S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RPM's Dropping when just completed a stop

Old 09-23-2002, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me too....very annoying...it never actually stalls, but it gets awfully close. I used to think it was bad gas, but now i don't know.

Matt
Old 09-23-2002, 02:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the A/C on at the time?
Old 09-23-2002, 03:10 PM

No, my A/C is never on because I am always driving with the top down.

Nix
Old 09-23-2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Nixlimited
No, my A/C is never on because I am always driving with the top down.

Nix
Ditto
Old 09-23-2002, 03:20 PM

Wouldn't having the A/C on actually prevent stalling or the rpm drop you guys are experiencing? I'm not sure if this is correct but doesn't the A/C put a load on the engine which actually semi prevents it from stalling?
Old 09-23-2002, 04:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Stale_Hotdog
Wouldn't having the A/C on actually prevent stalling or the rpm drop you guys are experiencing? I'm not sure if this is correct but doesn't the A/C put a load on the engine which actually semi prevents it from stalling?
Mine has been known to "almost" stall BUT ONLY when the A/C was on. The extra load does the opposite of what you just stated and causes "my" car to not be able to "catch" itself in time to prevent it from stumbling. It does this about 3-4 times during the first drive of the season that I use the A/C and then it "learns" to more quickly compensate for the impending dip in rpm below idle and no longer does it for the rest of the summer, assuming that I continue to use the A/C on a regular basis.
The stumbling that you guys are reporting here is obviously not related to the A/C. Never-the-less, if you let it stumble a few times, does it eventually "learn" to compensate? If not, it might be time to get a CAI since you might be affected by your seasonal hot temps OR you might consider doing the MAP sensor "WACK"!
Sorry I can't be of more help.
ps. You might also try to adjust the throttle cable to take up some of the slack that may have occurred over time. I think this procedure is written up somewhere in the library (at least, it used to be).
Old 09-23-2002, 08:55 PM

Damn, is this post timely!!! Tonight my rpm's dropped at a light, and KEPT DROPPING! The car stalled at a light and I didn't even try to go (the clutch was still in)! After that it took about a minute to fire it back up! Sounds like a fuel problem, but I had half a tank, the A/C was off, it was 80 degrees, and I was on flat road. What gives?

Are all these other problems with 2002's?

-Spoon
Old 09-23-2002, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does it. My A/C is NEVER on. Did it pre-PRM intake. Still does it after. Vacuum pressire issue?
Old 09-24-2002, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by StrangeDaze
I have a 2002 and I get this as well. I haven't nailed it down to any specific circumstances, although someone told me that it was heat related and that their comptech intake made it go away.

Not ture with me. I installed the Comptech CAI and it is still there. Only happens once with my car, right after the 3 bar comes on in the warm up process. After that, no worries.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hondafan
[B]

Not ture with me.

Quick Reply: RPM's Dropping when just completed a stop