S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

roof latche question

Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default roof latche question

The latches to hold the top closed have buttons on them to hold them shut when openning the roof. That is what they are for correct? Then when closing you puch the button to relase the latch.

But when the top is up and the latches are in place should the latches snap so the button needs pressed again or no?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Those buttons should be spring loaded and always be "unsqeezed" at rest.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, apparently you understood the question campbuds asked. So can you please translate it into English for me because I didn't understand what s/he was asking.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Oct 6 2005, 10:44 AM
Dave, apparently you understood the question campbuds asked. So can you please translate it into English for me because I didn't understand what s/he was asking.
I "think" I understood, but here goes ........................................

I believe he may have a front latch assembly (on the top) that has a release button that does not pop back out after you let it go. Perhaps the spring inside has broken or has dislodged. You know how you must squeeze to push the button in so that the latch can be pulled down? If the button stays in, the latch won't click when folded to the "locked" position and thus will just unlatch again.

Boy, after reading my own description, it looks like gibberish, too.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 AM

Yeah... it is a little difficult to describe. But you did get at what I was asking.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:13 AM

Ok... I took the latches off the casr to inspect them... but it doesn't help much not knowing what they are supposed to look like when they work properly.

can someone help me out here? maybe remove theirs briefly and take a picture to post of the inside clipping mechanism? It is only held in by 2 screws. Very easy to remove.

nothing appears to be broken. so i am kind of at a loss without seeing one that works properly
Old 10-06-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Dave, for the translation.

campbuds, why don't you just take it in to a Honda dealer to have them look at it? If it is under warranty, they will replace it for free. If not, I am sure they will recommend that you replace the latch, and that may cost some dollars. You can check into the price for the latches (I don't know if they come individually or in pairs only) on the internet. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:48 AM

Well unfortunately the car is out of warranty.

But it appears that something is missing that holds tension on the spring in the latch that holds it shut when the top is down. But it also seems that those buttons serve no purpose when the top is up and the latches are engaged.

For the time being I put something in there to keep tension on the springs.

I am moving tomorrow and don't have time to pay too much attention to my new car
Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 PM

So you say BOTH of yours are not working right? Very odd. Those buttons are like locks - at rest, in the out position = locked --- stuck in the "depressed" position = unlocked.
FYI: Those latch assemblies cost over 100 bucks each.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:09 PM

Basically when I get to look at another S latch I will know what I am supposed to know about it.

I need to either see a picture and/or get to see another operate.

Quick Reply: roof latche question