S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RM Intakes (Cold Air) Impressions!

Old 12-20-2000, 08:27 AM
JRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really intrested in purchasing an RM cold air intake. Before I make my final decision I like some input from those that are currently running the intake. What type of performance increase? Noise vs stock? Chances of getting water in the internals of the motor?

It looks well built from the pictures!

Thanks
Old 12-20-2000, 09:00 AM

some people's had good experiences with it, some people have not. some say it sucks hot air, some say it doesn't. it really depends on who you ask.
Old 12-20-2000, 09:05 AM

I say it sucks in quite a bit of hot air also.
Old 12-20-2000, 10:04 AM

if i were you i would leave the stock airbox on. CAI's are usually more trouble than they are worth.
Old 12-20-2000, 10:08 AM
Bieg

It has been the general consensus around here that the stock airbox is an excellent design and unless you want to cut up your hood and spend an additional $1500 for the Mugen, just changing the air filter to a K&N (or other) less restrictive airfilter will give the best performance.
Old 12-20-2000, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that it sucks...hot air, that is. I think the RM intake is a step backwards in performance. I found the "extension" past the filter is especially curious...as vacuum will suck air in at the point of least resistance. If you want the sound, go for it, but don't expect ANY kind of performance gains, especially on hot days.

The stock airbox does a pretty good job...

MG Racing is developing one that I will be prototyping. I would wait for that one...I think the RM "cold" air intake is a waste of money...especially if you are expecting some kind of performance gain. As I said, if you just want the sound, go for it...that's about all this intake will provide you!

Old 12-20-2000, 12:44 PM
JRM

Seems like the nays have it so far. I been running a Comptech Filter and it does do a good job. I think maybe you misunderstood about the sound. I don't want the extra resonance. I think I'll have to opt out on this one and stay with the Comptech Filter. I appreciate the info.

Old 12-20-2000, 02:39 PM

do you think you can post a pic of the comptech filter? I went to their site and checked it out but they don't have a pic..from what i understand this is a drop in filter right?..but it also says it comes with something else..some smooth lalala..i don't quite remember..if you can't see anything external don't worry about it..thx
Old 12-20-2000, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by h2000:
do you think you can post a pic of the comptech filter? I went to their site and checked it out but they don't have a pic..from what i understand this is a drop in filter right?..but it also says it comes with something else..some smooth lalala..i don't quite remember..if you can't see anything external don't worry about it..thx
you may also wanna check on the JR filters:

Old 12-21-2000, 05:45 AM
JRM

Originally posted by h2000:
Well, I can't say for definate but I'll try. Look for it in a diffrent post. It's a very good fit and the flang is smooth. It's an oiled foam.

Also, the filter has a support on the end of that fits the support dowel in the stock airbox. I really like this feature. It supports itself like the stock filter without the chance of it vibrating off the stock air intake tube. Really great design. I can tell you I have noticed a little better throttle response.

I've utilized Comptech products for about 5 years now. From my ITR to the S2000. I especially like the great customer service that I have received from them. Product knowledge is absolutely great. Their products are always superbly designed and fit without alteration. The best that I've found! I'd reccommend the filter to anyone! It's well worth the expense.

Quick Reply: RM Intakes (Cold Air) Impressions!