S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top

Old 05-07-2007, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i'm now in week 2 of my Robbins Top Install.

1: The Robbins instructions SUCK. They only detail the changes for the frame!
2: How the hell do you work those little cone-and-button lookin' things?
3: using regular rivets on the rainrail is a recipe for disaster, there's no room to either side for the stub to stick out!
4: My tab at the bottom of the frame behind the window (the foam covered one that only had a hole through half) doesn't seem to line up, it's got a little ear at the top of the plastic tab, is it permissible to trim this, or is there a reason for it?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noizemaker,May 7 2007, 05:23 AM
So i'm now in week 2 of my Robbins Top Install.

1: The Robbins instructions SUCK. They only detail the changes for the frame!
2: How the hell do you work those little cone-and-button lookin' things?
3: using regular rivets on the rainrail is a recipe for disaster, there's no room to either side for the stub to stick out!
4: My tab at the bottom of the frame behind the window (the foam covered one that only had a hole through half) doesn't seem to line up, it's got a little ear at the top of the plastic tab, is it permissible to trim this, or is there a reason for it?
Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time dude.

The little button and cone things are extras. Just toss them.

You have to use the rivets with washers as mentioned in the install. Also, don't forget to pull on the rivet gun until the tab breaks off. They should be flush when they're installed.

The plastic tab is the hardest part to do. You have to really pay attention how the OEM. one is installed. You'll have to poke holes throught the new canvas once things are aligned and use a tiny stubby screwdriver to install it.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 AM

wow, excellent instructions! these annihilate the previous write up for a (non-Robbins) glass window top on a 00-01
Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 AM

someone get a mod to make this a STICKY!!

great write up, man
Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cyclon36,May 7 2007, 03:09 AM
Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time dude.

The little button and cone things are extras. Just toss them.

You have to use the rivets with washers as mentioned in the install. Also, don't forget to pull on the rivet gun until the tab breaks off. They should be flush when they're installed.

The plastic tab is the hardest part to do. You have to really pay attention how the OEM. one is installed. You'll have to poke holes throught the new canvas once things are aligned and use a tiny stubby screwdriver to install it.
Extras? Yeah, how about they not give me "extras", and they give me backing washers instead for the rivets...and enough rivets in the first place?!

Nah, i know one side of the rivets end up flush... but the sleeved side that mushrooms tended to leave a ~3/8ths inch mushroomed portion that didn't have anywhere to sit on the rainrail.

I've got the idea on the only way the tab can fit (the dog ear pointing "up" into the rail) but why didn't they just put that hole through both halves in the first place? Now that it's in place, I can't get my fabric punch (that I had to use on the elastic that they couldn't be bothered to punch!) down in that hole.

I've got the top all the way down and am working vertically with plenty of space. Should I have the top oriented differently?

Next time you call Robbins to order more tops, can you please, please tell them to start bundling a printout of your how-to? It blows their install document away.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noizemaker,May 7 2007, 01:39 PM
Extras? Yeah, how about they not give me "extras", and they give me backing washers instead for the rivets...and enough rivets in the first place?!

Nah, i know one side of the rivets end up flush... but the sleeved side that mushrooms tended to leave a ~3/8ths inch mushroomed portion that didn't have anywhere to sit on the rainrail.

I've got the idea on the only way the tab can fit (the dog ear pointing "up" into the rail) but why didn't they just put that hole through both halves in the first place? Now that it's in place, I can't get my fabric punch (that I had to use on the elastic that they couldn't be bothered to punch!) down in that hole.

I've got the top all the way down and am working vertically with plenty of space. Should I have the top oriented differently?

Next time you call Robbins to order more tops, can you please, please tell them to start bundling a printout of your how-to? It blows their install document away.
I find it easiest to work with the top halfway up.

Yeah, the lack of install instruction is what discouraged a lot of people to buying the tops. That's the main reason why I did the write up.

I'm actually out of the top game though. I've had too many problems with delayed shipments and price matching with competitors that I figured I'd just better back out. It's mostly b/c I have to go through a middle man to get the tops as Robbins won't deal directly with me unless I carry their entire line.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 AM

That's dissapointing. You were a good seller to work with.

I've done 2 top installs on my old Miata, i'm not unfamiliar with a lot of the processes, but Robbins didn't/doesn't go out of their way to offer tips/tricks/tools lists, etc. Your howto was really useful.

I'll try moving the top halfway up.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noizemaker,May 7 2007, 11:42 AM
That's dissapointing. You were a good seller to work with.

I've done 2 top installs on my old Miata, i'm not unfamiliar with a lot of the processes, but Robbins didn't/doesn't go out of their way to offer tips/tricks/tools lists, etc. Your howto was really useful.

I'll try moving the top halfway up.
Robbins doesn't do this because they want their tops installed by professionals so as to avoid consumers installing their tops improperly and then going back to them because their tops fit incorrectly.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:59 PM

Okay, this is driving me nuts.

I've now riveted and installed the rail on the back edge of the window to try and hold the top in place while i worked on the screws! Still nothing lines up!

Any tips for me here? I'm trying to line up the plastic tabbed piece w/o putting a hole in the outer since i've no way to line it up. Is it permissible to poke a hole in the outer after all?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post pictures?

Quick Reply: Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top