S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rusty Rotors

Old 07-19-2004, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Rotors

I have MY 04. I am not happy with how the rotors are so rusty. I was going to purchase a set of Power Slot rotors that have a silver cadmium coating. A fellow at Hop Up Racing, that had a pretty good price for these ($356 shipped to Illinois) told me that these will still rust. I understand that the surface the pads contact will rust and be cleaned easily by the pads each time I drive the car. Will the areas untouched by the pads rust on these Power Slot rotors? I am wondering what others have done or ezxperienced. I am not looking to do some big brake upgrade. I just do not like looking at the rusty rotors. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:45 AM

Any rotors made of cast iron are going to rust. That's just what happens to iron. As long as the brakes work fine, don't worry about it.

If it really bothers you that much, take the rotors off the car. Then carefully mask off the friction area of each rotor and spray the center hub section with hi-temp engine paint or BBQ grill paint. Just DON'T get paint on the friction surface!

Andrew
Old 07-19-2004, 10:50 AM

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Siron,Jul 19 2004, 01:25 PM
I have MY 04. I am not happy with how the rotors are so rusty. I was going to purchase a set of Power Slot rotors that have a silver cadmium coating. A fellow at Hop Up Racing, that had a pretty good price for these ($356 shipped to Illinois) told me that these will still rust. I understand that the surface the pads contact will rust and be cleaned easily by the pads each time I drive the car. Will the areas untouched by the pads rust on these Power Slot rotors? I am wondering what others have done or ezxperienced. I am not looking to do some big brake upgrade. I just do not like looking at the rusty rotors. Any help is appreciated.
This is what I did to keep my rotors looking rust-free. You take it for what it's worth, however it worked great! for me. I removed the wheels, cleaned the rotors with spray type brake cleaner. Let dry well, about five minutes. I painted the exposed parts of the calipers, where the pads don't touch, with "HI-TEMP" out door barbeque paint! Even if you get some on the areas where the pads touch, it will come off immediately. While you are at-it, you should go ahead and paint your calipers!!
Old 07-19-2004, 10:55 AM

You can also try "Castblast" or "Alumablast" paint (both can be purchased through Eastwood). Both products are used by auto restorers. Castblast gives the metal a new cast iron appearance, and Alumablast gives an aluminum appearance. I've used the Castblast on the rear brake drums of my 66 mustang, and three years later, no rust and they look brand new.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine are cad plated, from spugen... and about two years old.
still no rust.
maybe if they get wet and stay wet for a long time i might see some rust- but that wont happen on my car.
anyway, that was the main complaint i had with the car (rusty rotors) so i went cad and have been happy ever since!

Old 07-19-2004, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The people on this forum are so helpful. Thanks.