S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rev limiter and blown engines?

Old 06-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 98_1LE
But the SMG is not really a manual transmission.

Yes it is actually. It's made by Getrag.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have this recurring habit of hitting the rev-limiter in 4th gear at 117mph. i guess whenever i travel at such high velocity, i have the habit of constantly scanning around my mirrors to look for highway patrols and sometime forget to pay attention to the tach. all the instances this happened i was traveling on the lower deck of the bay bridge late at night. so for those who live in the SF bay area, if and when you seen a sebring silver s2k traveling at 120mph on the lower deck of the bay bridge at 1 or 2 in the morning...that will most likely be ME!!
Old 06-24-2003, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is actually. It's made by Getrag.
For the purposes of this arguement, I guess it is better to say that the generalizations made earlier about manual gearboxes are true for all manual gear boxes with a manually controlled clutch.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Benjamin

For the purposes of this arguement, I guess it is better to say that the generalizations made earlier about manual gearboxes are true for all manual gear boxes with a manually controlled clutch.
Good point.
One other FYI, I believe that the SMG has 6 settings, and in the 6th setting (race), it does whatever the driver asks, regardless of driver error or damage. I think there is also some special way to activate the 6th setting, where as the other 5 are easily selected.

/<
Old 06-24-2003, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SJSHARKS
I can't help but think that any mechanical device which goes from 9000 rpm's to zero in the blink of an eye is not headed for some future mechanical problems.
For the engine to go from 9k rpm to 0 rpm (when the clutch is engaged) in the blink of an eye, the car would have to go from about 35 mph (rev limiter in first gear, more if you're in a higher gear) to zero mph in the blink of an eye.

When the rev limiter cuts spark and/or fuel (I don't remember which on this particular car), the rear wheels still drive the engine at the same rpm. The revs fall only as the car speed falls. Acceleration ceases, but rpm's don't change much at all.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LT'S S2K
[B]Any advice on good-ok downshift mph for the gears?
i.e.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:41 PM

For the engine to go from 9k rpm to 0 rpm (when the clutch is engaged) in the blink of an eye, the car would have to go from about 35 mph (rev limiter in first gear, more if you're in a higher gear) to zero mph in the blink of an eye.

When the rev limiter cuts spark and/or fuel (I don't remember which on this particular car), the rear wheels still drive the engine at the same rpm. The revs fall only as the car speed falls. Acceleration ceases, but rpm's don't change much at all.
Unless, of course, the car suffers a catastrophic engine or transmission failure which would cause the entire drive train, including the rear wheels, to sieze up.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by payneinthe
[B]

Downshifting to 1st and 2nd, I always double clutch and rev match.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:24 PM

Sorry, didn't mean that as an insult.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:45 PM

you are screwed if you encounter a mechanical overrev(downshift into wrong gear). this is where the speed of the engine is trying to catch up with the tranny speed and the compuer rev limiter cannot stop that crap.

Quick Reply: Rev limiter and blown engines?