S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rust spots on GPW !

Old 04-12-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust spots on GPW !

are they rust spots?? or wut ? they are very little, like a pin point, and some of them, right after u wash the car, it will go away simply by scrathing it by ur nails......

never happened to me on my other cars....only on MY03 GPW, and i noticed other GPW S2k have those "rust spots" too...........

i left my car at the body shop for 3 days, went to pick it up just after work tonite, and they were still there ( lots are gone, but still......)
they said they power polished it, and put paint sealant or sth.............i could tell they really did that, cuz my car looks so shinny and smooth....but those stupid "rust" spots is killing me !~!~!~
Old 04-12-2006, 04:24 PM

BTW, there are everywhere....fenders, doors, mirrors and even bumper!~!~!~!~
Old 04-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Sounds like paint overspray from another car to me. They were probably painting someone's car and the overspray floated and landed on yours. My impression, especially since you can rub it off with a fingernail.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the rust spots on bare metal? If they're not (IE: if they are on the white paint), its commonly referred to as "rail dust" - you should be using a high quality clay bar and lubricant to remove contaminants like this from your paint surface.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM

yeah, i had those spots too on my '06. only (at least that i can see) on the top part of my back bumper.

just got some clay w/ lubricant(polish) and went to town. took about 15-20 min with a grape size of clay.

head on over to the wash and wax forum here to get aquainted on how to use the stuff; its a very valuable forum.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:13 PM

My question for you is, where do you live? Are you near any industrial facilities? Do you live in a heavily wooded area? I've always found little dark spots on my car. I live in a very industrial area. Lots of oil refineries and chemical plants. But most of what I've found on my cars is mainly bug poop.

If you can scratch if off with your finger nail and still have good clean paint there, it's not rust. No offense, but I'd bet you have gotten them on your other cars from time to time, you simply didn't notice. GPW is a very bright white paint and it really "shows" stuff like this. As I said, if the paint is still there underneath the area after you scratch it off with your fingernail, it's not rust and I wouldn't worry about it!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Apr 12 2006, 07:13 PM
My question for you is, where do you live? Are you near any industrial facilities?
He lives in Edmonton, AB. The entire city is an industrial facility
Old 04-12-2006, 05:28 PM

better than Red Deer, went down there couple months ago, the whole city is dead, got nth.......hahah........j/k

yeah, i might try to use a clay bar to clean those next time, clearly those are on an painted surface only..........

i guess that's wut happens when u drive a BEAUTIFUL GPW S2K !~!~
Old 04-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got 2 words for you..........

CLAY BAR!
Old 04-12-2006, 07:43 PM
WPS

sap?
i tell ya white is just as bad as black in maintenance, from experience

Quick Reply: Rust spots on GPW !