747578_48e946daab_z.jpg]

Hey guys I drive a turbocharged, mildly modded ap2 right now.
Today my friend and I went to local mountain road to have some fun.
My buddy just purchased 2011 evo and wanted to go check it out.
Here's what happened, I was leading the whole time but we tried something different near the end.
He was trying to leave me behind and I was trying to keep up. First corner was pretty wide high speed corner and by the end of the corner he left me in the dust.
I know I'm not a very fast driver but I don't consider myself "SLOW" driver. But my friend and I are on the same level.
I felt a strong gap between rwd and awd today.

Second part of the topic is I'll be getting a new car in about a month or two.
Personally I like the sti much more than evo because of the aesthetics. I know that many people say evo's a way better car but if I'm gonna get an awd its gonna be sti.
So should I try to drive fast with a sti or get another s2000 and learn to drive faster?
My friend mentioned he didn't have as much fun as he did with his miata. If I get the sti it'll be daily and mountain/track car.
I don't want to regret after purchasing the car but I really want to keep up with my buddy.

Thanks guys hope you found this interesting
and thanks in advance for your advise.

Outside of the spot on comments already, what kind of tires are on your car, and what kind of tires are on his?

Tires make a huge difference in handling. On top of that, EVO's are easy to drive fast, your S2000 is not by any stretch easy to drive.

One tip I'll leave here - if you constantly try to buy cars because they are the fastest, or if you feel they are the fastest you are going to be disappointed. There is always someone faster or someone willing to push their car harder than you.

Just drive what you like.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8

I'm with you on this. I own both an S2000 and an Evo. Both are mildly modded, and I definitely think the S2000 is a much better handling car, and only marginally slower in a straight line (remember its got the Evo beat by 650+ pounds).

At near the limit situations the Evo is MUCH more forgiving which is why people are able to go stupidly fast on public streets and not realize how close to the limit they are. AWD, ACD, EBD, S-AWC, and AYC provide a real safe sensation.

Another thing I'd like to add, although the Evo is awesome, it's not nearly as fun and gratifying as the S2000. If I had to choose, it would be the S2000 ten times out of ten.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM

Just wanna say thanks to all of you.
I know my write up wasn't very clear and
some of these comments were something I was expecting but
some really helped me out.
I'll let you guys know when I get my new car in about a month or two.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM

Glad we could help. Head on over to NASIOC and do some reading. If you have any questions , go to IWSTI.com . Those NASIOC guys will tear you to pieces. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a feeling it's your modifications that are slowing down your abilities in the twisties. Does the car seem like it wants to push in a turn then feel like it wants to snap around when you correct your throttle and steering?

From your picture I see you have a giant wing on the back. Do you have a front splitter or more front tire to balance out wing? From your sig it seems like you went to a square tire setup (17x9 with I guess a 255 tires) with a basic off the shelf lowering springs. Did you add a stiffer front sway bar or anything to compensate for the imbalance of tire grip? I imagine with that turbo, you stab at the throttle coming out of a turn you don't have enough rear tire for the power either.

I think you imbalanced your suspension. AP2's are pretty neutral handlers form the factory. I'd be willing to bet if you took off the wing and went back to a staggered tire setup you would have no problem keeping up with your pal.

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD