S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Roll-hoop cover split?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll-hoop cover split?

Anyone ever noticed if the plastic cover for the roll hoop of their car is split?

The cover is 2 pieces -- 1 front and 1 back. Today I noticed that the 2 pieces (for both hoops) dont sit flush with each other... they gap out a MM as if someone tried to pry them out -- not too terrible, but a little unsightly

i tried to press them back together, hoping they were attached by clips or snaps or some sort, but they spring back out.

has this occured to anyone else? should i just mega-glue them back in place?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 PM

They are glued and are not made to be seperated. Glue would be the best bet that and some C Clamps should do the trick
Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM

you could try to glue it, but as neveronlines2k said, theyre not made to come apart. theyre plastic welded to hold it together n if separated then your pretty much screwed. i tried to glue mine bakc together n held it together with zipties for a couple hours n still didnt work GL though
Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IlleztImportz,Jan 5 2008, 03:18 PM
you could try to glue it, but as neveronlines2k said, theyre not made to come apart. theyre plastic welded to hold it together n if separated then your pretty much screwed. i tried to glue mine bakc together n held it together with zipties for a couple hours n still didnt work GL though
Certain 2-part epoxies have been reported to work. Most glues won't.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had a new soft top fitted?

The dealer should loosen or remove the 16 bolts that fix the roll hoops so they can be moved out of the way when a new soft top is fitted but what they often do is split the roll hoops as it saves time

The roll hoops are welded together with a hot wire.
They are not designed to be split.

They did this to my car - it is back at the dealers having new roll hoops fitted right now.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shopman,Jan 5 2008, 05:57 PM
Have you had a new soft top fitted?

The dealer should loosen or remove the 16 bolts that fix the roll hoops so they can be moved out of the way when a new soft top is fitted but what they often do is split the roll hoops as it saves time

The roll hoops are welded together with a hot wire.
They are not designed to be split.

They did this to my car - it is back at the dealers having new roll hoops fitted right now.
i suspected this when i saw it. yeah, i had a new top installed under warranty when the old one developed a hole.

!!!!!!!!

thanks all
Old 01-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by smurf2k,Jan 5 2008, 04:07 PM
i suspected this when i saw it. yeah, i had a new top installed under warranty when the old one developed a hole.

!!!!!!!!

thanks all
Back to the dealer then.

The solution to this is for the dealer to buy and install two new roll hoops. The hoops come with the covers factory heat-welded in place.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:10 PM

^ I agree and if you try to glue it test the epoxy/Glue some can discolor plastics
Old 01-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,Jan 5 2008, 05:10 PM
^ I agree and if you try to glue it test the epoxy/Glue some can discolor plastics
Absolutely don't try to glue it. That will only give the dealer a chance to claim it was your fault.

Be polite about it, but go directly to the service manager. Tell him that his guys made a mistake, and that it was understandable but their attempt to fix it isn't working. The service manual procedure is to remove the hoops without separating the covers, and they should have followed the procedure.

Be nice, but tell him you expect a new set of hoops with factory-welded covers.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jan 5 2008, 04:11 PM
Back to the dealer then.

The solution to this is for the dealer to buy and install two new roll hoops. The hoops come with the covers factory heat-welded in place.
IF YOU CAN KEEP THE ROLL HOOPS FROM THE DEALER I WOULD LIKE TO MAYBE BUY THEM FOR A CHEAP PRICE LETME KNOW

Quick Reply: Roll-hoop cover split?