S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ridiculous S2000 values.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridiculous S2000 values.

Hi all - been a loooooong while since I've been active on the forums here, namely because I haven't driven the car much in the past 4-5 years. I'm sure you came here ready to flame, but half of the point of the title was to get your attention...

So in the past couple years I moved to D.C. metro where driving is an absolute nightmare, consequently I sold my beloved e46 M3 prior to moving. I've just relocated back to Philadelphia and am in search of a new car which is what brought me to this post. I was 'toying' around with the idea of getting another e46 because I absolutely love those cars but to be honest the main thing that drives me away from them is the overall market. The asking prices have just gotten out of hand in my opinion. Even being only a few years removed from my last e46 purchase the values have seem to gone up on cars with even higher mileage... I know that KBB , Nada, Auction and other estimates can be off with regards to 'specialty' cars but there is NO way I'm paying 25k for a 10 year old BMW with 90k miles... end of M3 rant

... which brings me to s2000s

After concluding that I had no interest in dealing with the m3 owners any longer I considered possibly getting into another s2000. One that I would actually drive this time around. Let me preface by letting you know that I currently own a MY07 LBP that has been sitting in my garage since I bought it new in 2007. It has 16k miles with minimal modification including header back invidia, espelir springs, regamasters (still own mint AP2v2) , and full audio/video setup. At this point I don't want to buy another garage queen so I've been looking at higher mileage examples, preferably 60-70k plus. I'm trying to wrap my head around how asking prices for these cars are floating around 25k, even for early models. I've seen MY04's with 40k miles going for 25k, I've seen MY07's with 90k going for 25k. Mind you these cars are NOT combined with countless JDM or aftermarket components. Okay Okay so maybe I've seen a few that are fairly priced but you've got to admit, there are a ton out there shooting for the moon. End of s2000 value rant.

I feel bad for ranting on about misaligned values for cars that i"ve been interested in pursuing so let's make this thread constructive: Can the community out there help me place a 'fair' value on my garage queen? I don't need to sell it at the moment, or in the near future. But as an asset simply satisfying space in my garage it'd be nice to know what its actually worth these days? To provide the best detail on the car: the tires have only 7k miles, the springs have only been on for about 8k miles and the sound system consists of (MB quartz QLine speakers, 13'' JL W3 in custom enclosure [removable], JVC KDNX navigation, and two 7' television monitors [each sun visor] powered by RF 400/4 amp. all audio components are easily removable as I was careful to make sure nothing was done to permanently affect the car should I need to sell it in stock form out of emergency. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the car to add but hopefully my description has given everyone a pretty solid foundation for what the car looks like.

Also, recommendations? Do you guys think I should keep it or is it prime time to unload? The car is paid off and insurance in minimal as its classified as 'collectors'.

Thanks! Again sorry for the rant.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:29 AM

I would estimate that its worth 25k - 28k. I agree the market is overpriced.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hicktown s2k
I would estimate that its worth 25k - 28k. I agree the market is overpriced.
Wow, thanks

Definitely never anticipated it having that type of value a couple years ago. At best I thought I might get 20k out of it when it came time to sell.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 AM

You should be able to get an s2000 with 60-70k plus for under 20 grand
Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An 07 S2000 with tasteful mods like yours and only 16K miles could likely easily go for 25K+.

Edit:

Originally Posted by mydlay
You should be able to get an s2000 with 60-70k plus for under 20 grand
For what it's worth, I got my MY01 completely stock with NO problems and 58K miles for $14K flat. Couldn't be happier
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM

I assumed he would be looking for an ap2
Old 06-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mydlay
I assumed he would be looking for an ap2
I mainly was.

Maybe its the region that I live in or perhaps I was looking in the wrong places. I guess I should just keep my eye out...
Old 06-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Why not drive the one you have? Because it has springs and wheels? Who cares. Drive the damn thing
Old 06-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TommySalami
Why not drive the one you have? Because it has springs and wheels? Who cares. Drive the damn thing
X2
Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM

I can't blame the man for having a garage queen. It has hard to keep a car looking great if you drive it all the time.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous S2000 values.