S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rookie Needs Help Please

Old 12-05-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

It's called muscle memory. It's what makes Michael Jordan's jump shots go it. It's what makes Tiger Woods ball go far. It's what makes Bruce Lee kick so accurately and quickly. It's what makes you shift so perfectly.

Practice, and it'll become part of your legs muscle memory.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving manual/stick-shifts for 15 years on and off and if it's any consolation, I still find pulling off (1st) in the S a little tough. It seems to require a little more gas. I'm not sure if that's due a 'slipping clutch' or just an S idiosyncrasy?
Anyhows, all the best son. Practice, practice n practice and you'll be savouring one of the best shifting cars in the business.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:57 PM

I agree the S is not the easiest stick I've ever driven, and it has been hard trying to teach my girl friend who does not have manual experience how to drive it. There are some good tips from the other guys on here (and some that I will pass along to my girl friend the next time we go to drive in a parking lot).
Old 12-05-2003, 10:00 PM

thanks again for all the help guys, i really appreciate and love the community!!! I went out and i found the engagement point which was not my old one but just a lil push in more. i let it go and hold that point and hit the gas(about 1-2 seconds for whole process) but i still have a slight problem releasing the clutch after hitting the gas (pratice makes perfect so ill be training.) My shifting now is well sort of better. I shift still usually at 3.5k but i do it quick which is the best results for me but i notice sometime it would feel like after i put it in gear and gas i would feel a boost like a lil leap forward. is that normal or am i just gassing to fast or what not?
Old 12-06-2003, 02:25 AM

Old 12-06-2003, 04:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a great Dad;my dad taught me to drive a manual in his 65 Ford 3/4T 6cyl truck with a 3sp on the column.I didn't really worry about looking foolish to anyone because he did this on Grampa's farm.
Of course modulation and co-ordination of clutch feathering and accelerator with practice over time will give you the best results.

I've been driving since 1970 and the 1st time I drove my new S,I felt a little apprehensive too; so just have some patience. Soon it will be second nature.

Enjoy !!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Banned

AYeung, you may also try shifting at a higher rpm. When you do this, it takes a bit longer for the engine revs to come down to match for the next gear. This allows you to shift a bit slower and a bit more smoothly. Keep practicing and remember one thing. This is a high performance car. When you get to the point that you think you have it mastered, DO NOT GET COCKY! If you do, this car will get away from you.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought my '04 S2000 and it has been 17 years since I have driven a stick shift car (although that is what I learned to drive on) I remember going through the learning process you are going through now and there is even a learning curve for me in this new car, but it is coming back to me and I am almost as good with it as I was with my first car. I agree with the above posters ....practice makes perfect....and oh what fun to practice with this car....congratulations on your new car....and yes budget for a replacement clutch as you will probably prematurely wear out your first clutch in the learning process..but once you have it down you will get a lot longer life from your 2nd and successive clutches.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:05 PM

Well after posting this thread a month or so ago there are some questions i hope can get answered so i edited my first post. This post is just to get it seen and answered and put back to the top of the threads for better chances of someone posting a reply. Thanks
Old 01-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this......takes some practice....but will get you through your problem.

*Note: this is for PRACTICE....do NOT always drive like this.

Find a long, empty straight (side street block is fine)

1. Put the car into first, and begin moving.

2. When the clutch is fully engaged, drive to about 4000rpm in 1st.

3. KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE GAS....but dont let the rpms go past 4000 or under it....hold it at 4000.

4. Disengage the clutch, and shift to second (remember, keep it at 4000)

5. Slowly begin releasing the clutch and keep the rpms about 3500-4000.

This should result in a buttery 1-2 shift. Keep practicing, until you can do the whole routine without holding the throttle at 4000.

KEEP ON TRYING, and you will succeed!!!

Quick Reply: Rookie Needs Help Please