S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rookie Needs Help Please

Old 12-04-2003, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well guys its been a month or so now and i would say im doin ok. I practiced the steps NFRs2000NYC posted and it was of much help, thanks. I do still have some questions that i wanted to ask when shifting still to 2nd gear....I pmed xviper and he told me that when shifting i should wait to the approximate rpm to drop then gas, i have been doin this and the results are very smooth but again its like im goin too slow cuz im waiting a second for it to drop then hitting the gas and i feel like i should gas rite after i shift to keep up with the speed. On the other hand if i tried to shift like i would shift in other gears it would be jerky and why is this happening, y is this only happening when shifting in 2nd gear, i dont even have to wait for the rpm to drop in other gears and it would be smooth ( shift also at 3.5k). In additon to that i also tried shifting at 4k from 1st to 2nd and the results were pretty good but everytime i do i feel somewhat a very slight notchyness (not as smooth if i wait for rpm to drop)and it feels like im pushing the car everytime i drive which im not to comfortable with. My 2nd question is when shifting to 2nd gear do you wait for the rpm to drop then gas??? And what rpm do u shift to 2nd gear and how do you do it??? Much thanks and appreciation
Old 12-04-2003, 09:09 PM

It sounds like you have the mechanics down right. Unfortunately, even if someone were driving with you, this would probably be as far as their training can take you. It is now up to you to practice until you can get the timing down right. Just keep practicing, you can do it.

I've only been driving manual transmission cars for about 3 years now, and I can now drive better than my brother whose been driving them for 8+ years. Just takes practice. You have already accomplished the hard part though!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:26 PM

Well, unfortunately you will need to buy a new clutch in your future. This is comon for those learning stick. I learned how to drive on stick so it helped me, and I ahvent owned an auto in 4 years. All I can say is rev match.

Go to an empty parking lot and just practice. I cant even imagine you driving in the bay with the S...expecially since it's stick in the hills!!! Oie, that's one place that eats clutches for lunch!!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:30 PM

can u tell me how u start off and shift??? thanks again
Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 PM

Can you say troll?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It just takes practice, but I'd go rent a car, spend 8 hrs on it, and you'll be fine. Practice on a large empty parking lot. Good luck man!! and WELCOME TO S2KI.com!!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:34 PM

Can you please explain to me why you assume he's a troll?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Dakota
Can you say troll?
New kid on the block, lets make a good impression on him and help him out. Everyone was in that position, one time or another.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:37 PM

Now, back to the topic. When starting off, it's more of feel hten anything. When you feel the car start to lose it's neutral feel and it starts grabbing (when releasing the clutch slowly) then you give it a bit more gas to start the car moving. 1st gear is always the hardest, but you can even take off on a flat serface even if you dont use the gas. Just release the clutch pedal slow.

It does take a bit to get used to, but like BC said, get a rental and beat on that....not your S
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dakota
Can you say troll?

Can you say "a$$hole?????" Give him a break, you are exactly the kind of person that ruins the forum experience. You dont like the post, dont read it.

Back on topic. When I got my s2000, I didnt know how to drive stick. I knew the physics of it, but didnt actually "know" how to drive properly. The s2000 clutch/tranny is also unlike 99% of other stick cars (learning wise)....ie...clutch grabbing is within 1.5 inches, light flywheel, etc.....

You will get it no problem. First....you must learn the "feel" of the clutch. Go to a flat parking lot,

Lesson 1.

a)Put down the parking brake, make sure your car doesnt roll. (car in neutral)

b)Push the clutch in, and slide into 1st. (leave the clutch DISengaged)

c)SLOWLY begin releasing the clutch. You will feel the car start to pull forward.
Keep going until the clutch is all the way out. On a flat surface, the car will crawl at 3mph.

Lesson 2.

Feathering, the essense of all stick driving..

repeat steps a & b.

Slowly release the clutch...as you feel the car starting to roll, start to give a little gas(equal pressure as you are releasing the clutch) ..keep going until the clutch is fully engaged. If done right, your car will not jerk/bog, and thus you have passed lesson 2.

Lesson 3

Shifting.....finally, after you get the first 2 down, this is much easier. The s2000 likes to be shifted at about 4000 rpm.....lets take that you are in first.
Bring it up to about 4000, push the clutch in, shift to second, and slowly (about 2 seconds for practice) let go of the clutch. DO NOT TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF COMPLETELY. That will pop the clutch, and you are not at that level yet. While you are slowly taking/releasing the clutch, slightly give the car gas. If done right, your car will smoothly go into the next gear. Do not take too long (ie 10 seconds) to let go of the clutch, or you will "ride it" and smell up the block.

This is pretty much it, its how I learned, and I drive well now. I stalled over 22 times on the first day of my s2000 ownership, and now I have perfect shifts 98% of the time (nobody is perfect)

Good luck, let us know if you need more help, and if anyone has something helpful to add, please do so. If I stated something wrong, please correct me.
Happy

Quick Reply: Rookie Needs Help Please