S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Retro-fit: Rear glass window

Old 08-22-2001, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Giampiero, Are you Sure.......If so that is very BAD NEWS cuz that would mean it's gonna be quite expensive
Old 08-22-2001, 11:56 AM

I mean car
Old 08-22-2001, 12:00 PM

funsdead;
I am pretty sure because the size are different.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:07 PM

what do you mean the size is different? the window size? the panel size? the whole top?

without knowing any more than anyone else...i would guess that it isn't necessary to change the entire top to retrofit the glass back. unless honda changed the top frame design (which i seriously doubt...and would then be perhaps more expensive than the hard top), then the rear panel with the plastic window should be able to be replaced with the glass version. the glass window looks like half the size of the plastic window and it looks like the glass ends where the plastic folds in half so hopefully there isn't a fit problem. defroster feature would be similar to the hardtop fit...which begs the question of whether you can have both the hard top and the glass window...
Old 08-22-2001, 12:10 PM

The plastic rear window is the only problem (and a minor one at that), I have with my car. I figured that due to the fold in it when dropping the top, the glass window would have to be smaller (located above the fold).

Now that I see it, chopped off at the bottom, IMO, it's kinda ugly. Combined with the reduced vision, I'll replace plastic with plastic when necessary.

Besides, plastic is more pure, classic, sports car...

...And its LIGHTER
Old 08-22-2001, 12:20 PM
Tox

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tile
[B]...without knowing any more than anyone else...i would guess that it isn't necessary to change the entire top to retrofit the glass back.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:57 PM

sure, we won't know for sure until honda releases more info but i would bet a good amount of money that nothing changed in terms of the body design. a redesign two model years into a production run (a limited run at that) is too expensive for any auto maker...both in making more autos (retooling plants) and supporting a relative handful of cars for future service parts. i work with a gal who used to work at mazda during the early miata days and (although it is not impossible) she stated that it is very improbable that any major redesign occurred. look at cars that won't make it out of the first design due to poor sales (are we all thinking of the aztek or is it just me???), they usually have a decent run to offset manufacturing costs and then they are killed off.

i think that it will just be the rear panel because just looking at the picture and observing how the top folds into the well, it looks like if only half the window existed, it would fit fine. plus, from the inside of the car, looking at the rear panel, it is zippered on to facilitate replacements parts. from a design point of view, first choice would be to exhaust possibilities from what you have first, and then move on to a redesign when all else fails. absolute worst case scenario is that honda redesigned the entire top frame only which would then need a all new top as well. but the way it attaches to the car would not have changed so retrofit should be possible...so it should not be a matter of can we do it, it should come down to how much is it worth to you.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:03 PM
Vee

No thanks ... I like being able to see the trunk when I parallel park. I actually LIKE the plastic rear window. Simple and functional.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:24 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,285 Likes on 990 Posts

I have more experience with Honda factory replacement rear windows than I care to think about. I've had my rear window replaced 3 times under warranty. The top has to come off, which takes 6 hrs. Each replacement window has developed foggy areas because the 2 layers of plastic weren't laminated together properly and air got in between them. If I had known this, I wouldn't have replaced the first one. Honda really doesn't have it together on this one.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:34 PM

because of the size of the window, it almost looks as if you could take out the old plastic window by using the zippers and then just add on the glass window and zipper that thing back in place..looks like it'll work but we'll have to see..

Quick Reply: Retro-fit: Rear glass window