S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Run Test/Straight Pipe with no CEL

Old 03-31-2002, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Test/Straight Pipe with no CEL

I found a way to run a test pipe without having the check engine light come on. A friend and I built a custom test pipe for my S2K. We welded 2 sensor mounts on top of each other for the 02? sensor. So basically, instead of the sensor sitting inside the pipe, it is now sitting a couple of millimeters away from the flow of the exhaust. I guess this gives it less of a reading, because I've been running the test pipe for a couple of days now, and still no CEL. If you purchased or have a test pipe, but have the CEL coming on, maybe you guys should try doing this. Weld another sensor mount on top of the existing one. What do you guys think?
Old 03-31-2002, 10:57 PM

Great idea, but let us know if the CEL comes on within a week or two...I used to run my Spoon test pipe and the CEL didn't come on till 2-3 days after so it does take time before it comes on...

Another idea is to 'cap' the O2 sensor -- basically build a house for it that covers it when it goes back in the test pipe...what do you think?
Old 03-31-2002, 11:16 PM

anyone ever think about the Ozone Layer? j/k hahaha
Old 04-01-2002, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by Shamu
Great idea, but let us know if the CEL comes on within a week or two...I used to run my Spoon test pipe and the CEL didn't come on till 2-3 days after so it does take time before it comes on...

Another idea is to 'cap' the O2 sensor -- basically build a house for it that covers it when it goes back in the test pipe...what do you think?
Yeah... I'll definitely let you know. I've been driving around about a week now with the test pipe, and no CEL yet. And a couple of days ago, I got a SC put in. I'll let you know again in a week if the CEL is on.

Hmm... the cap sounds interesting. Maybe if you add 2 sensor mounts AND a cap for the sensor, it'll improve your chances of the CEL not coming on... If the CEL comes on for me later, I'll give your suggestoin a try along with mine.

Does the cap have any holes in it? Just wondering, if the sensor can't read anything, won't the CEL come on?
Old 04-01-2002, 06:45 AM

how much of a sound increase with the straight pipe?
Old 04-01-2002, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by S2K_LA
how much of a sound increase with the straight pipe?
Not that much more. I already had a loud exhaust, the Tanabe RM, so I couldn't tell that much of a difference. It just sounds more aggresive, and if anything, the tone is a bit louder as well.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:10 AM

go to www.importparts.com and get a o2 sensor simulator. if prevents obd2 equiped vehicles from throwing cel's. it tricks the o2 sensor into thinking that there is a cat.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bayarea408
[B]anyone ever think about the Ozone Layer?
Old 04-01-2002, 01:13 PM

Any pictures? I would like to do this, who makes a test pipe?

Thanks,
Allen
Old 06-14-2002, 10:10 PM

how much of a performance difference could you feel now with a straight pipe?? im assuming you lost quite a bit of low end also, right??

Quick Reply: Run Test/Straight Pipe with no CEL