S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: S2000 or Sti?
S2000
95.12%
Sti
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

RWD vs AWD

Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD vs AWD

[attachment=15543:5502747578_48e946daab_z.jpg]

Hey guys I drive a turbocharged, mildly modded ap2 right now.
Today my friend and I went to local mountain road to have some fun.
My buddy just purchased 2011 evo and wanted to go check it out.
Here's what happened, I was leading the whole time but we tried something different near the end.
He was trying to leave me behind and I was trying to keep up. First corner was pretty wide high speed corner and by the end of the corner he left me in the dust.
I know I'm not a very fast driver but I don't consider myself "SLOW" driver. But my friend and I are on the same level.
I felt a strong gap between rwd and awd today.

Second part of the topic is I'll be getting a new car in about a month or two.
Personally I like the sti much more than evo because of the aesthetics. I know that many people say evo's a way better car but if I'm gonna get an awd its gonna be sti.
So should I try to drive fast with a sti or get another s2000 and learn to drive faster?
My friend mentioned he didn't have as much fun as he did with his miata. If I get the sti it'll be daily and mountain/track car.
I don't want to regret after purchasing the car but I really want to keep up with my buddy.

Thanks guys hope you found this interesting
and thanks in advance for your advise.
Attached Thumbnails RWD vs AWD-5502747578_48e946daab_z.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by yb4u
I wouldn't buy a car purely to keep up with a friend on mountain roads. Mountain runs are supposed to be fun, and like he said, he had more fun in his Miata. Great if he can get on the power earlier in the corner with his Evo, but I bet you're having more fun in your AP2. If you're set on getting a new car anyways, nothing wrong with getting the STi. I just wouldn't do it purely to satisfy your ego (no offense meant). If you bought an STi and your friend showed up in a GT-R and was pulling away through the corners again, would you still be happy to own the STi? Or would it suddenly be a pointless purchase for you?

The S2000 is a more difficult car to drive at the limit than the Evo (I'm guessing) so maybe some track days might help bridge the gap there?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 AM

There will always be a faster car. Everything being equal a awd will out handle a rwd in most instances. Get an evo. Sti's are harder and more expensive to mod and tend to be less reliable when high hp.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

He's just got the hole shot because he can step on the gas sooner and harder. The S is a lighter car by a long shot, great suspension geometry, and should out handle the evo in the corners.

lmao@coming on an S2000 board and asking between it and another car within the same price range. What'd you think we'd say?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you currently have a turbo/modded AP2, and you're also thinking about buying a different s2000 to learn to drive faster? I'm a bit confused. So are you selling your AP2 for another s2000, or are you buying a second one?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to regret after purchasing the car but I really want to keep up with my buddy.

I'm a strong believer that everyone do what they want, but if u wanna keep up with ur buddy, sti its the wrong way to go, its been proven how much faster and better or a car the.EVO is than sti. If u really wanna keep up and want the sti, well, that's up to u, just remember, every time he make any mod to his car u gonna spend more than him so u can keep up with his....
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 AM

I got rid of my first S to make $3000.. I ended up losing $4000 on the peice of shit i bought after, and spent even MORE on my second s2000.. Stick with the S and save work and money
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 AM

Do what I did and get both. I have a 2011 STI and couldn't be happier. The evo is a fine car, but I chose the subaru for the same reasons I chose my S. They are drivers cars. The less electro nannies i have telling me how much throttle, how much brake, how much i'm not ayerton senna the better. I wanted to drive MY cars..... As for you... Maybe the best thing to do is figure out what you want then do some research. Don't do what we say. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RWD vs AWD which way should I go?
Polling others isn't the way to find out. You need to determine your preference. This isn't a question with a one-size-fits-all answer. As always with these sorts of questions: test drive.

Originally Posted by charliec225
The S2000 is a more difficult car to drive at the limit than the Evo (I'm guessing) so maybe some track days might help bridge the gap there?
^ This
Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by charliec225
Originally Posted by yb4u' timestamp='1328002737' post='21368646
I wouldn't buy a car purely to keep up with a friend on mountain roads. Mountain runs are supposed to be fun, and like he said, he had more fun in his Miata. Great if he can get on the power earlier in the corner with his Evo, but I bet you're having more fun in your AP2. If you're set on getting a new car anyways, nothing wrong with getting the STi. I just wouldn't do it purely to satisfy your ego (no offense meant). If you bought an STi and your friend showed up in a GT-R and was pulling away through the corners again, would you still be happy to own the STi? Or would it suddenly be a pointless purchase for you?

Why not? His manhood has been stomped on and his little dick syndrome has taken a set back. The only solution is to go out and buy another car that will get his ego back up to where it's tolerable. Forget the STI. Go for a Turbo Carrera 4. That'll show his friend who's got the biggest one. It's the only true mature thing to do.

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD