S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A rock hit my windshield today...

Old 01-31-2001, 11:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I was on my way to work this morning and I heard a small rock hit my windshield, it was pretty loud. Right after I heard it I looked and saw a couple of marks on my windshield hoping that they were just dirt. the big one was dirt and the small one was a chip in the windshield. It really sucks. It's big enough to annoy me, but small enough so it's not too noticeable. Good thing it's on the passenger side otherwise it would really piss me off. Does anyone know how much it would be to have it filled and where a good place to do it is?

David
Old 01-31-2001, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your insurance. Many will cover without any out of pocket expense. In fact, I do not even pay for a complete replacement.
Old 01-31-2001, 12:10 PM

David, I caught a rock during the SoCal S2000 Owners Meet in July last year. It left a starburst pretty much in my line of vision on the left side. I contacted my insurance company (Mercury) hoping that they would pay for an epoxy patch repair. They said that it couldn't be fixed "if it was in the swept area of the windshield", which is pretty much most of our windshields so they offered to replace it.

I asked them who would do the work and they gave me a phone number to call. I was concerned about getting "factory glass" with the Honda logo on it like the stock windshield. This company said they get the same glass from PPG, but it wouldn't have the Honda logo on it. I then called back my insurance company and explained about the limited production aspect of our cars and my desire to keep it as stock as possible. They said that I could get it fixed anywhere I want, so I took it to my dealer (Pacific Honda) and they ordered a new windshield from Honda Parts and then farmed out the installation to a local glass company.

I think that the cost of the windshield was $650 plus labor, my cost was my deductible of $250. They did an excellent job, you can't tell that it was replaced.
Old 01-31-2001, 12:36 PM

i had a rock chip filled in a couple of months ago and had it filled in for free with my insurance. they weren't able to fully restore the winshield completely. there's still about a 2mm "dot" that the repair place said wouldn't enlarge. if i had to do it over, i'd get the whole winshield replaced. the "dot" bugs me every once in a while but i got used to it.
Old 01-31-2001, 01:09 PM

Tom, thanks for the info. The chip is actually pretty small so I don't think it's worth replacing the whole windshield. I think I just need a very small amount of that glass-like material to fill it with to make the chip not look grayish because of the light refraction. I think then you probably won't even see it at all if you tried to look for it.

David
Old 01-31-2001, 02:15 PM

When I got my Prelude windshield replaced some years ago, I was offered plain glass or glass with a tinted strip across the top for a few bucks more. I got the tinted version and I thought it looked great. Helped differentiate my car from all the other Preludes out there. If I had to replace my Stooks windshield, I would look for the same thing.
Old 01-31-2001, 02:40 PM

Yeah, my old '87 integra (i know, i know...) was the victim of a baseball sized rock attack in Sacramento, I went to an auto glass place and asked them if they would waive the deductable. Basically, if you have a $100 deductable, they will charge you insurance company an extra 100 for the windshield, a fairly common practice. But I think it was a good point to get a Honda window for resale reasons, and I don't know if they would waive it for that...?
Old 01-31-2001, 02:44 PM

almilli,

Tonight when you get home, put a peice of scotch tape over the chip (on the outside).

The less moisture that gets in those cracks, the more clear the windshield will look when they fill it.
Old 01-31-2001, 02:57 PM

Also, leave your defroster off.
Old 01-31-2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by JPit
Also, leave your defroster off.
thanks, that won't be tough to do here in San Diego. :-)

Quick Reply: A rock hit my windshield today...