S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Retro-fit: Rear glass window

Old 08-22-2001, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also think the zippered piece can be replaced with a new zippered piece with glass in it.

I'll worry about whether I want to do that or not when my plastic window craps out, not now. Who knows, the new arrangement might have a problem also. Let the 2002s try it out.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:30 PM

my 2 cents-

a picture is not sufficient for us to determine the extent of remodeling/jiggering necessary to accomodate the glass window.

i would be remiss in pointing out that many reputable manufacturers (Robbins, for example) have designed economical glass window replacements for the gen I Miata. The glass ended up being somewhat smaller than the plastic and it's important to note that the Miata window laid flat and didn't fold like ours but... I put a Robbins top on my old Miata when the time came for replacement. It's a very nice piece and Robbins offered two options. option1 - replace the whole top and get the glass window. great option if your top is tired. option 2 replace the back piece only and gain a glass window. very easy for any competent auto upholstery shop to do. by the by, the back miata window had a zipper on it as well . it was way, way more sturdy than our zipper as the back panel was meant to be unzipped each time the top was lowered/raised but the concept is very similar.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:30 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Gary Gilpin
Hey MAV,

Who are all those headless people trying to look at your cay
Oh no... figures at the GAP, the picture isn't really of my real S (I will be taking some this weekend or next), its off the Honda Japanese site. Here's the link : http://www.honda.co.jp/S2000/style/gallery...to/photo52.html

As for the the glass window, I will be interested in replacing my plastic piece (my only complaint about the car after 2 months of ownership) once we can find out more info from Honda about a retrofit.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by funsdead
[B]Giampiero,
Old 08-22-2001, 06:49 PM

So who's gonna organize a group buy for the glass window?

FYI....
Plastic rear window (part # 86317-S2A-003) costs $158.67 (http://www.hparts.com/cgi-bin/bcimports/624453) or $216.72 at the dealer.

If I had to guess, the glass window should cost about $300 at Hparts when it becomes available.
Old 08-22-2001, 06:55 PM

Glass WILL cut down on rear vis. Any insurance problems here to decrease the vis that the car originally came with?

Car should be driven with top down anyway, but I'm going to be one to drive it in winter as well - rear glass probably would hold up better - although may scratch like the plastic. How strong of glass are we talking here?
Old 08-22-2001, 07:09 PM

For everyone who owns a stook as a weekend toy or has the luxury of living in a place were the sun shows 365 days a years doesn't need to worry about the rear window. But for the rest, like me, the stook is a daily driver and here in NY I rains and snows so the addition of a glass window is VERY appealing. Any GB formed I will be on. The zip in/ zip out idea seems quite feasable.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Raptor
[B]I have more experience with Honda factory replacement rear windows than I care to think about.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Raptor
[B]I have more experience with Honda factory replacement rear windows than I care to think about.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by XRMD
[B]Glass WILL cut down on rear vis.
How do you know? There's a lot of dead space on the bottom half of the window that is covered by the windscreen/compartment. It looks to me like there's probably about 4 more inches added to the bottom vinyl below the window. Since it's at an angle with respect to the rear view mirror, it's probably visually about 3 inches. Then subtract off the 2 inches of black plastic on the windscreen and you're probably left about maybe 1 inch above the windscreen black casing, maybe even less than that. It could even be none, who knows.

David

Quick Reply: Retro-fit: Rear glass window