S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rock Cracked Windshield

Old 05-03-2002, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Cracked Windshield

I was coming home from work yesterday when I saw a black speck (almost in slow motion) approach and get bigger. Then WHAM it contacted the drivers side upper conner of the windshield and put about a 1 inch vertical crack in it. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I was only going about 60mph and this rock about the size of a shelled peanut cracked my windshield. Luckly my insurance has free glass repair. I hope it works and I won't have to replace it. (prayin to the glass gods that it works)
Old 05-03-2002, 08:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. . .it sucks! Mine happened last week! Here's a pic. I have it scheduled to be replaced next week. Luckily, I have ZERO deductible on my insurance so it's not going to cost me anything more than sheer inconvenience! Replacement cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $300+!

Old 05-03-2002, 09:19 PM

i got a nice little rock to the glass about 3 mos after i got my baby...
i learned several things:

-if you get glass repari done before the chink turns into a crack, you'll never remeber you had a rock hit you until you're cleaning the glass.

-most insurance companies have a small claim ammendment in your contract that says if a claim is under $xx.xx, they will pay w/o deductible.

I had mine patched immediately and really never notice it until i've broken out the Stoner Glass Cleaner to help wiht the bug guts and even then its is hardly noticable.

its been over 9 mos since the patch and i've driven the hell out of it in those nine months and its never changed a bit.

just my dos pesos...
Old 05-05-2002, 06:57 AM

I picked my brand new S up on April 4th (this year).

On April 6th, I went 200 miles and back to visit some family (nice way to do the break in ). At about half way, I was only doing around 60mph and kept my distance to other cars, a very small black stone hit my windscreen. Result: a crack about 10" long .

On April 10th, I was going to work (again around 60mph and keeping my distance) when suddenly: aaaargh, another one !

I don't even want to think about how I would have freaked out if I had had my windscreen replaced before that 2nd crack.

Now, having had the replacement done yesterday, those idiots didn't attach the mirror propperly and now it's bouncing around all the time.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:24 PM

This is a frequent problem and I'm wondering if the s2k glass is manufactured correctly.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:38 PM

.7 (yes point seven miles) after purchase I had a rock put a half-dollar sized crescent moon crack in my windshield. 17000 miles later it's still there and hasn't grown. I keep it because, it makes for an entertaining story filled with plenty of explectives.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:40 AM

I've been to lazy to replace my windsheild. I have two cracks, only one has split. On the one that split, the rock hit the very end of the windshield. So if it would have gone half a inch over to the right, it would have just hit the windsheild tape on the car. What sucks about the crack is that I didn't know about it until it started to split.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Former Moderator

On the way to drop off my car to get the collision damage fixed I got a rock chip that turned into a foot long crack by the time I got to the insurance company. This by the way is my second windshield. I'll now have a 3rd windshield. Something is wrong with this windshield design
Old 05-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Doc

I don't think it is a problem with the windshield glass...

the car is low profile and the windshield is at a more acute angle on our cars than the hood making it prone to impact from objects..

i have actually watched objects come at the front of the car, ride up the airflow along the hood and then SMACK!!! hit the windshield hard...it's just the inherent shape of the vehicle that allows the windshield to be damaged easier than cars that ride higher with more angled windshields..

my first crack after about a bazillion pits came when my car was only 3 months old...

JJ
Old 05-06-2002, 10:32 AM

I got the first chink in mine early last summer, when I had about 1,000 miles in. It was right in the middle of the driver's side. In fact, the pebble would have probably hit me right in the nose if it wasn't for the windshield (did I ever mention that I traded in my Harley to buy the S2000?). Depending on the size of your monitor, the chink was exactly this big:

When I brought it in for inspection the next week, they wouldn't give me a sticker because of the window ding!

So I went home and killed a big fat bug and smeared it over the top of the chink, then went to another garage and got inspected, no problem.

The chink hasn't gotten any bigger since, but I'll probably get it repaired because it's starting to make me cross-eyed.

Quick Reply: Rock Cracked Windshield